WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Basic Computer Security

Old 02-03-08, 18:54

Default Basic Computer Security

Over the few months that I have been a member of WPF I have noticed various members reactions to new viruses, wireless hackers and bogus email attacks.

Can I lay down some basic rules, that if you follow them, should make you and your computer safer.

1) Make sure you have an up to date anti virus program running at all times - don't try and do this on the cheap - use the best you can afford - Recommend - Norton, McAfee etc. These will charge you an annual fee to update your virus definitions but it is worth it.

2) Install your own Firewall software program - as a Mac user I use Open Doorstop X - Set it to STEALTH MODE so that if your machine is "pinged" by an outside source it gets no reply to tell them that there is a computer using that address. It comes with a companion program "Who's There" that tells you where things originate. ENCRYPT your wireless net so that your next door neighbours and any passing lap top or PDA cannot use your wireless net. Your wireless router should have a built in firewall but DO NOT rely just on this!

3) Use a good SPAM filter that learns each time you mark something as SPAM.

4) If you do not recognize the sender - "JUNK IT" or Delete it. Curiosity not only kills Cats but also COMPUTERS !!!

5) NO MATTER HOW TEMPTING DO NOT SET YOUR COMPUTER TO OPEN EMAILS, EMAIL ATTACHMENTS OR DISCS AUTOMATICALLY......... Set up your anti virus to auto scan them first.
IF YOU REGULARLY SWAP DISCS - DO NOT FORGET - JUST BECAUSE IT CAME FROM A RELIABLE FRIEND DOESN"T MEAN ITS NOT INFECTED.

6) A good ISP will do a lot of the work for you but I joined BT when it was just BT - I got on average 3 -5 SPAM MESSAGES a MONTH - since they joined with YAHOO it has Exploded --- Over the past 12 months - I received 18018 Emails of which 15453 were SPAM !!!!

7) ONCE A MONTH RUN A MALWARE PROGRAM OVER THE SYSTEM.

8) ANY OFFER ON LINE THAT LOOKS TO BE TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE - IT PROBABLY IS !!!!!!

THESE SIMPLE RULES APPLY TO BOTH PC's & MACS but it is a fact that there are far fewer things out there to harm a MAC.

Take care out there - BE SAFE.

Andy Miller

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 02-03-08 at 18:59.
Old 04-03-08, 09:31

Now let's have some real rules, provided to you by a computer professional who spends every day of his working life dealing with systems and people who have real-world security issues. *

1: Anti-virus software is your last and least important line of defence. If your AV software is doing anything at all apart from slowing your machine down and creating potential compatibility issues, then you need to examine your routine: you are screwing up somewhere along the line.

1B: Norton, McAfee and Trend (the big three) are amongst the least effective, most intrusive, most performance-robbing packages on the market. There are at least two reasons for this: (a) they are designed this way in order to appeal to people who know little about computers but spend lots in computer supermarkets, and (b) because they have significant market share, they are always the first ones to be targeted by any new malware.

1C: Look at the smaller, more nimble, less targeted AV products if you want effective protection. There are several excellent ones.

2: The best firewalls are hardware firewalls, hands down.

2B: If you are using a software firewall instead, less is more. The built-in Windows XP firewall is, in most respects, superior to the third-party add-on ones. In particular, it has zero administrative overhead, and any firewall you have to do administration work on is an insecure firewall. (Unless you are an IT expert with some knowledge of security matters.)

2C: Don't use wireless anything. There are just too many ways for people to hack into wireless networks. A network cable costs $5. Use it.

3: Spam has nothing at all to do with security.

4: If you do not recognize the sender - delete it. Absolutely right! And even if you do recognise the sender, consider deleting it anyway. Email is still the #1 cause of virus infection. Most infections come from someone you know.

5: Never auto-open anything. Spot on.

6: Always use a safe, modern browser. The single biggest source of spyware infection, and a not insignificant source of virus infection, is Internet Explorer. Always use one of the safe, modern browsers (Firefox, Opera, or Seamonkey). Always.

6A: If you really, really, have to fileshare (Limewire and etc.) be very careful! Filesharing is dangerous.

7: Check periodically for malware. Sure. Good advice.

8: Too good to be true usually is. Yes.

9: It has got nothing to do with PC vs Mac. It's Windows vs everything else. Rough rule of thumb, regard a Linus or Free BSD system as most secure, Mac next, Windows system least secure.

* That bloke I mentioned earlier, the one who has worked for many years in the field and knows a thing or two about security: me.
Old 04-03-08, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post

That bloke I mentioned earlier, the one who has worked for many years in the field and knows a thing or two about security: me.
and a little bit big headed..

find me a 50metre network cable for $5

3: Spam has nothing at all to do with security.

4: If you do not recognize the sender (ie spam) - delete it. Absolutely right! And even if you do recognise the sender, consider deleting it anyway. Email is still the #1 cause of virus infection. Most infections come from someone you know.

don't them two "bits of advice" go against each other a little bit? im sure spam could have a little bit to do with it. unless we're refering to pork luncheon meat?
Old 04-03-08, 15:43

Hi Tannin, sorry if I upset you - but you do not appear to disagree with most of what I said apart from the Anti Virus software and I was trying to make it simple - coming from a Police ( 30 yrs )and Church background my only experience of computer security was in my last twelve years in the Police when I was involved in the setting up of a stand alone system for the local Police and integrating it with the Police National Computer over here. I was more used to multiple firewall protection and Military/Security Service level encryption. My job was to design database search systems for the police and to try and hack/break what others designed for them. I run both Windows XP Pro and Mac OS X on my machine and I agree that most problems come from the Windows software itself - Not wanting to enter a debate - simply put MAC is safer - and as most of us here run Adobe Photoshop or other Photographic applications - LINUX and other OS's are a non starter for the most up to date programs.

But I do maintain that most people infect their own computers by not following the simple rules regarding Spam/pishing emails, p2p protocols and opening discs that have not been virus checked. They forget that the internet and their own computer is like a sewer - what you get out depends upon what you have put in it.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 04-03-08 at 15:53.