WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Not sure if this is the right place?

Old 21-10-10, 10:46

Red face Not sure if this is the right place?

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this however I am hoping that someone will be able to help me?
I purchased a Lumix G2 at the weekend, have been wanting one for ages. I really wanted the ability to change the shutter speed to get action shots, having only had a compact before this is all new to me. I played with the camera and when in the 'S' mode which is where I can adjust the shutter speed pictures tend to be very dark??? Even outside in the daylight! Is this normal for this camera? Can anyone tell me what I can do to rectify it if it is not normal???

Thanks
Catherine
Old 21-10-10, 11:22

I have no experience of that or any other Panasonic so I can only give my thoughts in general. When you set a shutter speed the camera should set the corresponding aperture to give a correct exposure automatically. I just wonder if you are setting such a high shutter speed that the necessary aperture for correct exposure is not available? The camera would do it's best to give the correct aperture but it would not allow enough light in so the picture would be underexposed therefore dark. So, what shutter speeds have you tried under what lighting conditions? What apertures are available? ie how fast is the lens?
Old 21-10-10, 11:45

Thanks Mike, I have had a play and it does not seem to be taking the aperture past about 3.5 even when I set the shutter speed to 3000. Outside it taked it to about 5.6 but no higher. However playing around in the aperture preferred setting this can go up to 22 so how do I get it to set both???
Old 21-10-10, 16:50

Try setting the shutter say at 1/500 of a second this should be sufficient to freeze the action. it will depend on the available light, if you cant achieve this, try raising the ISO until you can achieve at least 1/500 of a second, don't worry to much about the aperture, the camera will set that for you if your in s-mode.

you can of course go higher than 1/500 of a second if you like.
Old 21-10-10, 16:56

I've never seen nor handled a Lumix, but a quick check shows that the standard lens Aperture is F3.5(Wide) - F5.6(Tele).

Not much scope for creative shooting. Suggest you set the aperture/speed by taking note of the built-in exposure meter. or using full auto
Old 21-10-10, 17:54

Set a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the action. If the aperture available is not fast enough to get a correct exposure in the prevailing light conditions up the ISO until you can get the correct exposure. Being a little cheeky but how much do you understand apertures and what the f numbers mean?
Old 21-10-10, 19:12

Thats not cheeky at all, to be honest I am a complete beginner, having only had a little compact before...
I appreciate everyone's help but just so you dont think I'm disappearing we are moving house this weekend and will be without internet connection for a week.
I would love to learn more about how to get the best out of my camera though!

Catherine
Old 21-10-10, 19:26

Moving house, rather you than me! No internet for a week?
When you are back on line and ready let us know and we can explain a few things.
Old 21-10-10, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
I've never seen nor handled a Lumix, but a quick check shows that the standard lens Aperture is F3.5(Wide) - F5.6(Tele).

Not much scope for creative shooting. Suggest you set the aperture/speed by taking note of the built-in exposure meter. or using full auto

I have a similarly slow lens as this, it is possible to freeze action, but you pretty much need a sunny day to maintain a 1/500 shutter speed without having to push the iso too high. not sure how well the lumix handles its iso, my camera handles it pretty well, but i wouldn't try this on a dull day or indoors under poor lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Set a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the action. If the aperture available is not fast enough to get a correct exposure in the prevailing light conditions up the ISO until you can get the correct exposure. Being a little cheeky but how much do you understand apertures and what the f numbers mean?

Snap
Old 22-10-10, 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine21 View Post
Thanks Mike, I have had a play and it does not seem to be taking the aperture past about 3.5 even when I set the shutter speed to 3000. Outside it taked it to about 5.6 but no higher. However playing around in the aperture preferred setting this can go up to 22 so how do I get it to set both???
Catherine, I think you are not quite understanding the numbers here. The aperture is measured in f numbers, such as the 3.5, 5.6 and 22 you mention in this post. The point is, bigger number=smaller hole=less light=darker picture (for a given aperture and ISO). You may find these threads useful:
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...read.php?t=414
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...read.php?t=604
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...read.php?t=125

As others have mentioned, taking the shutter speed up to freeze the action may well mean you can't let enough light in. Your aperture may not be able to go big enough to let enough light in for a correct exposure.

Duncan