WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Equipment Reviews

Equipment Reviews Post a review of your equipment in here

AF-S VR Nikkor 300/2.8G IF-ED (Nano)

Old 21-04-06, 22:12

Default AF-S VR Nikkor 300/2.8G IF-ED (Nano)

Some thoughts on this lens which I purchased some months ago.I appreciate this lens may have very limited interest on this forum, but here goes anyway.
It arrived from the Channel Isles in a very big box which when opened, was contained in a very smart bag, (a bit like a small LP 600AW).
I was immediately impressed by the feel and build quality of the lens and its general balance in the hand.Size wise it is about 270mm long,115mm dia, the CF hood is about 120mm long, which when attached makes the lens look much bigger than it actually is.The weight is 2870g (about 6.3 lbs) which some may consider heavy but it is very managable especially with the VR function.
It is not my intention to regergitate all the "techno bable" in great detail but to say that it has manual over ride,VR, a focus limiter switch (full and 6m to infinity),norm and active VR, memory recall, small slip in filter drawer,a sound monitor to advise when you have reached the memory reset position and 4 in number focus lock buttons, and rotating tripod colar with removable foot ( screwdriver).

The lens comes with the HK30 hood, which as stated is quite long, and more than adequate for cutting out extrenous light.The bag (case) will give good protection if dropped, and the front lens cover is a huge pull over, well padded sock affair with draw strings.

Reason for buying this lens was for birding ,and to be used as a "poor" mans very close focusing (2.25m ish), hand holdable, light weight 600mm/5.6 VR lens.
So how did it perform?
The VR is brilliant, a very simple press stud and about 5 degrees of rotation and its on/off very quick and easy to use.It is not a sliding switch as per 80-400 or 70-200 nikkors.
On its own 300/2.8 very, very fast and very sharp.So sharp that since my razor packed up I use it to shave with!!The VR is a great feature on this lens especially hand held or on a bean bag.
As a 420/4 (TC 1.4) it is still very, very sharp and fast and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
As a 510/4.8 (TC 1.7) still very sharp and fast (D2H/D2X) and again you you would be hard pressed to see the difference.
So far so good, BUT, there is always a BUT/IF ONLY, and sadly, used as a 600/5.6 (TC 2.0) you can see there is a slight fall off in sharpness at f5.6 (wide open), but sharpness gets better at f8/f11.The lens is certainly useable at this combination but if you are use to seeing the outstanding results at 300,420 and 510 you maybe a little disappointed.
At lower magnifications the lens can be used wide open and exhibits good color and contrast.To sum up an expensive lens, which more than justifies the price tag and is a very worthy member of the Nikkor family, it will suit sport /bird photographers especially with the added reach of the 1.4/1.7 TCs.

regards Subzero.
Old 21-04-06, 22:35
Admin

Thanks for that... there's at least 2 members on here awaiting this lens, myself included
Does anyone actually use the 4 focus lock buttons on the big Nikons... I can't even reach the ones on my 600/4. I can't help but think they are a bit redundant in today's world of multi point focus cameras.

How do you find it on a tripod? some say that there's a slight price to pay if you leave the VR on, despite it being officially safe to use the 300's VR on a tripod.

I've already given Adrian (AJDH on BF) a grilling over how he's finding the lens... so it's good to find another victim

I've got at least 10 days to wait before I see mine, Warehouse Express out of stock.

Any shots from it to show? Should be great for the Peregrines down there.

cheers,
Andy
Old 23-04-06, 20:48

Hi Andy ,
Many thanks for your comments, I am looking foreward to your more pro review, than this humble offering. So, to answer your questions-
1. Focus buttons, todate I have never used them (300/2.8 or 70-200/2.8),
but your question made me think (well that's a first).Yesterday I went to Brixham, to "snap" Fulmars/Kittiwakes/Guillemonts in flight, and found it very difficult to get constant focus on the inflight birds because of the mist/low light and contrast.After reading your remarks, I wondered IF I had been using the 300/2.8VR and had locked on to a bird and then pressed these buttons, could I have held focus for much longer in the above conditions??Next time I use the lens in anger I will give it a go and report back.
2. Tripod/monopod, the book says VR can be done but slacken/loosen off all locking argts.for tripods.I have tried it on the manfrotto 055 (ally/CF) with 501/393 heads and not noticed any obvious differences. The 393 is basically very free moving so no problems there, and the 501 can be slackened right off.I have tried it on a monopod (Manfrotto 680B) and no obvious problems there.The VR does seem to work better with some degree of movement, makes you wonder if you should get a really shakey tripod for best results!!

