WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

How did you become interested in photography?

Old 22-01-06, 08:08

Question How did you become interested in photography?

I purchased a small digicam prior to a business trip to Thailand with the aim of recording some fabulous sights. The purchase was made about two months before the trip and as I live within walking distance to an airport I decided to photograph some of the planes. I knew nothing about photography or planes at that point. Having really liked my new found photography results on return from Thailand I decided to invest in DSLR technology and thoughout the summer of 2003 became a mad thing of aviation photography. From 1998 to 2002 I did an Honours degree with the OU so all weekends and evenings were spend studying and when finished photography provided new freedom. Also in 2003 I hired a light aircraft to do some aerial photography but the pilot was more interested in teaching me to fly the thing (theres another passion).

In summary, I became interested in photography because I had lots of time after completing my degree and a business trip to Thailand almost forced me to purchase a camera. I never looked back....
Old 22-01-06, 09:29
Super Moderator

I first got interested as a teenager, I picked up an old secondhand slr with a couple of lenses and just started playing with it. I liked the idea of trying to capture a moment in time from a different perspective to it was normally/orginally observed. I also like the idea of photographing birds, but did not have a long enough lens. However the cost of film and processing soon slowed me down.

I got my first compact digital camera about five years ago and was thrilled to be able to just keep on shooting without worrying about the cost. In 2001 I first tried digiscoping, with a cheap Opticron scope and a 1.3mp Fuji with no optical zoom... not the best results, but I realised what could be done. I went through a couple of other compacts before getting a Coolpix 4500 and really getting into digiscoping. I also got a Minolta slr (my first AF slr) and used this for a lot of non-bird photography.

A friend got an EOS300D about two years ago (with a Sigma 135-400) and I realised just how limiting digiscoping was, the terrible shutter lag on the 4500 became obvious as did my inability to get flight shots. About 7 months ago I got my first dslr a 300D (2 months later an accident forced me to change to a 350D) and now can do the photography I really want to.
Old 22-01-06, 10:07

I got into photography a few years ago, so I could keep a record of school field trips. I started out using my dads Fuji finepix S602Z. I was later bought the Fuji finepix F700. (problem is, I forgot to back up these files, so they where lost,forever.
When my dad said that i could have his 35mm SLR, with 35-70mm and 100-400mm lenses, I began to take an intrest in bird photography.
When I got my first (and current) scope, I tried out digiscoping, with my F700, the results where, rubbish, but what do you expect from a cheep scope off Ebay, and a camera that is not sutible for digiscoping.
Although, i did various types of photography with my F700, it turned out that it was not versitile enough for most kinds of photography, meaning, I was limited to mainly bird photography, as I kept getting good results.

this month, I bought the 350D, with 18-55mm lens, With this, I started doing different kinds of photography. Simply because I dont need to pay for film.
Old 22-01-06, 10:22

Both of my parents had cameras, albeit very simple ones, and my mother had a drawer-full of snapshots which we used to look through from time to time (I've still got most of them!). I was always fascinated by the way the negatives matched up to the prints - this was back in the fifties when roll-film was the order of the day and each negative was cut individually.

I could never equate this semi-rigid 'plasticky' negative with the start of the roll of film that you put into the camera which was sort of cartridge paper, red on the back and matt black on the inner-side (whereabouts inside this interminable film-leader, which ran all around the back of the camera, did those eight precious rectangles fit!!)

It wasn't until years later, after first purchasing a Kodak Instamatic to keep me happy wherever I went, that a friend, who developed his own films, enlightened me as to how straightforward the whole 'magic' process actually was!

Full of enthusiasm, I purchased my own SLR, eventually adding a 400mm lens which in turn re-awakened my interest in birds and this led me to form new friendships, etc., etc., - I often wonder what would have happened had my mate not have showed me his camera (a Zenit 'C' model)...

