WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Phase One Capture One v4 (final) released

Old 26-12-07, 17:50

Default Phase One Capture One v4 (final) released

Phase One have now released a full version of Capture One v4 raw file processing software. If you have a copy of v3.x.x you can get v4 activated as a free upgrade. For a while now, SanDisk Extreme III cards came with a free licence key for v3.7.7, if you install v3.7.7 and activate it using the free key, you can then download and upgrade v4 for free.

Bit of a bargain really.

Download v4 here:
http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx

Duncan
Old 26-12-07, 18:24

What does Phase One offer over and above Canon Digital Processing and PS Camera Raw?
The offer seems pretty good if you are buying a SanDisk though
Old 26-12-07, 21:16

Not being a Canon user, I'm not familiar with Canon DPP, but I much prefer Capture 1 over Adobe Camera raw because of the degree of control it gives you. There is a much wider range of adjustment/controls available in C1 and the output is of much higher quality in terms of the way it renders colours and the quality of sharpening. Adobe Camera raw is a pretty basic package with what you can do with it in reality.

There's nothing to stop you downloading C1 v4 and using it on the 30 day trial you get anyway even if you haven't got a licence key at the moment. I know that quite recently, SanDisk Extreme III cards bought from http://www.picstop.co.uk/ were still coming with the free licence.

Give it a go on the 30 day evaluation, see how you get on. The user interface is similar to Adobe Lightroom if you've used that.

Regards,

Duncan
Old 27-12-07, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
...if you install v3.7.7 and activate it using the free key, you can then download and upgrade v4 for free....

Why not just download version 4 and use the same license key.
Old 27-12-07, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanon View Post
Why not just download version 4 and use the same license key.
Because it won't let you do that. The licence is for v3.x.x and allows ONE free upGRADE, upDATES (to 4.x.x etc) are free too, but the free licence with the Sandisk cards are for v3.x.x. You use the free upgrade to go to v4.x.x. if that makes sense.

Duncan
Old 27-12-07, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Because it won't let you do that. The licence is for v3.x.x and allows ONE free upGRADE, upDATES (to 4.x.x etc) are free too, but the free licence with the Sandisk cards are for v3.x.x. You use the free upgrade to go to v4.x.x. if that makes sense.

Duncan
Well I did it.

I downloaded v4 and used the licence key for v3.5.1 which I've had for 3 years. (I can't see that it being supplied as Sandisk freebie would make any difference).

I now have two versions of this running side by side. v3 and v4.
Old 27-12-07, 22:02
Super Moderator

How long did you have to wait to get the activation key, I have been waiting a couple of days. I have tried my key from 3.77 and it wouldn't work.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 27-12-07, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
How long did you have to wait to get the activation key, I have been waiting a couple of days. I have tried my key from 3.77 and it wouldn't work.
Christine, please explain "wouldn't work". Have you registered your copy of 3.7.7? This involves creating a user profile with Phase One. If you haven't registered your copy of 3.7.7, it won't let you register v4.

It would appear that Kwanon has got a registered copy of 3.x.x and been using that, so the update to v4 has worked fine. You can't use the key for 3.x.x directly against v4. You have to register your key against v3 first, which involves creating a Capture 1 profile, then upgrade to v4. You can download v3.7.7 from here:
http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/COforWIN.aspx
Click on the green arrow and follow the instructions.

Duncan
Old 27-12-07, 22:20
Super Moderator

I always login there when I download the updates, I wonder why its not registering. I was able to log in to download version 4.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 27-12-07, 22:34
Super Moderator

On my Version 3.77 when I go to license Activation it says it is already active but with no numbers, online in phase one its says its a 30day trial. I will email them to find out what is wrong.