WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Jessops memory prices

Old 06-02-07, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sharp View Post
I recently recall a conversation with someone in respect of various media cards. It could be one of those urban myths I'm not sure but he took great delight in informing me, like PC processors there are only a few companies who manufacture the cards and then badge/label them accordingly. So off the same production line Jessops cards may be sitting next to Fuji's etc.

It's a bit like the sport top syndrome, you can choose to pay a premium price for the luxury of advertising, (i.e. wearing), a branded/logod spots top...

It's true. Both CD/DVD media and flash cards are made by a relatively small number of manufacturers. There is a wide variation in quality of CD and DVD media. I'm not so sure that is true of flash cards. But if you pay more, you get higher read/write speeds.

I would not expect Jessops cards to match the best. The latter tend to be high speed, which is where the cost lies.
Old 09-02-07, 00:57

I have recently had to return a defective "easydrive" 2 gig cf card to an ebay seller, the label on the card save for the name was identical to the Sandisk Ultra ll. I wasn't conned but it is easy to see how people could be.

As to Jessops, I know most of the staff in the branches local to me, Crewe, Newcastle-under-Lyme and Stoke, my policy is that I usually buy the cameras and lenses there if the price is close to the online price at places like warehouse express (and they usually pricematch anyway), the benefit is that I collect the item and usually have some instructions in the shop. The staff in the branches local to me seem to stay with the company although do seem to rotate around the branches and most seem to be fairly happy with their jobs in a "British Rail Employee" sort of way (I spent 30 mostly happy years with British Rail).

One interesting thing is that I recently bought two Raynox macro convertors at a bargain price on line from an anyomous sound sounding company, when they arrived they had come from Jessops, and the instructions were in the case of problems to contact my nearest Jessops shop!

SW

Last edited by speckled wood; 09-02-07 at 01:01.
Old 01-03-07, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
Just had a look around for Sandisk 1GB Extreme III Compactflash Card .
Picstop = £17.90
Jessops = £79.99

Do Jessops actually sell any memory cards? if so who is buying from them.
Down to £14.99 (delivered) on play.com now.
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...archtype=genre

Duncan
Old 01-03-07, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Down to £14.99 (delivered) on play.com now.
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...archtype=genre

Duncan
Yep, Memory prices are still falling - I have been using an unbranded 1gb cf card from 7dayshop for about 9 months now with no problems and this card is now down to £5.99.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 01-03-07, 17:09

I've just bought a 2GB Extreme III card from Picstop for £26 - excellent deal.

Jessops current price £64.99 - if that's not trying to rip people off I don't know what is.

simon

North Wales photographs - Snowdonia & Anglesey
Old 01-03-07, 18:40

I hope you didn't pay any postage on that Simon?
Did you check the prices at your local Jessops today before putting up your posting?
As from today, memory prices have been halved.
This includes all high street branches as well as Jessops.com

This helps to please more folks who come in asking, but undoubtly there will always be those who'd like them even lower.
Old 01-03-07, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Did you check the prices at your local Jessops today before putting up your posting?

This helps to please more folks who come in asking, but undoubtly there will always be those who'd like them even lower.
Credit where it's due. The price from picstop is actually £26.90 at the moment, plus £2.50 postage makes £29.40, so that's not too far off the Jessops price of £32.50, assuming it's halved from £65. For the convenience of being able to walk in and buy one, I'd say I'd have gone to Jessops.

Not sure if the price reduction has been driven by Jessops executives reading this thread , or if they felt the need to do something drastic to resurrect the share price. Given the overheads of running a high street shop, I can't see that they can make a profit at the reduced price.
Old 01-03-07, 20:06

Quote:

Mr Jessops,

If high street prices have been reduced the company still seems happy to rip-off its online customers, here's the current online quote:

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s29758/...s.aspx?&comp=n

Old 01-03-07, 20:11

try your local branch..
In all honesty the website may not have been updated as quickly as high street stores did today.

There's a few other offers on starting today too.....FINALLY high street branches will match jessops website prices.....
bonus is some cameras and camcorders can be further ruduced in-store by using 'vouchers' on the current flyers.....outside stores from today

Yelvertoft, in answer to the cards vs profit, yes I think some will be sold at minimal/nil profit. obviously I can't let on trade prices...but needless to say it isn't as good a deal as I thought it should have been first time I ever looked!....yes, the card prices reduction is temporary unfortunately

Last edited by Joe; 01-03-07 at 20:22.
Old 01-03-07, 20:23

Quote:
try your local branch..
In all honesty the website may not have been updated as quickly as high street stores did today.

There's a few other offers on starting today too.....FINALLY high street branches will match jessops website prices.....
bonus is some cameras and camcorders can be further ruduced in-store by using 'vouchers' on the current flyers.....outside stores from today
Good luck with the marketing campaign