WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Inkjet vs Dye-Sublimation

Old 30-01-09, 23:37

Smile Inkjet vs Dye-Sublimation

I am not very impressed with my current photo printer, which is an Epson Stylus Photo R285. I am considering either a suitable, highly recomended inkjet printer or a dye-sub printer. I have seen such conflicting views on inkjet vs dye-sub that I want to canvas the opinion of those who should know best, your good selves.

Which do you consider to be the best technology and why. And if you have a preference for a particular technology, which mke or model would you go for, and why.

Help me please.

Michael
Old 31-01-09, 12:30

Hi there.
In my view the best method is to send them through a kiosk and have them chemical 'wet' printed, at your favourite lab.
However, for home printing of photos you want to last, I think Dye-sub method prints seem to be less prone to fade over time.
Lots of new ink-jet technology now exists to replicate some of the archive qualities. Most major paper manufacturers have archive paper listed. I'm yet to be convinced though.
Old 31-01-09, 16:28

Joe is absolutely right.

When considering cost per print sending photos to a lab wins hands down. With whatever technology could you produce print for 10p each at the quality of 'real' photographs?
Notwithstanding the hassle of producing your own photos.

I am selling more and more prints online and I find people do not want homemade prints whatever the technology and how good. When parting with £15-20 per print I believe my customers take comfort in me explaining I use a print lab and can guarantee quality.
Old 01-02-09, 01:38

Purely out of interest are there any large format Dye-Sublimation printers ?
The only ones I have come across are postcard size format.

Sending off to a photo lab also gets my vote. Ink Jets can be such a hassle when the printheads clog due to infrequent use.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 01-02-09, 10:43

Smile Dye-Sub Printer sizes

You can certainly get a desktop A4 Dye-Sub printer from Olympus, the P-440 at approaching £400. Commercially you can get Dye-Sub printers in wide format styles probably up to A0!

I am going to give the photo lab a try but the turn-around could be a concern.

Michael
Old 01-02-09, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post

I am going to give the photo lab a try but the turn-around could be a concern.
Professional photo labs that charge the earth can be slower than a more consumer lab. I use Photobox who are very quick. I remember having to do a 10 x 8 print for someone before we had a weekend away. It was uploaded on a Friday and was the print was through the letterbox before we came back on Monday lunch!

Whatever you do DO NOT use the supermarkets. I have had issues with blown highlights and others colour balance.
Old 01-02-09, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
desktop A4 Dye-Sub printer from Olympus, the P-440 at approaching £400.Michael
As I only spent about £30 on photo lab prints last year it will be a long time before this printer starts paying for itself.

I second what Foxy says avoid the Supermarket and places like photobox normally turn around in a few days.
A lot of on-line places will do a single 8 x 10 for less than a £1. Also many post free offers at the moment.

Have you tried the local Jessops in Tonbridge ?

Normally Jessops are OK but I have noticed their low volume prices are a bit rich.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 01-02-09 at 11:55.
Old 11-03-09, 19:23

choose method for the currect type of printer
Old 18-06-09, 11:43

Which is the best inkjet printer available - HP, Canon, Epson or Lexmark? How do they compare price wise? Also how soon do they start giving errors or stop working properly

Last edited by stevlena; 18-06-09 at 11:45.
Old 18-06-09, 12:12

I guess it depends on what your output is. I produce 18"X12" prints on archival and art papers, which would cost an awful lot more to get done commercially than on my epson 2100. Plus, I have full control of how the print looks, use my own print profiles etc to get consistent and predictable results that I like etc.
For 6"X4", I agree - a lab would be cheaper for me.
For photoprinting, I have always used epson printers. My 2100 is now 5yrs or so old, still giving good service. The only problem I have had is occasional clogging, but so long as I use it every two or three weeks it's fine.

Tags
dye-sub, inkjet