Battery will take a little more draining after a long session and if you going all day and doing many shots you may need to consider a second battery.On a D1X it eats batteries quicker than a kid with a tube of "Smarties", with a 2H/2X with that amazing battery life it may not be such a problem.
I have tried "tests" with bar codes (oh no not b****y bar codes again) but these were for that moment and were never kept, these test under "controlled" conditions only serve to prove what the camera/lens and you and your skills are upto under the best conditions.I have taken real images with the 300/2.8 and 1.4/1.7 (all 2x were binned) these are in the system some where, but at this time I would have to look hard and deep to find them.
Soon the lens will be put to a real test, as I am now concentrating mainly on birds in flight and their flight patterns, and the targets this month as part of my current project will be swifts/martins/swallows on the wing, and this should demonstrate if this is a milk bottle or a piece of crystal glass (or I am getting to slow).
As to the Peregrines, the 300mm will come into its own when they take to the air; branches,leaves etc permitting, but for normal images the distance is too great for this size lens.
An error in my original post!!, the tripod foot is removable, not with a screw driver but with a 2.5mm hex key (4 screws), it also states that the collar can be removed ,but see your Nikon service center.I assume that this is to enable the use of Whimberly/Kirk bits and pieces.
Andy you will be well pleased with this lens when it arrives and it should compliment your 600/4 very well.
As an aside, but still on 300mm lenses, the 300/4 AFS + 1.7TC is also very good combo (very small/compact and light and much cheaper) and functions with metering/af this maybe of interest to someone.
regards Subzero.
Old 25-05-06, 19:34
Admin

Well, along with 3 other WPF members, I now have the 300/2.8 VR. Just a brief report on my initial findings.

It is far more compact than I had imagined (I have previously owned a Nikkor 300/2.8) and this one seems far shorter in length, I think some Japanese designer has been active with a hacksaw on the hood or it's a trick of the eye with the main lens barrel being so fat.

Weight wise it does seem far lighter in weight, but I know this is solely because I'm now used to lugging a 600/4 around and that this is a better balanced lens (a badly balanced lens can feel twice as heavy than it really is)

Tripod foot seems minute compared to my bigger lens... and it was removed very quickly (half hoped it would weigh a fair bit, but it's removal didn't shed too many grms). The facility to remove the whole collar was attractive until I realised that I'd lose the lugs for the shoulder/neck-strap... so that remains.

I was a bit put out that the lens didn't arrive in one of the familiar gold Nikon boxes or even a flight case (unlikely on the latter), just a cardboard box that could've come from the back of a supermarket... wouldn't have been too surprised to see Walkers Crisps written on the box.

Big bonus is the superb lens/camera case... why was I ever searching for camera luggage for this set-up when it came supplied? I've never seen a camera bag so adjustable for size, every aspect is adjustable... I could almost imagine getting my 600/4 in there (+camera!!). Anyway, D2x attached to 1.7x tc attached to 300m VR fits in it.

As with Subzero, this lens was purchased for no other reason than for a handheld VR lens with teleconverters... though my ambitions had gone no further than the 1.4x and 1.7x. When Nikon users are thinking of fast telephotos of around 400mm, the 200-400mm VR looms above and pleads to be purchased... but, although it's not a huge amount heavier, the 200-400mm is a very long beast that doesn't lend itself to dangling around the neck, as the 300/2.8 has been doing all day.

To summarise; This is an extremely portable lens. In use today, it did not feel any worse than my old 80-400mm VR lens. When taking a shot, it feels very well balanced with most of the weight towards the camera end (helped by a hefty D2x)

VR seems more far responsive and rapid in kicking-in than the 80-400.

AF is very rapid... but most USM/HSM/AF-S lenses are, and the main questions these days revolve around the camera side of the AF equation.

