WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Halo around white shirt in Flash picture

Old 22-07-13, 22:34

Default Halo around white shirt in Flash picture

Hello,
Hello everyone, I would be extremely happy for your help. A friend of mine took some wedding pics and this problem showed up. It is a halo around the white shirts. I am completely stumped as to the cause. Here is an example of what it looks like. Thanking you in anticipation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1068891_10151483937466400_1879237978_na.jpg (44.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 22-07-13, 23:57

Hi Rangacharee

This looks like a bad case of lens flare. If this was taken with a compact camera or phone camera it could be a the lens is covered in finger prints. A wipe with a soft lens tissue should improve matters. If this is a big boys camera the optics are not coping very well with high contrast subjects.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 23-07-13, 12:53

Default Halo around white shirt in flash picture

Thanks for replying, I know it was not lens flare because the other pictures without the white did not have this problem. I think it is more the contrast problem you spoke about. How do you go about fixing that if it is possible. The camera is a Nikon D700.
Thanks.
Old 23-07-13, 20:17

I think it is lens flare off the white which would explain why the pictures without white are OK. If it was only a contrast problem then the white clothing would indeed be totally burnt out but there would be no halo.
Old 23-07-13, 22:56

I would say the shot is slightly over exposed but not the cause of the halo.

Out of interest do you have a lens filter fitted ? if so try without. Filters especially cheap ones cause more problems than they solve.

I assume your using the D700 kit lens ? Not being a Nikon man I don't know what weak points this lens may have.

If you look at the attached the light off the highlights are flaring into the no or little light areas at an angle of 45 degree. This will be far less noticeable on scenes without white highlights and very little light.

As somebody who regularly shoots through double glazing for my kitchen window bird photography combating flare caused by the window is something I'm an old hand at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flare.jpg (141.4 KB, 8 views)

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery

Last edited by robski; 23-07-13 at 23:02.
Old 23-07-13, 23:26

However what has puzzled me from the outset are what appears to be shadows as if the subject were standing against a wall ?????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puzzle.jpg (162.5 KB, 15 views)

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
Old 24-07-13, 13:00

There is blur too like a double exposure, one from the background lighting showing subject movement plus the frozen image from the flash. That would suggest the camera set a slow sync speed so that the ambient light would give some detail in the background but it gives this ghost image effect. Look at the left hand man's face and you will see what I mean.

I too noticed the odd shadow effect but I can't work that one out. It can't be a shadow thrown on the ground behind the people because the line is too sharp.
Old 24-07-13, 19:30

Default Halo around white shirt in flash picture

Hello,
I would like to thank everyone that posted to my question and for giving all the helpful input. My friend is away right now and would not be able to try the suggestions that you offered,but as soon as she is back I would reply with the findings, thank you all for the help