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 22-01-06, 10:39

My story starts off somewhat similar to postcards. I became interested in bird photography as a teenager after finding roach abbey. I was a keen birder in those days and at roach abbey there was a large tree stump that was baited in the winter and attracted a hugh array of birds, including marsh tits and nuthatches that you could get really close to. For my birthday my dad bought me an slr with a 300mm lens (I cant remember what make) and I was hooked. Then we had a burglary and my camera was stolen and that was that. Then events took over (I went to university and had a family etc) and I never got back into it. Then about 3 years ago I bought a computer as I wanted to set up an internet business and as part of the package I got a Olympus brio d230 which I thought was wonderful and which I used to photograph all the flowers in my gardens and allotments. Then one day a friend of mine posted a photograph of a bluetit on a forum that I visited and I was amazed at the closeness that she had achieved. That was all that was needed to trigger my passion in bird photography once again. That was when I bought my Minolta dimage z1. Certainly not the best camera to use but it was a great starter for me. Then I found birdforum and saw all the bird photos that were being posted and the quality that was being achieved and I wanted to take photos like that. A friend of mine convinced me that the canon 300d would be the camera for me (the 350d had only just come out and was very expensive!) So I bought it but even from the beginning I didnt like it. It was very slow and the delay in start up drove me crazy so after only 2 months I bit the bullet and bought the 350d. Now I am starting to produce the kind of birdphotos that I want and am starting to look elsewhere for inspiration. New lenses and filters are planned for this year and once again I find that I still have alot to learn!

Adey it seems that friends have alot to answer for!

Last edited by Annette; 22-01-06 at 10:46.
Old 22-01-06, 10:40
Admin

I have always been surrounded by cameras, my father worked in photography industry such as Kodak film testing dept, Cassio film and Hadland (and escaped the young poisoner Graham Young at the latter). With free film and free prosessing always available, photography was inevitable for our family.
My photograhic start was an instamatic to take photos of the fish I caught when i was a kid. At xmas in the early 80's I recieved an Olympus OM10 (plus the vital manual adapter!!) and I went from there.

Along with the fishing, I also had an interest in birds, so I tried to do my best with the limited focal length of my Zuiko 50mm f1.8 I did progress to a 200mm and teleconverter.

I can't remember when, but I swapped out and went Nikon in late 80's, culminating in the purchase of a 300/2.8 and teleconverters, then in the 90's I was using a spotting scope with a 35mm adapter to take bird photos. Then digital arrived

cheers,
Andy
Old 22-01-06, 15:52

it all started at the age of 13 (1970) when i got an instamatic for x-mas. & months later the school offered a course in photography.3 years later I bought a slr and joined the local photo club. 4 years ago I got my first digital camera.
Henning
Old 22-01-06, 19:02

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

My God, but you guys all sound so young!
I bought my first SLR in about 1960. I used it for a while then sort of moved away from photography until I went to Egypt in 1973. I took lots of pictures of the camp etc over there.
In 1982 I bought a used Konica SLR and some lenses including a 350 mm telephoto. Later I bought another Konica body and a couple more lenses. I really wanted to take bird pictures but found that the slow speed when using the long lens plus the fact that I still couldn't get the frame filling bird shots that I wanted ( even adding a x2 converter) made me give up on birds.
When I retired Kodak gave me a digital camera for a retirement present annd I've been taking pictures in great numbers ever since. Now I do a fair bit of digiscoping but I'm also very interested in close-ups of wildflowers.
Old 23-01-06, 19:27

I became interested by accident. Normally just a snapper, I never really looked at a camera other than for taking a few snaps of holidays etc.

Then about two years ago (when I was made redundant and found a job immediately) I decided to treat myself to a digital camers a Canon A75 powershot. Read a book about digi-photography and thought I acheived passable results. When I realised the limits of the camera I looked at upgrading to a DSLR as I am really interested in Landscapes. Having read the reviews of many DSLR's I settled on the Nikon D70 after chatting with my local photo store who were really helpful.

I have now invested in a Sigma 70-300 D APO DG, and a x2 teleconverter.

At 47 and very active (lots of walking and Birding) I felt it was important to keep the mind active as well.

It has been tremendously enjoyable and have learnt so much. It is a very large learnibg curve and confussing at times but I can honestly say I am looking forward to improving and trying different styles of photography.

Nogbad
Old 20-02-06, 01:13

I was always around my brother who made old 8mm movies; then received this little canon powershot a75 for x-mas in 04. I soon after got really interested in film SLR. now I'm beginning to develop my own b&w. i think its only necessary to have something to do after our school or job is over.

Last edited by seaweasel91; 20-02-06 at 01:20.