WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Battery Charger

Old 11-04-06, 13:28

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA
Default Battery Charger

Can anyone answer my dumb question. Will my Canon battery charger be fully usable in Ireland? I know that there are power differences between Europe and NA but am not sure if that creates a problem for chargers. I suspect not but don't want to get there and discover a problem.
Old 11-04-06, 13:39

Hi Snowy

Euro voltages apply - 220-240 at 50cycles. I think most camera chargers accomodate that power input.

Brian
Old 11-04-06, 13:40
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyowl
Can anyone answer my dumb question. Will my Canon battery charger be fully usable in Ireland? I know that there are power differences between Europe and NA but am not sure if that creates a problem for chargers. I suspect not but don't want to get there and discover a problem.
Should be o.k. as long as you get a plug converter... we have some funny plugs over here All my gear worked in the U.S.
Old 11-04-06, 14:01

Dan,

You need to check the specification of your charger. It should have the acceptable working voltage range printed on it. Most chargers will work over both the NA and EU voltage ranges but it's best to check. The voltage is twice as high here as it is in NA so if it can't cope with this input, it will fry it. Then, as Andy says, you will need a plug convertor. Northern Ireland uses a UK style plug, but I have to admit I don't know what kind of plug they use in Eire.

Duncan
Old 11-04-06, 14:07

So I guess it wasn't such a dumb question. My charger says it covers 100V-240V; 50/60Hz so it should be ok. I will have to check with someone in Ireland for the plug configuration, I guess. I imagin that somewhere in the airport will sell convertors if I need one.
Old 11-04-06, 14:07
Admin

I think the Irish Republic has the same as the U.K... funny plugs and all
Old 11-04-06, 14:19

Quote:
I imagine that somewhere in the airport will sell convertors if I need one.
You WILL need one, and you will be most likely to find an adaptor in the airport at your end of the atlantic.
Old 12-04-06, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I think the Irish Republic has the same as the U.K... funny plugs and all
I seem to remember most Dublin hotels have several electrical socket types in their rooms. North American three pin with long earth, U.K three pin and European schuko type. Agreed with consensus North American equipment should operate fine but check the voltage range however most items are made with wide voltage ranges to benefit through economy of scale.
Old 13-04-06, 13:40

Quote:
My charger says it covers 100V-240V; 50/60Hz so it should be ok. I will have to check with someone in Ireland for the plug configuration, I guess. I imagin that somewhere in the airport will sell convertors if I need one.
I posted this earlier. I'm assuming that is wide enough of a range for my charger to be ok. I've located plug adapters in the CAA store (they are travel agents as well as an automobile assoc.) but I will have to buy a set of adapters that cover a number of differnt configurations for differnt countries. I don't mind that as the set is very cheap.
Old 13-04-06, 13:50

Good question snowyowl and one I hadnt thought of. I am going to Dublin in june and hadnt even considered any difference. Mind you I have loads of battereis so think I will make sure they are all fully charged before I go. They should be enough. Thanks!