WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Olympic Photo-Journalism

Old 19-08-08, 06:30

LOL Joe.

Love the concept of "rent-a-crowd".
But I thought the agency is called "Lash-or-prison-A-crowd"

I am really impressed by the moving cameras at the side of fields that seems are all in double. I guess some Chines movie version of Olympics will be out soon is 3D.

Equally impressive for me is the under water mobile cameras that move with the swimmers. I can't believe technology has become so advance to actually show a finger nail difference or one hundredth of a second on picture to find the right winner with no doubt whatsoever , using this technology (Talking of that fabulus remarkable marvelous win of Michael Dolphin Phelps...).

Wonder how a commercial or independent sport photographer can have access and control over those or any other dependent under the water pool cameras... May be a good idea for 2012 to install many and rent some of those cameras ahead of time to companies that can afford the 7 digit figures for independent picture taking, so a lot of cameras that ultimately bring in a lot of revenue for the host country. I hope some of you guys have input or influence on these type of issues for London's Olympic. If approved, I'll apply for my commission later on

Lastly but most importantly I am sure Duncan will not forgive me not to say something about the beauty of those beige L class lenses with sexiest lip stick on the end top, (Engineer must have been French-Japaneses) that of no doubt are the most beautiful lenses in the world, dominant on the picture of the Link Duncan left, 2 preserving the beauty of Olympics in true and accurate color, Of course talking of the best camera in the world, Canon...

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 19-08-08 at 06:58.
Old 19-08-08, 11:24

Quote:
the beauty of those beige L class lenses with sexiest lip stick on the end top,
They do look nice, but as I've found with the early 300mm Sigma, which is the same colour.....it's a totally impracticle colour for hiding marks and prangs to the barrel! ....they also make you stand out in a crowd (tho some may like this?)
Old 20-08-08, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
They do look nice, but as I've found with the early 300mm Sigma, which is the same colour.....it's a totally impracticle colour for hiding marks and prangs to the barrel! ....they also make you stand out in a crowd (tho some may like this?)

Joe sorry but this time you are not right. In fact the color is so practical that you see newer lenses including some of the expensive long Nikon and Sony/Minolta/Zeiss are done this way.

This is because especially on the long heavy lenses when pros use them in major fields such as this Olympics ground etc, usually under sun and natural conditions, the color Black by virtue of absorbing sun's energy turns warm, causing expansions of part. On critical levels this does decrease the quality by changes in focal length. Then miss function and many other problems are in association to traditional black color too. White just reflects the light and its energy so remains cooler and more resistant to these thermal changes. All simple physics. If you don't believe me ask Dav. I will not be surprise to see once the dust of zealousness settles, many other companies also follow Canon's color, especially for long heavy focal length lenses.

As for outer lens' Red ring or lip stick part I am not so sure. May be you are right there.

" JOE BIDEN
Old 20-08-08, 10:38

Sassan, are we sure that Canon did it first?
Didn't Tamron, Sigma, and some of the older more exotic older Zeiss glass come with a cream /white barrel?

I'm more likely to prang and leave marks on my Sigma than it is to over heat...I'm using a black camera body afterall....though what you say makes perfect sense...hadn't thought of that one
Old 20-08-08, 12:17

To get back vaguely on-topic, it really is worth keeping up with the entries in the blog. I'm particularly impressed with the Pic of The Day for the 15th August
http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp.../08/index.html
Old 20-08-08, 20:10

My favorite of all still remains to be fencing with low shutter speed from Aug 14:
LINK

BTW who is Simon that says:
Simon loves Yelena

" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 20-08-08 at 20:13.
Old 20-08-08, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Sassan, are we sure that Canon did it first?
Didn't Tamron, Sigma, and some of the older more exotic older Zeiss glass come with a cream /white barrel?

I'm more likely to prang and leave marks on my Sigma than it is to over heat...I'm using a black camera body afterall....though what you say makes perfect sense...hadn't thought of that one

I reckon that Canon were before Sigma - didn't they make the old manual-focus FD super telephotos in white (600mm F4.5, 800mm F5.6, etc.)? The earliest Sigmas I can think of were a couple of zooms - 55-200mm and 150-500mm Apos if I remember correctly. Tamron's first 300mm F2.8 (non-internal focus) was quite a pale colour, I think, but I'm not sure when it first appeared.

I've got a 400mm F5.6 Sigma from the same era as your 300mm, Joe. The off-white colour certainly deflects heat from the lens - have you noticed how cold to the touch they are in the winter?

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 21-08-08, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
BTW who is Simon that says:
Simon loves Yelena
Simon is Simon Barnes, the Times chief sports writer, the guy who writes the words to accompany Marc Aspland's (the PJ who's blog we are discussing)pictures in the paper.

Simon's piece on Yelena can be read here.
http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp...seeing-th.html

His piece on a woman who is remarkable for reasons other than photogenics can be read here:
http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp...ow-on-ear.html
Old 24-08-08, 11:17

Quote:
My favorite of all still remains to be fencing with low shutter speed from Aug 14:
Has got to be one of my favourites too Sassan.
Some of the Greco-Roman wresling pictures are great too.....gauranteed top facial expressions.

Quote:
I've got a 400mm F5.6 Sigma from the same era as your 300mm, Joe. The off-white colour certainly deflects heat from the lens - have you noticed how cold to the touch they are in the winter?
Mine is away for cleaning and servicing at the mo. the optics seem to suffer big time with condensation.