WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Advice re Macro lens?

Old 08-02-06, 22:09

Thanks to all who gave advice. I am now the proud owner of the Nikon 60mm Micro.

Nogbad
Old 08-02-06, 22:29

Well done Nogbad,
a very good choice and a fine piece of glass. I am sure you will not be disappointed with it,
So, it's only 21.25hrs, out you go into your garden and get us some "Glowworm" images!!!
regards Subzero.
Old 08-02-06, 23:53

They are manufacturers who try to confuse buyer about macro lens. In the good old days macro mean taking closeup photos of actual size or bigger. You need lens designed for sharp pictures at close range.

Here is my picture of dragonfly using MicroNikkor60mm. If you do not use special macro lens it will usually not possible to get sharp pictures at close range. If your lens focal length is too long you will not get enough depth of field.

As for auto-focus for macro, I used to have a 50mm Pentax macro lens with manual focus. Using this MicroNikkor with auto focus is very convenient indeed. I shall never go back to macro lenses without auto focus again.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...hp/photo/80393
Old 09-02-06, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaman
Your post beat mine by about 60 seconds!

Anyway ... check again on your 200mm lens! The literature says: Focuses from infinity to 19.4 inches (1:1 reproduction ratio). Sounds like life size to me!

But your comment on manufacturers using the term macro to oft times mean smaller than life size, you are very correct.
Jim: You looked at the AF version. I have the MF version which only goes to 1:2. So in other words Nikon use micro (their term) for 1:2. I think the 70-180 micro zoom also only goes to about 1:1.3.

Leif