What I had presumed to be nothing more than 4 AF lock buttons on the lens barrel (as with my 600/4) turn out to be multi purpose, the most useful purpose being that a press on any of them will take you straight to a preset focus point (excellent)... unfortunately, if you're handholding the lens, it's a bugger to get to them (tantalisingly just out of reach fro my lens supporting hand)

Lots of sliding switches on this lens, most are just a waste of space really.

Initial results;
300mm bare = sharpness beyond belief, never had a lens this sharp. Backgrounds were totally convincing, natural and smooth fall-off. No real evidence of improvement to image after stopping down. Colours looked totally accurate to me.

300mm + TC-14E = as above, no visible loss of any aspect of the above... even wide open at f4.

300mm + TC-17E = A major (and pleasant) surprise to me. Wide open at f4.8 there was no significant degradation to the image, just very minor softening. at f5.6 we were back to images all but identical from the bare lens. This 500mm combo is going ot be great for chasing butterflies!!

O.K. it turned out to be a nice day, but even stopping down to silly apertures, almost every shot at 500mm was sharp, the keepers outweighed the dross until I was down to 1/50sec speeds.

The success I had with the TC-17E has even had me wondering about the dreaded TC-20E... Though, deep down, I know I should stick to my original plan.

Day one, and I'm delighted with the lens... turns out to be far more hand-holdable than I dared hope for and the results are superb, even out to 500mm. Added bonus in not having to find some dedicated camera luggage for it

cheers,
Andy
Old 25-05-06, 20:29

From the above, I gather you like it.
Old 25-05-06, 21:38

Hi Andy, very pleased that the lens arrived and that it performs as well as you had hoped.
The lens is still good for 300/400/500, but I have tried several times since with the 2x TC and yes the results are reasonable but not in the same league as the 1.4/1.7TCs.
If you can borrow a 2xTC and put the 300 (600/5.6) up against your 600/4 say both at f8??, and see what the difference is.
I will only use the 2x TC when needs must,ie where an image is more important than "out and out" quality.
I note on "another" forum you have asked how to remove the collar, I have looked at this several times, but have not yet "tinkered" with the various screws which may solve the problem ie the tiny,tiny sunken grub screw on the outer collar shield, or the retaining screw which holds the "tripod collar lock screw" in place.
In the mean time, enjoy your lens I am sure as I stated earlier you will get some great images and pleasure from using it, but hey keep it quiet as to how good it is, or everybody else will want one.
regards Subzero.
Old 30-05-06, 10:22
Admin

Yep, I'm liking it more by the minute.

I've slightly altered my handholding stance, so the bottom memory recall button is in reach of my finger.

I have replaced the Nikon strap with an old Optech neoprene one... but I really didn't trust the thin webbing on that, so I customised it with some 2cm webbing... the Optech makes a big difference to the perceived weight around your neck, I'd recommend them to everyone, big lens or little lens.

Here's one with the 1.7x on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg youngdunnock.jpg (160.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 30-05-06, 11:46

Guys,

STOP THIS!! I am beginning to lust over one myself

Whats the type number of the adjustable case as it seems the supplied case is the same as my 70-200VR (not adjustable) and do you think I would get a D2X and this lens into a Lowpro Micro trekker 200 as I can a D2X with 80-400VR or 70-200VR? It seems about 50mm longer than 70-200VR and it is tight in the micro trekker with TC17 also attached.
Old 30-05-06, 12:00
Admin

The supplied case is the CL-L1. With the hood reversed, the length with a d2x+tc-17e+300mm VR is 38cm... it is a tight fit and needs most of the adjustable straps at their longest.

cheers,
Andy
Old 30-05-06, 14:57

I used mine yesterday when the Red Arrows visited. The strap was used for the first time as I had to walk about 1/2 mile to get to the vantage point. The strap may look a bit flimsy where it attaches but it's very strong material. I'd say the two small screws holding the metal attachment loops to the lens are more flimsy.

Following the aircraft was a piece of cake, much easier than following birds. The active focus worked a treat, keeping everything in focus both panning and head-on. I'd set the ISO to 400 in order to catch the action but I think I could have gone down to 200 without problems. About half way through the show my arms started to ache a little but with a few exercises I think this won't be a problem. Thanks to Avi and Andy for the suggestions that the lens would be long enough for the aircraft, in fact it proved perfect.