WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Advice on a new computer

Old 29-06-07, 20:35

Gordon,

With £750 to spend, you should be able to get a very nice PC that will keep you going for several years. If you (or others that use this PC) don't do any 3-D gaming, then there's no need to get a high end graphics card. This will keep costs down in that area, freeing up cash to spend on processor/HDD/memory which are the important elements for photo processing.

XP Pro SP2 is a wise choice, though having just started using Vista, there's fixes available for all the niggling problems I found I had. You may find that a new machine comes bundled with Vista now, though you should be able to specify that you want XP instead.

As for £250 for a decent screen, it depends on your definition of decent. See my review of the Viewsonic VP930 flat panel,
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=2452
this was £200 and isn't really up to CRT standards for photo editing. If it's going to be your main screen, I'd spend a bit more than £250, or even better, keep your CRT if you are happy with it.
Old 03-07-07, 23:14

I was going to suggest building your own, but then i read this and that thought went out the window....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon g View Post
Ok - the spec, bearing in mind I'm not very computer literate.
£750 should get you a good PC now as prices are well down. For a 'Mac' you are looking at 3 or 4 times that, but all the arty people swear by them.
Old 04-07-07, 12:02

Thanks for all the advice everyone. It looks as though I should get a desktop rather than a laptop, for value for money, with as fast a dual processor as I can afford, 2Gb RAM and a big hard disc. SCREENS ... hmmm. A bit more research needed there.
Old 04-07-07, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon g View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone. It looks as though I should get a desktop rather than a laptop, for value for money, with as fast a dual processor as I can afford, 2Gb RAM and a big hard disc. SCREENS ... hmmm. A bit more research needed there.
Gordon,

Your plan of action given above seems sound. Re: Screens, it depends what the primary purpose/use of the machine is going to be. Whilst I much prefer photo editing on the CRT, I find myself doing more and more "office" type work on the PC with the flat panel, despite it being a slower machine. The VP930 flat panel is very nice for text based viewing, but can't cut it for colours. If you want really good colours for photo editing then I think you are looking at £500 plus £100 for a calibrator. You may find it beneficial to stick with your existing CRT (assuming that's what you have).

If you, or anyone else who's going to use the machine isn't into high-end gaming, then you could do a lot worse than buy from the Dell Factory Outlet here:
http://outlet.dell.com/Emea_Dfo/EuDi...constraint=DIM
Previously I have always built my own PCs from components, having lurked on the Dell outlet site for a while, I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it. I could buy a complete box with software for less cost than just buying the bits I needed to upgrade my original PC.

I recently bought a Dimension 9200
Pentium Core2 Duo E6300
2GB RAM
2x250GB HDDs (RAID)
DVD-ROM
DVD-RW
nVidia 7900GS graphics card
CF/SD/MS/etc card reader built in
TV Tuner card
Integrated sound and network, 8x USB2
Vista Home Premium
KB, mouse and speakers - no screen
Total cost £438 (after £40 refund for delayed delivery)

There's some deals to be had, but you may have to lurk for a while before a real bargain pops up.

Regards,

Duncan