WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Firefox Version 2 Out Now

Old 30-10-06, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Thanks yelvertoft. I have remove spellbound, it is like you say integrated I never saw that.
Christine,

If you want to use a British English, rather than a US English dictionary, it's very easy. Click into a text entry box (such as the one I'm composing this reply in right now), right-click and select Languages> Add Dictionaries and then click on the Install link fro the English (British) dictionary.

You may have to enable pop-ups and software installation to allow this add-on, just follow the instructions in any banners that appear at the top of the page if you have got these features currently disabled.

Duncan
Old 02-11-06, 19:22
Chris

after a few days use am inclined to go back to 1.5 - downloads disappear instead of being available to use immediately from downloads window; ******* thing uses tabs despite preferences for 'open in new window' and if you click in wrong place they all go, still 2.0.1 soon perhaps. Slightly better at remembering WPF sign in
Old 02-11-06, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal View Post
after a few days use am inclined to go back to 1.5 - downloads disappear instead of being available to use immediately from downloads window;
Set tools > options > main > check box for show the downloads window when downloading a file > uncheck box for close it when all downloads have finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal View Post
******* thing uses tabs despite preferences for 'open in new window' and if you click in wrong place they all go, still 2.0.1 soon perhaps. Slightly better at remembering WPF sign in
I get a new window if I set tools > options > tabs > new pages should be opened in a new window

Have you rebooted your computer after making these changes? I didn't have to but you never know....
Old 02-11-06, 21:00

I think your find Chris is using a Mac - The Mac stuff seems to be way behind others especially on the Java front.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 02-11-06, 23:42
Chris

You are right Robert.

Historically Netscape & Firefox have been very good at serving us and there is a fun site bugzilla for bug reporting, but think I can wait and obviously other folks are pushing it much harder than I am.

Thank you Duncan. Preferences (not tools on mac) set correctly. No difference after restart, progs built on OSX shouldn't need one anyway. There is something in discussions about preventing one starting dodgy programs without prior virus cleaning, but again you can't install a new prog on a mac without master-password consent, so not too relevent. The whole idea is to have recent downloads, at least half being .pdf files, easily accessible just in case one did not file them neatly/rename them recognisably before saving.

Know not to close the LH tab already, I learn!
Old 02-11-06, 23:53

Chris have you got the latest version of OSX ? I know at work it was only a year ago that we could run our Java Client interfaces on Mac properly.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 03-11-06, 09:37
Chris

No Robert, I have stalled at 10.3.9 and still slightly hanker after 10.2.8 - its all been going the wrong way (ie for full user control of the interface) as far as I am concerned.

These things are the usual matter of choice; if I find situations where latest pair of bugs are bothersome, I can always go back to 1.5.7 as there did not seem to be anything wrong with it. Tho there is no harm in making sure one does name and file downloads intelligently. (would be easier if one could kill off all idiot folders like 'documents' and 'downloads' once and for all!)
Old 03-11-06, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Chris, a full list of what's new can be found here:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

There's a lot more too it than the cosmetics and a spell checker.
Good reference Duncan.
But only spell check is an adequate reason for me to use Fox. Not every site is as nicely oriented as WPF, for example just have look at photosig. If you are to just write a critique, you are expected to use all HTML codes just to go to next line, make a link or changing the font to bold etc. No wonder those site are not helping with any format to assist with spelling etc. So new FF is one step ahead for users.
I just don't know why but despite the benefits, I have always stick to IE as every other browser has limited me in one way or another. I guess Uncle Bill's monopoly works fine for me.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 03-11-06, 22:38
Chris

I braved Bugzilla and got a quick reply fixing Tab problem (set it for what you don't want first, then change it!!! )

The fix offered for downloads manager doesn't, but not vital

So OK Firefox 2 has some useful improvements and if you find something bugging you, use bugzilla process (but don't expect the excitement you get from WPF)
Old 05-11-06, 22:11

Another very important feature I see in FF2 is the ability to cash the java text for example when writing this message. On my laptop that has one of these crazy touch sensitive mouse and input devises, it is easy to by mistake go back a page while writing and guess what happens with you come back to the first page, yes everything is erased. Not in FF2. Thanks God.

Another strange thing I discovered; Had to load the software that comes with my ISP, Earthlink, called Total Access. Now the auto spelling of FF2 in not working any more dispute box being checked under the Tools...

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN