WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

please respond

Old 27-07-06, 13:22

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Without re-posting all of Manjeet's comments, I will say that I think he has made some excellent points. More information can only help. I don't buy any of purplebyron's rationale for not giving info. Having the Exif info etc visible doesn't detract from any image, rather it gives people more opportunity to suggest how to improve a shot in real terms. As to where and when shots are taken, I think that can only add to the viewer's enjoyment of the picture.
My poor shots are often stripped of Exif info when if I run them through neatimage. That happens automatically and, barring buying the pro version, is something I don't think I can control.
Frankly I see very little wrong with the way things are. If you want your shot rated, enter the comps. If you want critique, post it in the critique forum. If you simply want people to enjoy a shot you feel worthy of display, for whatever reason, post in your gallery.
My only real criticism isn't of the site but of those of us who don't participate, don't vote in comps. etc.
Old 27-07-06, 14:06

I have been pretty much keeping up with this thread. Its something along the lines of my own feelings, and I can remember not that long ago expressing similar thoughts along with Tannin.

The Gallery for me is simply a place where people are getting free webspace to store and share their images. It does not seem to be the place where much meaningful comment goes on and consequently I don't post images there.

It would seem to me logical that if you want to get meaningful comment/critique then the Gallery is not the place to get it and I would reserve those pics for the main forum and esp the Critique board.

Personally I would like to see a few new boards started for say Landscape, B/W, wildlife/Fauna, Flora, even street photography. The fact is though that the vast majority of peeps who contribute to the forum are birders, plane spotters, or flora/fauna shooters. Then there are the gear freaks (no offence meant) just look at their galleries lol

Its just a POV but when I do post a photo I want to know what people think of it and why, what feelings it stirs and whether they think it works or not, however I'm not bothered if someone thinks I should bin it.

If you want critique related to accumulating points or a score, then you should join Photosig, though there is an option of these vBulletin forums to rate a thread
Old 27-07-06, 22:06

How many of us think they have taken a perfect shot ? I know for sure I am not in that group. I see fault to various degrees in all my shots. I try and learn from my mistakes and hope not to repeat them.

As Stephen rightly says the gallery is free webspace to share images. In my darkroom days I used to pin up prints on the wall at work. firstly to add interest to the wall and give pleasure to those who appreciated them. I view the gallery in the same way and I like to post some of my better efforts at the end of the day. Some of which maybe a talking point or not. In a Public gallery one often just studies an image without comment. I tend to take note of the number of views as opposed to comments to gauge how effective the image has been to the viewer.

Recently at work I has some bird shots on the wall and they attracted the attention of an engineer/sales rep. It turned out his was a keen birder and knew Nigel Blake. So we ended up taking about Nigel for 15 minutes.

My POV for the "Keep or Bin" concept is for those images you don't have the heart to bin. Normally I only spend upto 5 minutes Post processing an image and if I have had spend longer than that and the image is not to my liking I normally just bin it. On the otherhand I've had one or two images where I have battled with over many weeks and I still can't make my mind wether to bin or not. Then one thinks is it a duff image or am I giving it the wrong treatment. Maybe somebody else knows how to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 27-07-06 at 22:16.
Old 29-07-06, 11:06

Hi there PurpleByron. Good question, my answer may well cover other peoples thoughts also. I think this is a fabulous site, good forums, good ideas great photos. That I think is what stops me offering any thoughts on peoples pictures...... They really are great, in my opinion any way. I for one dont feel as though I'm a good enough photographer to offer any comment, good or bad. Saying that maybe now I'll put some of my pics on and hope for the best. I will make a point of leaving some feedback, even if it is just "great shot, wish I could do as well". Thanks for the question, Deano.
Old 08-08-06, 12:55
bruce action

