WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Is this a good step up?

Old 30-06-15, 00:39

Default Is this a good step up?

I'm considering upgrading to a Canon 7D mk11 from a Canon 550d - any views - if this is a good step up, decision or has anyone any other advice, I know questions have been asked before about certain cameras being good to change to and I'm probably repeating someone else's question but just thought I'd ask?
Old 30-06-15, 06:05

The 7D II is more of a pro camera. Here's dpreview link:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/18

the 550D is an enthusiast camera. Again. link to dpreview.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS550D/29

Hope that this helps and not make it more confusing.

BTW, I'm not a Canon man anymore, but I'd go with the 7D II.
Old 30-06-15, 08:28

Marydoll: It all depends on what your expectations and type of photography is.
If you are looking for a cropped sensor, 7D II is one the two best AutoFocus camera bodies for still shooting, available today in entire world, for the price. If you are a bird shooter, dominantly fast sport shooter, you will not be happier with its speed of AFing and accurate shooting. Additionally it has he excellent AFing for video: Dual-Pixel autofocus, similar to 70D that was a break through in class.

In short if you were happy with 550D, you would probably be elated with 7DII. Whether sealed and in house GPS are added features that any traveler photographer may appreciate as well. Another good thing about 7DII is its similarity of bottoms and control panel to 5D III that due to recent price drop, make an excellent companion for any pro photographer that needs to have a full frame and a fast sport crop camera, both is same bag. Just a thought in case you move / add full frame in near future.

The main issue again is what you do genereally and what your new expectations and primary reason to upgrade is. For eg from my own personal type of shooting, I know I am highly addicted to Touch screen LCD for control of camera body, on site review zooming etc on camera's LCD where touch screen is priceless, then I know that I extensively use Articulated LCD and love to have WiFi in camera so I know despite all good features, 7D II is not for me but these might not be even a concern for you.
To stay with Canon line of productions and if I were in your place, I would surely and extensively investigate 750D / 760D also, before making a move.
But then the worst advise I can pass here, have a look at Sony alpha 7 line of cameras too that for full frame sensor and host of significant new features, have turn a lot Canon Loyal users into "None-believers" and Canon's God forgives me for mentioning that to you!!
Bottom line, you will be happy with upgrade but you should look at your own priorities to fine what is right and what not for you. So definitely do your homework.
Here is a chart I made for you just to have some features compared:

LINK

Cheers.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 30-06-15, 13:53

Birdsnapper and Sassan - thank you so much for all the work to have put into answering my query. I am definitely not a pro but live in an area where there is great variety of activity and beauty from wildlife to Air Shows and the 550d has given me so much interest. I have most of the lens, which is one of my deciding factors, I'm not keen on touch screen so that is why I've thought of 7D, although I've friends who have Sony Alpha and who are pleased with Sony. Again many thanks, hopefully when I've got the camera my pics will improve!
Old 30-06-15, 15:04

Mary, as a user of the 7DMK11 since it's releaseI can highly recommend it, but only if your main interests are wildlife and aircraft and especially bird in flight, also it's a pretty mean performer in the macro field. I can honestly say it's the best camera I've ever used, but bear in mind I don't shoot people or landscape, such as the 70D would be useful in this area of photography. Most of the photo's in my gallery since early November were taken with the 7D MK11.

Harry

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...e=5&ppuser=150
Old 30-06-15, 16:21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
... bear in mind I don't shoot people or landscape, such as the 70D would be useful in this area of photography...
Why do you say that the 70D is more suited to people & landscapes Harry? Or have I misunderstood you?
Old 30-06-15, 16:39

Clive,
I don't think I said "the 70D is more suited to people & landscapes.
I was saying that the 70D would be useful than the 7D MK11 for landscape and people.

Harry

Last edited by wolfie; 30-06-15 at 16:45.
Old 30-06-15, 17:26

70D is specially popular among the Youtube bloggers and pros who cover for say marriages and ceremonies that need very high quality video production. The AF in video (Dual pixel contrast) is the best of industry, second to non, that by the way 7DII also has it, but what makes them different is that touch screen of 70D. You can focus on 70D just by touching the object you want, on LCD. That is for eg, a near object, then on focusing screen touch a far object that is out of focus and instantly and accurately (Without hunting for focus), it focuses to the second point of interest, that is the effect you normally see on high end Hollywood productions and used to be only possible with very very expensive "Follow Focus rigs" that were priced at thousands off dollars or with cheaper ones, notorious for hit or miss. This particular feature was the total selling point for my soon who does a lot of video for products on commercial basis.
What I really like about 70D (And may ultimately switch to one), that is beside the very low price these days (My son got his New camera with Kit lens, on sale, recently, I guess for $799 only) and Articulated LCD, Touch scree (That for me are MUST), is the in house WiFi. You wont believe with a free app download on your cellphone or tablet, what kind of dream features you can add to your camera. And believe me when I tell you that adding Wifi card will never give you what a build in one does.
But if you are concern mostly with landscape and portrait, its always better to go for a full frame (By virtue of larger real estate sensor).
I still am very interested in 7DII but surly will miss some of the personally wanted features. One thing Canon or for that mater any major manufacturer is good for, they never give you all you want in one body, even if that is their top of the top model at 4 to 6 K price tag (Eg Canon's 1DX IV or Nikis D4s. That is why you should do your homework, specific to what you anticipate and then unload your wallet.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 01-07-15, 21:27

Thank you very much Sassan this is a really comprehensive post and very interesting too. You all are so kind with your advice and really know what you are talking about.