WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Want to be a Wedding Photographer?

Old 10-10-09, 11:19

Good luck Clive, I've done several for friends and family, sometimes as THE photographer and sometimes as a guest - both stills and video. The agreed story board - decided on by the couple in discussion with me beforehand - was an absolute essential. The best man and ushers had copies and also had the task of being whippers in - herding the guests around. I usually had a mate whose work I knew as backup and he used to do the candid shots while I did the formal plus some candid as the opportunity presented itself. Now I've finally got some sense and don't do it at all - it's too much like hard work .

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 10-10-09, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelerySue View Post
I would love to be a wedding photographer...or any type of photographer but i dont trust myself enough as i take 500 shots and only 20 will turn out the way i wanted them to
You're doing better than me then!
Old 19-10-09, 19:23

Can I just push in here? I just did a friends wedding as THE photographer........Thankfully it all went well,the sun shone and everyone co-operated...Have been asked to do another but not sure if I can handle any more nervous breakdowns and sleepless nights.........I take my hat off to those of you that do this and enjoy it........
Sharon
Old 20-10-09, 12:48

Hi Sharon. Welcome back. Where've you been, we've missed you.
Old 20-10-09, 18:05

Default stuff

I've not really been anywhere...and I really mean that..!
My camera thinks its broken,I just haven't been out at all..:-(
The only things I seem to do are kids portraits...not complaining as it makes me a bob or two but something else would be good......If you could possibly arrange for me to have about 6 extra hours per day then I think I could get round to some photography
I will try more to get on here so look out for me soon...
Sharon
Old 27-10-09, 00:57

Been doing it for 18 months now, and turning over a reasonable profit from it on the back of our day jobs.

The nerves thing goes away after a while, I find myself getting into a grove with each one and just looking for those shots that stand out.

Dealing with the crowds is a problem, we treat it with humour, mixed in with sarcasm and at times a little bit of rudeness. You always get the one "know" it all or the person who nips in front of you with their box brownie to take that shot. I tend to look over their should and say, nah you don't want to take it like that !!!!

One person even proclaimed to the Bride and Groom, don't worry I've got that photograph, so there is one less you'll have to buy. Ironic when we'd already been paid.

The only complaint we have had so far was from a videographer, who turned up with 4 cameras which filled the front of the church. He sent us a stroppy email, berating us for walking into shot through out the service. How the hell he expected us not to is beyond me.

All I can say is try it, but don't just snap away in the hope it comes right, be different move about, get different angles, think about composition and keeping looking for the candid.

Meet with the couple several times before the wedding and visit the venue several times to get an idea of lay out and lighting in different conditions. Speak to the clergy or registrar to find out where you can go and what they will allow you to do, basically do your home work.

Most important is to enjoy the day, YOU'RE AT A WEDDING AFTER ALL !!!
Old 27-10-09, 09:54

Well done for getting over the nerves bit...Like I said,I've only really done one wedding properly(I've done the odd 'snapshots' at the register office)And...Yes...The night before, I went to the wedding rehersal to sort out where I could take pics from and exactly what was required...On the day....Mr relative with the video camera plonked his self right in front of my tripod and had the cheek to ask me to move over......Can't really have a punchup in church....:-)I did get some really bad shots of him afterwards at the reception.:-)
Sharon
Old 27-10-09, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz4 View Post
Well done for getting over the nerves bit...Like I said,I've only really done one wedding properly(I've done the odd 'snapshots' at the register office)And...Yes...The night before, I went to the wedding rehersal to sort out where I could take pics from and exactly what was required...On the day....Mr relative with the video camera plonked his self right in front of my tripod and had the cheek to ask me to move over......Can't really have a punchup in church....:-)I did get some really bad shots of him afterwards at the reception.:-)
Sharon
The nerves do die down, though I usually get uneasy a day or so before. With regards to your video chap, I would have asked him to move, if I'm paid to do a job and he isn't then I take priority, that's what I'm there for.