Purplebyron.Im with you,I learnt my photography through hanging out with gret photographers,who had been arround a long time. our club used Cirtiquing. some of this was done full in your face and honest,which had to include positive comemts along with this. we help a monthly metting in which we presented 8/10 prints.and each member present gace each photo their score,so there was no colusion. it was in this inviorment that I won a years compertition. and its true at this point I have not posted any prints here,but it will happen, my major camera has just died and I,m not in a postion to replace itat these time.
Old 04-09-06, 14:16

I have read this thread with interest and have to admit to failing in the eyes of some contributers:
1. I will look at many of the photos but rarely leave comments. I am not "that" experienced and feel uneasy judging others (call me a big softy)
2. I don't publish my own exif data (frankly, I don't know how to!)
3. I have entered the monthly comp. but have not voted myself. Wasn't sure if this was the done thing.

I accept that just by publishing a photo on the main gallery, I shouldn't expect comments, negative or otherwise. Consequently I recently posted a photo in the "Critique" forum along with a very brief explanation of why.
So far 45 views and no response - not a dicky bird! Is it because the shot is so exceptional/appalling no one thinks it worthy of comment? If posts in the main gallery are not commented on (and I freely admit to browsing without comment)and posts in the critique forum are not commented on, the photos on this forum will be nothing but eye-candy. I love the fact that I have somewhere to post photos that can cause discussion. It just needs people like me to open up a bit and be more forthcoming.
Old 19-10-06, 20:38

it seems to me that the conclusion here as to why people don't leave feedback is primarily down to their own confidence or lack of experience ..... this is crazy, every one has an opinion to whether they like something or not, some people love van gogh's, others hate his work...whether a so called art expert or some average person in the street, we all have an opinion. i went to art college and i can honestly state that a lot of so called art experts dont know anything, they just follow each other and what historians tell them. i don't believe that you even have to have a good knowledge of photographic techniques to have a great picture or an opinion ...i think photography can sometimes dissapear up its own behind due to the technical side of it all ... we worry so much about pin sharp, correctly exposed pics that we fail to see the merit in the image even in its naive state.
a, "nice pic" comment is fine or a "dont like this much" is better than no comment at all. i doubt there is a single person who comes in this room who doesnt doubt their ability to give an opinion ..... every picture should be pushing the limits or areas where you have not been before, so i guess we are always beginners in this thing aren't we?
Old 19-10-06, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Personally I would like to see a few new boards started for say Landscape, B/W, wildlife/Fauna, Flora, even street photography. The fact is though that the vast majority of peeps who contribute to the forum are birders, plane spotters, or flora/fauna shooters. Then there are the gear freaks (no offence meant) just look at their galleries lol
I think this idea could work. What are other peoples thoughts on this? Mods can we do something about this if there is enough positive interest?
It is threads like this that can get things changed or added to the forum.
Old 19-10-06, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbunion View Post
3. I have entered the monthly comp. but have not voted myself. Wasn't sure if this was the done thing.
I dont have a problem with you entering and voting, i have done so before. I dont see anything in the competition rules to say you cannot do this.
Old 19-10-06, 22:36

I'm still trying to get my head around this thread, (some posts while I was off and I missed ) so bear with me.

I very rarely comment in the critique unless there is an image posted with a question to which I can make a positive contribution to. If I lack any experience in the subject theme then any comment by me is fairly pointless. I can comment on an image that appeals in the gallery, and I do not feel there is any benefit to the image poster there in just saying it does not appeal. Equally so in the Critique Forum. After all, I assume the purpose of posting in the critique is to seek advice from the ' knowledgeable' in that particular discipline.

Re post #19. In order to do that, surely providing as much information relative to the image is essential. If this is not so, then perhaps I am missing something.

On the subject of various boards, I have a simple question. If these are to be critique, then why? Surely one place to post for critique is quite sufficient. If this is to be somewhere that people can generally discuss and post images in various themes within a single heading, then suitable threads could be started in the General Photographic Technique Forum.

All it needs is someone to stick their head above the parapet and get them going. Not a Mod's job as I see it.

Don