WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

New venture into Macro

Old 22-12-05, 22:30

So when one is shooting in Macro,using a macro lens which is the best setting to use please on the camera.The Macro setting ,as such,or should one use one of the other progs and put in ones own settings.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 23-12-05, 00:07

Christine, more often than not I switch to manual focus and quite often manual exposure + use a tripod whenever possible.

However if you are using a tripod switch to "Aperture Priority", setting a smallish f stop (large f number) to give as much "Depth of Field" as possible.
Alternatively use "Shutter Priority" and set a shutter speed that you know you can handhold, but be aware that DOF is very limited when shooting macro so the slightest movement can throw the subject OOF.

Sometimes a long lens is ideal, attached is a water lilly taken with the Bigma (Sigma 50-500mm), using a macro lens I would have got mighty wet, not to mention the Crocs that where sharing the waterhole with the lillies. The focal length for this shot was 313mm

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water lilly.jpg (176.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 23-12-05, 22:19

Thanks Wolfie.i just wondered if anyone else did use the pre set Macro mode,as it is obviously there for a reason.For Macro shots of Butterflies etc,it is not always practical to use a tripod,as one is chasing them around from bush to bush(not literally!!).Also I try to take shots of butterflies on the sand dunes and a tripod is a no go in those conditions.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 24-12-05, 09:54

Default Flash guns

So I can consider all the possible expenses before I buy a macro lens (probably the Sigma 105mm - I can't afford the Canon if there is further expenditure although looking at the excellent photos in the gallery there seems little between them). Can anybody tell me if a flash unit is a necessary accessory or merely desirable?

I do not have an external flash and would need to factor this into my budget. Will a general purpose flash be OK or is a dedicated Macro (ring?) flash required? If so recommendations/advice would be welcome

Like most of us I have made mistakes in the past and found that is is cheaper to buy the correct (always seems to be the most expensive!) equipment rather than aim lower and end up buying the second choice only to upgrade later. I'm sure we've all been there.

I also notice some members have included work using a macro lens with extension tubes for greater magnification on still subjects. Is there a way of calculating the magnification when using tubes? I presume that these are used at the expense of a loss of light.

Ken
Old 24-12-05, 18:22

HI Kennygee

I would agree with the positive comments about the Tamron 90mm lens.

Kevin
Old 24-12-05, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygee
So I can consider all the possible expenses before I buy a macro lens (probably the Sigma 105mm - I can't afford the Canon if there is further expenditure although looking at the excellent photos in the gallery there seems little between them). Can anybody tell me if a flash unit is a necessary accessory or merely desirable?

I do not have an external flash and would need to factor this into my budget. Will a general purpose flash be OK or is a dedicated Macro (ring?) flash required? If so recommendations/advice would be welcome

I also notice some members have included work using a macro lens with extension tubes for greater magnification on still subjects. Is there a way of calculating the magnification when using tubes? I presume that these are used at the expense of a loss of light.
I am trying to cover flash in its own thead with info that will build in time. Took some pics to post today, came here posted one in the gallery and due to the number of pics posted today have only just got here never mind sorting the pics.
In principle I am suggesting a way of doing flash on the cheap. You really have to do a lot of macro to get your moneys worth out of ring flashes etc, unless your subjects require you go that route.

You would loose a lot of light with extension tubes, and without checking I don't know about compatability issues with digital camera bodies.

In size terms ( inches across ) how small are the subjects you intend to photograph? It helps in understanding your requirements.

So far I would suggest all your cash initially goes into the lens. Flash on the cheap and forget tubes for now. If you go that way you would eventually wish you'd got bellows - MORE MONEY

Don
Old 24-12-05, 23:56

Quote:
I can't afford the Canon if there is further expenditure although looking at the excellent photos in the gallery there seems little between them).
You would really need to see a full file image to make that judgement. Given the quality of wolfies images I would have no doubt that he would pick the superior optic. In my time I have spent a fortune on the upgrade path. Now if something becomes a primary interest I just get the best and cut a corner elsewhere. Saves in the long term.

Don
Old 25-01-06, 09:21

If I could return to Christine's point re the Canon Macro setting.

What in-camera settings are made by the camera when the macro option is chosen? How are these settings designed to help in macro situations?

I ask because if these settings are helpful they may act as a guide when using your own settings in manual mode.

Ken
Old 25-01-06, 11:05

Quote:
If I could return to Christine's point re the Canon Macro setting.

What in-camera settings are made by the camera when the macro option is chosen? How are these settings designed to help in macro situations?

I ask because if these settings are helpful they may act as a guide when using your own settings in manual mode.
Kenny, to be quite honest my camera's have never been used in any of these programmed modes as I tend to use manual or shutter priority.

So from the manual, the camera sets "One Shot AF", single "Drive Mode", "Evaluative Metering", "automatic ISO" and "AWB".

Which just leaves the composition to the photographer.

How are these settings designed to help in macro situations?
By allowing the photography to concentrate solely on composition.

More often than not I find the ambient lighting unsuitable, insufficient light or unwanted shadows, so I use my flashgun either with a softbox or Stofen Omni-bounce attached, this is the main reason that I always switch the camera to manual, including focussing,

I would never use an ISO in excess of 100, as noise always seems apparent above this figure. I do use AWB.
As I shoot in manual the other settings do not apply.

Harry
Old 25-01-06, 11:29

Wolfie

Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering if there was some 'magical' setting that I was overlooking.

It would seem that the program macro settings are nothing more than you would probably arrive at yourself. I do agree that it is better to retain control of ISO rather than leave it to the camera.

I note your comments re flash in macro photography. This is an area which I am finding difficult to understand as I do not have an external flash with which to experiment.

I have been reading Don's helpful series of posts and to fully understand the subject I will probably have to save up and make this my next purchase. Then I can experiment and perhaps learn the techniques involved.

One of the biggest pleasures is learning new things and getting results that please you.

BTW Super gallery.

Ken