WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Do you take 20,000 photos in a day?

Old 31-03-06, 18:20

Default Do you take 20,000 photos in a day?

Spotted this on another forum

two weeks ago I shot 20 000 pictures within 12 hours. basically I just kept the shutter button pressed since that was the only way I knew how to take pictures of dozens of competitive ballroom dancers, all competing at the same time, constantly changing their routines with new pairs replacing old ones every few minutes or so. I've selected some 500 pictures from the lot and you can see them here:
http://antonipildid.net
Old 31-03-06, 18:28
Super Moderator

Crumbs I thought I was bad taking neary 15,000 images since october. The photo's what I have seen so far look brilliant, I bet your finger was tired by the time you finished.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 31-03-06, 18:28

LOL,

3,600 seconds per hour divided into 20,000, it does seem possible. I question the number of cards required, personally I would need 100 2GB cards. How many batteries would been required, 20 again from personal experience!

Thats 20 batteries, 100 cards and a big camera bag!

A very determined photographer and possible.
Old 31-03-06, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Crumbs I thought I was bad taking neary 15,000 images since october.
Snap, 17,000 in three years!
Old 31-03-06, 19:17

The shutter on the 20/30D is supposed to be good for 100,000 actuations. At this rate it would only last 5 days

The memory card thing though should not be an issue as with help as one filled up it could be downloaded to a pc/laptop whilst another is filled. A 1gb card with camera set at full res medium quality will give well over 400 shots. Frankly I would find it hardest to actually point the camera at couples and continue to take the shots for so long
Old 31-03-06, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
The shutter on the 20/30D is supposed to be good for 100,000 actuations. At this rate it would only last 5 days

The memory card thing though should not be an issue as with help as one filled up it could be downloaded to a pc/laptop whilst another is filled. A 1gb card with camera set at full res medium quality will give well over 400 shots. Frankly I would find it hardest to actually point the camera at couples and continue to take the shots for so long
I considered downloading cards and recharging batteries but maths suggest the shutter needed to be actuated once every 2.16 seconds! Not enough time to download or charge but enough to swap and replace. IMHO.

Maths:- (3,600 x 12) / 20,000 = 2.16

Still a funny story!
Old 31-03-06, 20:52

Well to be honest I think he is full of s***
If you read the comments under his gallery. He talks about only stopping to change cards, lenses, eat etc. Plus 45mins to go home as his portable drive started complaining. Now take all this out of the 12hrs then the 2.16 secs per shot is reduced considerably. He also says somewhere he is using a 350D with 2x512mb cards which he downloads to a portable drive whilst he continues shooting. How on earth can he compose and shoot for such a long period of time and get 20000 shots. I don't think so
Old 31-03-06, 22:21

Once, on a good day off, I shot almost 500 shots and that involved 3 battery changes and dumping the shots into a folder on my computer as soon as the cards were full. I swore I would never even attempt it again as it took me ages to go through every photo and dump the ones that were horrible and even worse, trying to decide why I needed 30 or so very good shots of the same bird in different stances.
Old 01-04-06, 05:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
If you read the comments under his gallery. He talks about only stopping to change cards, lenses, eat etc. Plus 45mins to go home as his portable drive started complaining. Now take all this out of the 12hrs then the 2.16 secs per shot is reduced considerably. He also says somewhere he is using a 350D with 2x512mb cards which he downloads to a portable drive whilst he continues shooting. How on earth can he compose and shoot for such a long period of time and get 20000 shots. I don't think so
and from earlier today on another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie
I don't see much point in bracketing, as I aways shoot in raw, if I have problem I can aways create two tiffs from the raw file at differing exposures and blend them together
20,000 photos in RAW format in 12 hours with a 350D using 2 512Mb cards. Hummmmmmmm
Old 01-04-06, 08:11

Impossable,must be a wind up ! or the figure is wrong !