WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Equipment Reviews

Equipment Reviews Post a review of your equipment in here

AF-S VR Nikkor 300/2.8G IF-ED (Nano)

Old 20-06-06, 03:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
Well, I have taken the plunge and I am now a proud owner of a 300 f2.8 VR.
Congratulations on the new lens. As Andy says, you will soon get used to the weight. I found during a Red Arrows display, I only had to rest my arms once. The excitement of the action makes you forget about sore arms.
Old 20-06-06, 03:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I'm afraid a nasty shoulder injury has stopped me from picking up a camera for the last 4 days, and it's unlikely i will be holding one for a while yet.
I hope your shoulder gets better soon Andy...................the injury wasn't from wearing a heavy watch, was it?
Old 20-06-06, 08:36
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDH
I hope your shoulder gets better soon Andy...................the injury wasn't from wearing a heavy watch, was it?
Thanks Adrian,
LOL, that has been mentioned by some close to me With the lack of movement, it keeps stopping... I'll have to lease it out to keep it wound
Old 25-06-06, 14:35

Here is my first offering from the lens. I walked 2.5 miles to the position with large lowepro photo-trekker rucksack with 300 f2.8VR inside and lens hood in operational position to fill the bag. I found it easier than I imagined both transportation and use. Only four arrivals in the hour I stayed and every one a keeper. This is a cracking lens now named 'Junior', remains to be seen if a prime at 300mm or 420mm (using 1.4TC) will be suitable or as flexible as a zoom at airshows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg citation240606.jpg (192.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 26-06-06, 10:11
Admin

Glad you're liking the lens, Stephen. I'd also be a little concerned about the lack of zoom for events like an airshow.
I'm starting to get very annoyed with the elasticated slip-on lens cover...slip-on, slip-off is hardly the correct term, struggle-on, struggle off is more like it. I think I'll be ditching that accessory from now on.
Old 26-06-06, 10:29

Agreed, the cover is annoying. The same is used in the 200-400. Both lenses do not attract much dust probably due to the long lens hood. In my field I usually stay in one position for a while so packing and unpacking is no real bother but I imagine a birder would move around.

If you find a clip on lens cap please advise as I like to cap my lenses when not in use at airshows as some props and helicopters can throw up lots of rubbish in the air, red arrows and other smoke generating acts can throw lots of diesel oil into the air, you dont want that on your front element!
Old 27-06-06, 12:44
Admin

Quote:
If you find a clip on lens cap please advise as I like to cap my lenses when not in use at airshows as some props and helicopters can throw up lots of rubbish in the air, red arrows and other smoke generating acts can throw lots of diesel oil into the air, you dont want that on your front element!
There's some spongey looking things around that may do the trick, can't remember who makes them... or if they go up to 300/2.8 diameter, although they are very stretchy.

I didn't get a slip-on cover with my 600/4 and that's fine, so it's not a 'must have' for my 300 really.
Old 18-07-06, 21:07

I after using the 300 f2.8 for a full week with no problems I thought I would revisit the prospect of hand holding the 200-400VR and I feel as positive about it as I did about the 300 f2.8 a few weeks ago. My spindley arms have now turned into tree trunks!

A great thing about 200-400VR is a clear flat glass lens protector, like a UV filter that screws over the front element. I am thinking of one for the 300f2.8 but I see it has a "protective meniscus front element" However it did not protect mine from all sorts cleaned off each evening the past week.

Does anyone know how a meniscus front element is protective and can it be removed or renewed?
Old 08-08-06, 14:36

Quote:
I after using the 300 f2.8 for a full week with no problems I thought I would revisit the prospect of hand holding the 200-400VR and I feel as positive about it as I did about the 300 f2.8 a few weeks ago. My spindley arms have now turned into tree trunks!

A great thing about 200-400VR is a clear flat glass lens protector, like a UV filter that screws over the front element. I am thinking of one for the 300f2.8 but I see it has a "protective meniscus front element" However it did not protect mine from all sorts cleaned off each evening the past week.

Does anyone know how a meniscus front element is protective and can it be removed or renewed?
It is a protective plain optical glass cover over the front element of the lens, it can be replaced by Nikon at great expense. I knew someone who had a similar lens protective element replaced some years ago, it cost more than £120 then!

nirofo.