WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Rights grab by instagram

Old 18-12-12, 17:21

Default Rights grab by instagram

For those of you who post images on instagram, are you prepared to lose copyright on your work?
I dont know the full details of the story, only what I have read here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20767537 , not being on facebook or instagram, but it looks to me that they want to sell users' work and pocket the proceeds with neither specific consent or compensation.
If I had an account with them, I'd delete it...
Old 18-12-12, 17:32

Was just going to post another link to this story.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...l-your-photos/

Only thing to do is to is delete all photos then close delete the account and never use them again. If they can get away with it then where could it end, other companies might try something similar.
Old 19-12-12, 15:42

It's caused quite a stir. You may wish to try this site. My son (who is an IT professional) has used it to effect the removal of his Instagram shots to Flickr.
Old 21-12-12, 05:27

Default Bad Instagram. Bad

Personally I think that Facebook's lawyers (and this is really coming from them, isn't it?) are figuring out new and more devious ways to suck money out of people. To paraphrase an article I read, Facebook's share price has risen slightly over the last couple of months as Wall Street has responded to their program of (verbatim) "...monetizing their mobile device users."

I don't know about you, but it sounds just amazingly crass to think that they're "monetizing" people. Very creepy.

Anyone who has a shred of responsibility about their work should shut down their Instagram account before January 16th, that's when the big rip kicks off.
Old 21-12-12, 23:32

Quote:
You are not our customers, you are the cattle we drive to market and auction off to the highest bidder. Enjoy your feed and keep producing the milk.
Same old same old.
Old 16-02-15, 09:33

Hmm, I'd never post anything on Instragram that I'd actually consider selling :/ Mostly just selfies, a few city shots and pics of my dog

x