WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Raw vs jpeg

Old 08-02-10, 17:28

I shoot in RAW only and extract all the JPEGS from the flash card later using a small piece of software called Preview Extractor, this way you don't take up unecessary card space with extra files that you already have embedded in your RAW file, also you don't need to run a fully fledged program like Photoshop or others just to see your JPEGS .

Follow this web link thread for more info.

http://drchung.new21.net/previewextractor/

For rendering Nikon NEF files you can download Nikons free software from the following web links.

Nikon ViewNX v1.52 Full Version for Windows: http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/a...49/r_id/127673

Nikon Transfer v1.53 Full Version for Windows: http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/a...49/r_id/127673

For a fully fledged Nikon NEF rendering program there's only one, trial download at the following link.

Nikon CaptureNX 2 Trial for Windows: http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/a...49/r_id/127673

Nikon CaptureNX 2.2.4 Updater for above: http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/a...49/r_id/127673

I use Nikon CaptureNX 2.2.4 for all my RAW files, it's far more than just a rendering tool and it's used by many on this forum, I would fully reccommend it.

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 08-02-10 at 17:49.
Old 08-02-10, 18:55

I'm not familiar with nikon RAW, but use lightroom for all mine (canon bodies). I find it very intuitive and easy to use, plus it has a very good archiving system to help retrieve images at a later date. I believe it supports nikon RAW as well as various other manufacturers.
Old 08-02-10, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufg1mp View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. It does Open the idea back up should i shoot raw, as id almost decided to shoot large jpeg. What everyone has said does make alot of sense. My question is.....I can shoot in raw+basic jpeg, or just raw, which is the best option here. Can anyone recomend a method for processing the raw images for a nikon, as i am totally clueless.
Your camera came bundled with some raw conversion software. If you shoot raw (only), and run the photos through this software, it will convert the pictures to jpegs just as though you'd shot in-camera jpeg. The difference is that you will also have the raw file to play with using a more advanced raw conversion program once you've got the hang of it. I see little point in shooting raw+jpeg, it just takes up more space on the card as far as I can see.

Personally, I use Capture One for raw processing, but I know that for Nikon, NX is generally regarded as the package to use.
Old 08-02-10, 22:58

Thanks guys i have tried using captureNX but only having 512mb of ram my pc grinds to a halt. I know i need to upgrade to a couple of gig but funds are tight at the moment. I didnt get any software with my camera that im aware of. Can anyone tell me what its called so i can try and downloads it.
Old 09-02-10, 02:18

Quote:
Thanks guys i have tried using captureNX but only having 512mb of ram my pc grinds to a halt. I know i need to upgrade to a couple of gig but funds are tight at the moment. I didnt get any software with my camera that im aware of. Can anyone tell me what its called so i can try and downloads it.
I have already quoted the different software that is available from Nikon, Nikon ViewNX and Nikon Transfer are both free downloads, (web download links listed in my previous post). Either of these software packages will do what you want, but for really easy JPEG extraction use the Preview Extractor that I also gave a web download link to in the previous post.

nirofo.
Old 09-02-10, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
I have already quoted the different software that is available from Nikon, Nikon ViewNX and Nikon Transfer are both free downloads, (web download links listed in my previous post). Either of these software packages will do what you want, but for really easy JPEG extraction use the Preview Extractor that I also gave a web download link to in the previous post.

nirofo.
Thank you for the advice.
Old 12-02-10, 23:02

For me shooting in RAW is a pain especially when shooting macros as the FZ30 can't transfer the RAW files fast enough to the card. So for that sort of stuff its HQ jpeg.

From time to time I have a bout where I shoot in RAW, cos perhaps its good for the soul and all. But I doubt I've taken more than 20 RAW shots all the way though to finishing off. The majority of those I really don't think there was an awful amount of difference between what I ended up twiddling to, and the result that the software defaulted to. Life is too short for RAW. It does give you a massive amount of scope for fiddling and twiddling and if you like that sort of thing then why not. But for myself I just can't be arsed with it.
Old 12-02-10, 23:31

Quote:
Thanks guys for the replies. It does Open the idea back up should i shoot raw, as id almost decided to shoot large jpeg. What everyone has said does make alot of sense. My question is.....I can shoot in raw+basic jpeg, or just raw, which is the best option here. Can anyone recomend a method for processing the raw images for a nikon, as i am totally clueless.

This is a subject that I know quite well...
trust me go on shooting RAW...
I was used to scan prints and to Photoshop a lot.... now with RAW I do not even use anymore Photoshop.

Is not matter only of quality but matter of non destructive manipulation you can do with a RAW file.... you can do amazing thing!!!
is not just better can non EVEN compare RAW with jpg possibility.

So...

1) make a good shot, the best you can do, always

2) make it RAW

3) use a good software.... go for Lightroom!

4) make all your manipulation you need on the raw file using Lightroom... crop/light/contrast/colours/spot/black point......... keep in mind the shot is just the beginning.... but is the most important thing.... YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF YOUR DARKROOM... this is amazing...

5) when you have finished and happy with it... export and save as
a) JPG file max resolution that you will use for print
b) DNG file as security it will keep raw info plus the modification you made
c) alway keep also original RAW copy

Regards
Old 13-02-10, 15:30

Default Raw V Jpeg

how many times have you taken a shot to find that you have forgot to set the w/b or the exposure is wrong.

at least with RAW you can alter most of this, drawback is the size of image i shoot both and mainley use jpeg except for the difficult adjusments when i pull the raw file.

Nikon capture and Photoshop let you manipulate RAW.
Old 16-02-10, 10:16

nikons, nikon transfer,and view nx are freedown load from nikon europe.
both easy to set up.and easy to use.
i alway take my photo in raw,because all the info is there,if you ever need it.
view nx,will can change it ti a jep or a tiif,which i then keep in a diffrent folder.if i need to do more then i use nx2,which is not that often.