WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Jessops memory prices

Old 31-01-07, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox View Post
Coming at this from another angle, could the £17.90 card be fake? There are a number of Sandisk fakes out there. I am certain that Jessops would not sell a fake card and if they did would sort the problem with minimal fuss. Whereas the sole Internet trader might have done a runner or would not have anything to do with it.
Would not have thought so Stephen - 7day shop are selling them for a few pound more and the are available from dozen of different places for less than £30. Picstop and 7day shop both ship from Jersey and anything less than £18 does not carry any vat.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 31-01-07, 23:02

How do I know if the Canon lens I bought from Jessops was a Grey import or not ?

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 31-01-07, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
How do I know if the Canon lens I bought from Jessops was a Grey import or not ?
U.K. Warranty card or not?
Old 31-01-07, 23:13

My point the warranty card was missing along with the plastic bag the lens normally comes with. Easy trick to pull if you buy the lens on display.

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
Old 31-01-07, 23:39

Morrisons have just reduced their memory prices, although they dont sell all types they are pretty cheap, look out for ink cartdidges going down in price as they make way for an updated range!
Old 03-02-07, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Unfortunately, I had credited those on the forum with some form of common sense in following the topic thread.
A common mistake.
Old 03-02-07, 00:48

I can only assume that Jessops don't really care about selling memory cards, so they just pitch them at a high price and hope they pull in a few customers. I guess the problem with these cards is that the prices fall each month, sometime dramatically, so in order to make a profit you need rapid turnover, to avoid being stuck with stock that cannot be sold without a loss. So you are serious, and sell lots at competitive prices, or you only sell a few but at high prices. Jessops take the latter route.
Old 03-02-07, 12:34

I recently recall a conversation with someone in respect of various media cards. It could be one of those urban myths I'm not sure but he took great delight in informing me, like PC processors there are only a few companies who manufacture the cards and then badge/label them accordingly. So off the same production line Jessops cards may be sitting next to Fuji's etc.

It's a bit like the sport top syndrome, you can choose to pay a premium price for the luxury of advertising, (i.e. wearing), a branded/logod spots top...
Old 03-02-07, 17:56

Yes I think this is true of many products. I suspect they are graded and the low grade versions are then sold on to become cheap unbranded.

If I recall correctly video magnetic tape was made in 12 foot wide stripes. The high quality center section was keep for themselves and the outside offcuts were sold off and used to make low grade budget tapes.

I've seen the same sort of thing with hard disks. A model of drive supplied in a top name server seems to last much longer than other sources.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
Old 03-02-07, 18:30

Surely it would have been easier to say SanDisk at a realistic price and SanDisk at a ripoff price, once you mentioned ripoff we'd all know who you meant, at least the photographers with their heads out of the sand would !!

nirofo.