WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

PC users have a look! "Windows Seven" is here.

Old 05-05-09, 11:01

Exclamation PC users have a look! "Windows Seven" is here.

The new Microsoft Operating System is here to replace Vista.

"Windows Seven".

And it can be yours for free for about a year if you are not a very light hearted user. Even though it is said this is one version superior to notorious "Beta", that has always been pain in the parts, but still have a general caution and use it on platform that is based for trial rather than important data achieving till you feel a hang of it. When the official System Seven comes out, this version slowly dies letting you know when the time is getting close to paying for the full version.
For anyone who is interested here is the LINK that you may want to read it all before installing. And before you aim all your critical comments to WS, remember that this is not the first or last time, with a lot of words being said, a lot of things done and future is to be seen. Be positive as the generous offer of MS is. If you like to take a fast track part into it, here is one way.

- L I N K -

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 10-05-09, 01:49

Been using the Windows 7 x64 bit version for about 3 months now, it's very stable, a whole world away from the travesty of Vista and unlike the 32 bit versions it uses all your memory and doesn't clip you at 3 Gb. I downloaded the latest RC 64 bit version from Microsoft last week, (3.05 Gb download), only problem I had during the install was it failed to find a driver for my SCSI card that I need for my Nikon scanner. A quick peruse through the Google pages soon turned up a doctored Vista driver that worked perfectly. It boots up a lot quicker than XP but takes up nearly 15 Gb of hard drive space, it doesn't seem to hogg the system like Vista did and it gives you far more control over your own computer. The majority of XP software seems to run OK and the system lets you install in XP mode if theres a problem, Photoshop CS4 and Nikon Capture NX both work very fast with this system. You get a years free use of the software, this should be enough to determine whether or not it does what it says on the box and give you chance to iron out any problems. If it continues to work as well as it is doing at the moment, then I think I'll probably change to this operating system when the final version becomes available.

nirofo.
Old 10-05-09, 04:08

I'm all for upgrades, as long as they are upgrades. I've been stung twice, once on XP 64 and again with Vista......... Sure I'll run the 'try it before you buy' version, but not until I have to........... I'm quite happy with the system I got and don't see ANY reason to 'upgrade' (took Vista off and went back to XP). I quite often work on Photoshop files > than 2Gb and have never seen any need to quicken the pace, so until MS decide to stop supporting XP security, I won't touch it.
Even then I might use my 'web' PC as a linux based version, depends how I get on with it, it'll be much cheaper. My graphics 'pooter has never seen the interweb - so security is not an issue there.

Old 10-05-09, 18:28

As with a lot of things Microsoft I suppose it saves them in development costs by having loads of suckers do it for them and then let them pay through the nose for what they have helped develop - any hint that those who take part will get a reduced charge when it comes?

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 25-07-09, 03:27

We have suffered the travesty that's Vista since March. It is cumbersome, slow and worst off all the continual intermittent problems. Sometimes it connects with the wireless router, no problems then for no apparent reason for three days it decides not to. Sometimes the control panel disappears, a couple of weeks ago it decided there was no dvd writer, that made a change from a few days previous when it decided there was a dvd writer and another CD rom drive as well. I have now installed the R.C. (release candidate) version of Windows 7. It's super fast, stable and best off all free till around next March. Installing it is all a bit Heath Robinson but once it's running is very good.
Old 25-07-09, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
As with a lot of things Microsoft I suppose it saves them in development costs by having loads of suckers do it for them and then let them pay through the nose for what they have helped develop - any hint that those who take part will get a reduced charge when it comes?
Unlike Apple who tend to be very quiet apart from a few teasers to get interest. Snow Leopard looks on the face if it a great OS. Stability is taken for granted in OS X.