WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Website

Old 15-02-09, 15:13

Default Website

Hi All. I have offten thought about having my own website, but not sure where to start. Any ideas?

Ian P
Old 15-02-09, 15:24

Ian,

It would be a good idea if you thought about what you want from your website to begin with.

What sort of content do you want on this website? Are you planning on using your webspace provided by your ISP? What do you want to do with your site?

Start by deciding on what you want your site to contain.
Old 15-02-09, 17:27

What yelvertoft says. You have to decide what the site is meant to do. Depending on that you might chose to get your own domain and hosting site and run your own show, or use some provider like smugmug or one of the blogging services like wordpress.
Old 15-02-09, 17:41

I have my own website which began to showcase my images. Throughout my photography development I uploaded photos to various sites which can attract attention. My website now informs any customer a little but about me. It is therefore advertising my previous achievements and what I can do for a potential customer.

I moved to the Apple Mac computer platform two years ago and I get mail and a website bundled so the site costs nothing extra that what I would pay for mail and other 'virtual' services from Apple.

The site is made using iWeb on the mac and while some hate the application I find it very easy and quick to manage the site.

Site Here
Old 15-02-09, 18:42

I alot to think about. I would like to show case my photos, i guess i need to take on all comments from all of you.

Thank you very much all.

Ian P

Last edited by Ian P; 15-02-09 at 19:06.
Old 15-02-09, 20:13

Hi Ian
If you just want a simple website to show case your photos, You could start with clickpic
It is a good starting point,you could use it to give you a idea of what you need from a website. I think a few WPF members started with clickpic then moved on to make their own sites.

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 15-02-09, 20:46

Default Website

Thank you for this Lello. will have a look at clickpic.

Ian P
Old 15-02-09, 21:38

Not sure what you mean by 'Showcase' I assume you mean something to get noticed. In which case it is worth remembering that there is a huge number of sites out there. A number of people use the photo based social networking sites like ipernity, zoomr, or flickr.

Flickr is the dominant one as it gets most of the eyeballs, and has some nifty searching facilities. Remember though that there are over 5,000 photos being uploaded to that site each minute. So you have to work on the social aspects of the site to build up a following etc.

My photos are linked to from Universities, biologists, government, and UN sites, and I've had requests to license from a number of commercial organizations (though I always refuse such requests).

As a result of the academic links my flickr pages tend to come up fairly high in the google rankings, and I get somewhere in the region of 2000 hits a week.

OTOH the recent photo-blog I started gets around 30 hits a week:

http://professor-moriarty.com/moriar...land_churches/

might be the subject matter though.
Old 23-02-09, 18:57

I would make your own site and use RedBubble.com , Deviantart.com and flickr in conjunction with your site, like I have done. (www.gfinch.net) I put my images on all those sites and get feedback from a variety of artists. The best thing you can do it to show off your images as much as possible to get noticed.

I know a few people who could host sites for you, for a small fee. They'll set them up as well and possibly make them for you. PM me if you're interested.
Old 15-05-09, 14:48

its always good to have a blog rather than a forum as it is very easy to maintain, if you are a busy person