WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Why so expensive....jessops

Old 27-02-10, 20:38

Default Why so expensive....jessops

why are jessops so expensive..? I know they have overheads, but the prices are the same on their website.

I went in there to look at the lenses, they didnt have the one im after but they had one of the tamron lenses i was looking at.

It is 90 pound more in jessops....Why????

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...7050/show.html

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...etcurrency=gbp
Old 27-02-10, 20:54

'Cos some people must buy them at that price I guess.
Old 27-02-10, 21:23

Because you had the opportunity to go and look and try. You could always buy blind from a cheaper website - your choice.
Old 27-02-10, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsnapper View Post
Because you had the opportunity to go and look and try. You could always buy blind from a cheaper website - your choice.

I spose there is that....but unless you needed the item there and then why would you pay 90 pound more when you could try it in jessops then go home and buy it online once you tried it out.
Old 28-02-10, 07:01

Then you would have the smug satisfaction of knowing that you helped drive Jessops out of business. There would also be the added bonus that you could then claim that Jessops deserved to go under because they were so expensive.
Old 28-02-10, 11:02

What puzzles me is that their on line prices are the same whereas most shops with a high street presence and a web site have a lower price on line. People may well handle the goods in the shop and buy there and then while the item is hot in their hand but if you are on the web any way I would have thought you would be surfing around for a good price with no compunction to buy from Jessops.
Old 28-02-10, 12:04

I agree totally. I guess in alot of places they have the monopoly because they are the only camera shop. You would have thought they would be competitive online.
Old 28-02-10, 14:48

Having recently had to write a business plan for a (fictitious) photographic company, it's the overheads that are crippling. The high profile, high footfall area shops they occupy will be draining the cash out of them at a faster rate than they can get it back in sales. You only have to look at the recent business reports on Jessops to realise they are in dire straights.

They have to get the cash in somehow, and there's enough people out there who do not shop around before buying to be able to charge the prices they do.

As Mike says, eventually, there will not be the option to go into a shop and handle the goods before buying online.
Old 28-02-10, 17:38

When Jessops first became well known they used to work out of a pokey little shop in the backstreets of Leicester, they had the best prices in the country and people in there that knew what they were selling and cared, customers used to be queueing at the door to buy their goods! Now there are chains of shops, various sell outs to bigger companies, massive overheads, shop assistants that don't know one end of a lens to the other and care even less, imaginary or non existant stock, overpricing, etc, etc. And they wonder why the shops going down the pan!!! I would suggest if they want to save it they need to get back to basics, shed their big company image, get rid of all the expensive shops in the town/city mainstreets, employ some fully trained and articulate staff who have an interest in the job they're doing, and reduce prices to be competitive with the rest of the trade. Otherwise, "GOODBYE JESSOPS".

nirofo.
Old 28-02-10, 23:54

I guess they have to run actual shops, which means paying real staff, something which Amazon doesn't have to do. It's a vicious circle, as they lose customers they put in smaller orders for goods from manufacturers which means they get smaller bulk discounts, which in turn pushes up their prices.