WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Sony Develops full size 24.81 MP sensor

Old 31-01-08, 17:25

Default Sony Develops full size 24.81 MP sensor

Press release http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...10E/index.html

No doubt this will appear in the next top line Nikon too.

Don
Old 31-01-08, 19:15

Don - that is SOME sensor - if memory serves me right that is the range of a Hasselblad HD1 or HD2 spec. The HD3III - the new one goes up to 39 mega pix. in a Nikon that would be awesome but have we not seen a jump from 12 to 24 Mega Pix in less than twelve months from Sony? Where does it stop?

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 31-01-08, 20:46

Andy,

H3D sensor is a lot larger at 48x36mm so far larger photosites. I thought I would post it as a point of discussion.
24 mp is too much for me, so I have little more than a passing interest.

D2X tiff is 70mb, so it makes you wonder what that would come out at from 24mp sensor.

Don
Old 31-01-08, 20:57

I dread to think the computer horse-power required to process RAW images from something like that. My computer has only just caught up with my camera and was lagging far behind for three years.
Old 31-01-08, 22:06

Dare I say it ?? Get an Apple Mac!!!

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 01-02-08, 16:19

Years ago Canon reckoned when sensors reached 10mp that would be equal in IQ to film. Whether that is true or not I do not know but I cannot understand this mad mp race (apart from marketing) as the detail available will merely show up optical defects in the lenses. I do wonder if some people ever stop looking at photos at 100% or greater and actually look at the image as a picture. Some of the great pictures in the past would fail dreadfully at the pixel peeping level but are never the less great pictures. There that was a good moan, feel better now>
Old 01-02-08, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
H3D sensor is a lot larger at 48x36mm so far larger photosites. I thought I would post it as a point of discussion.
24 mp is too much for me, so I have little more than a passing interest.
When it’s going to stop? It’s high time that camera manufacturers spend quality time to improve colour processing. It’s high time for printing industries to worry about higher bit colour processing for printing.

Think about those days when we had colour positive films on various formats. Jobs looked right. Printing looked right and all those huge billboards looked pin sharp. From that perspective what exactly is different today? Nothing, if I’m allowed to say that.

How many people in this world today take large prints on a regular basis? I’m not for a moment referring to photography lovers like us. They buy expensive cameras and shoot JPEGs. So that they can store them in computers/hard disks and share them on internet.
How large we want to see our photographs and where? A Nokia’s 2mp image produces good 5X7 prints for most to enjoy.

I’ve seen large prints (30X40) from various cameras ranging from 8mp to mine of 16.7mp. All printed on high (so called) dpi on archival inkjet printer. It was somehow difficult to differentiate the difference for me.

I’ve seen 120ft billboard enlargement from my 1Ds output. It looked better, sharp and more vibrant than what I had shot on 4/5 years ago. Yes, I agree that there are no generation losses today like film processing and scanning. We don’t have to wait holding our breath to see the results from colour labs.

World is heading for mega pixel game. But there is no change in day to day’s applications.

I’m sorry if I’ve said anything wrong here. It’s my view after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
D2X tiff is 70mb, so it makes you wonder what that would come out at from 24mp sensor.
Should be around 140mb (plus/minus) in RGB TIFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes View Post
I dread to think the computer horse-power required to process RAW images from something like that. My computer has only just caught up with my camera and was lagging far behind for three years.
Well, Stephen..
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
..You have suggestion here.
Old 01-02-08, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
And a huge screen to view the image at greater than 20% magnification.

Number of active pixels 6096(H) x 4056(V) approx.24.73M pixels.

Just wondering how much compression would be required to post any images on WPF. Fine detail from some of my D2X ( 12mp ) images has often disappeared.

Don
Old 01-02-08, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
And a huge screen to view the image at greater than 20% magnification.
While working on actual pixels, my image is way bigger than screen (2560X1600) size..
Old 01-02-08, 17:03

Rudra,

Your input is valuable as you currently use 1Ds, so at a mid point mp wise between 10-12 that a lot of members have and Sony's new 24mp. Also you have had relatively huge prints made.

Relative going out of the window though with your billboard stuff.

You have also if I am correct used a Leaf or similar back on medium format kit.

Don