In the case of our video chap this is what he had to say, I've added in my comments :-

Quote:
Having produced wedding films for the last 12 years I have built a broad experience of what happens. (This is actually a lie, he has only being doing this for 5-6 years at the most, prior to that he was chairman of the local amateur video club)

This is particularly so as using 4 cameras there is little that escapes my notice during editing where I may see the same sequences of shots many times in that process. (He uses 4 cameras, and expects us not to get in his way)

So I hope you do not mind me pointing out something's which will help you in your progress towards that elusive perfection. (He knows nothing about us, and has not seen our work. He also has no idea how long we have been doing this. 18 months as a paid services, prior to that we had been doing it as a free service for a couple of years to build the confidence and experience)

The first is that you are at the opposite or wrong end of the scale to being unobtrusive you are to be blunt obtrusive.

Neither you or I are there to draw attention to ourselves. That is difficult enough just standing there. We are there to record as fly's on the wall not to make our selves noticeable. Regret to say that in instances my clips show you took the attention of the congregation when all heads turned in your direction during an important part of the ceremony. There were also distinct looks of annoyance at the racket the cameras were making. (He has four cameras which fill the front of the church, 3 on tripods and 1 on a gyro-mount over his shoulder. Our style it journalistic, I move around and get different angles, so far no one has complained. We also interact with the guests, chatting and joking to put them at their ease.)

All photographers working with assistants in the island keep to their areas. One at the front one at the back. There is no need for both photographers to be in the front of the church. It would be worth if you can observing SW, PT & CK among others carrying out their work. You just do not notice them carrying out their work. They also work on the opposite side to the side I work which is true professionalism. I do not get in their way they not in mine. (I've amended the photographers names, the reason we get bookings is that we are none the above and have a different styles and dare I say personalities, I've heard some bad reports about at least two of these guys)

During speeches you will not see any good photographer standing close to the speaker. Again you were working the same side as my cameras blocking the view of two of my cameras. So easy to work the otherside. SW for instance will kneel down between tables & guests not to block their view. (I did, but again I like to get different angles from the norm, I spoke to the groom from this wedding, he had no problems with our approach)

Despite asking you, continually, you stood in front of my cameras even when not shooting. That is just not professional ! (4 Cameras, how could I miss)

J sprawling on the floor in the church is just not on you bring attention to yourself. Do not forget it is a sacred place to be respected as is the ceremony of the marriage. We are all there on sufferance. (She sat to one side to get the exchange of rings from a different perspective, sprawling, No !)

Ian walking behind the altar during a service is just not on. This is both in respect & also drawing attention to yourself & away from the ceremony. (He was correct, I had to walk behind the alter, to get out of the way of his cameras. But in our defence the Priest was happy for us to go wherever as long as we didn't get in his way.)

During the lovely service of the exchange of rings there is a massive explosion of shots. The above photographers will take one frame. At times I counted an average of 20 shots per minute. This generates 20 clunks of the mirror & they are large clunks. (We took 12 shots, 6 from mine and 6 from my wife's. The reason being we weren't using flash, and having to hand hold 1 70 x 200 and a 1D Mk3 with a 28 - 70, neither bits of kit are light and to ensure we get the shot, we take several.)

Unless you amend the way of working we are all going to be disciplined in the way we work. (He seems to think that he is some-sort of self imposed regulator of wedding photography)

Speaking to one of the ministers at St B a couple of weeks ago annoyance was vented on a couple of photographers who were making "such a racket" that she nearly stopped the service. The Rector told me he would ban some photographers. He has banned one videographer. So care is needed. (The Rector is a friend of ours so I tackled him about this, the only person he has considered banning, is this videographer)

We now have a section on our booking forms asking for details of any videographers booked, if it is this Muppet, then we will politely decline the job. If the happy couple are considering a videographer but haven't booked one then we recommend his immediate competitor.