WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Nikon D7000 or D300s?? HELP!!!

Old 21-12-10, 00:13

Default Nikon D7000 or D300s?? HELP!!!

Hi, I was about to buy the Nikon d300s for christmas, but now Nikon has brought out their D7000. I heard the noise and the resolution on the d7000 are pretty amazing. I do a lot of nature photography, and I can get both cameras as approx. the same price, which one should I go for?
Thanks a lot.
Old 21-12-10, 09:07

Bob

If you haven't already I would read the recent DPReview article which apart from simply telling you about the D7000 compares the pluses and minuses with the D90 and D300S

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/
Old 21-12-10, 09:46

I have already read a lot of reviews, but even though DPreview tells us that "the D300s is currently Nikons APS-C flagship", the D7000 also beats it in several factors, including resolution, sensitivity, and many more (comparing from the table on the first page of the review).
I do not feel like I need the "best" autofocus system out there, and even less the faster shooting, does that mean I should go for the D7000? (I am upgrading from a D60).
Old 21-12-10, 20:20

Hi Bob, can i suggest you try and handle both models and see which feels better for you. Find a shop that will let you try both. I went through the D70, D2X, D2H,D200, D300 and I finally settled on full frame D3 and D700. We can always chase more pixels but for the sizes we print does it matter? And I for one, think of myself as a photographer (sort of anyway ) not a movie maker so I don't want movie capability. Bodies come and go the lenses are more important - always best glass you can afford.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 30-12-10, 23:24

Try this side by side review - hope it helps ~ John

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp
Old 22-02-11, 11:46

Default Nikon D7000

Definately you can go with Nikon D7000. Because the D7000 has AF and metering systems are also new, and represent a significant upgrade to those used in the D90. In terms of its specification, the D7000 actually outguns the D300S in many respects, and at 16.2Mp it offers the second highest resolution of any Nikon DSLR, behind only the 24Mp D3X.

Nikon D7000 Key Features

- 1080p HD video recording with mic jack for external microphone
- Scene Recognition System (see 2016 pixel sensor, above) aids metering + focus accuracy
- Twin SD card slots
- 3.0 inch 921k dot LCD screen
- New Live View/movie shooting switch
- Full-time AF in Live View/movie modes
- Up to 6fps continuous shooting
- Shutter tested to 150K actuations
Old 19-05-11, 18:07

I have just got the D7000 as an upgrade from the D200 (not a D300 by a long way I know) but the improvements are vast. The noise levels at iso 1600 are hardly noticeable on a correctly exposed shot and are only evident at higher magnifications or crops at around iso 3200.
The big jump in pixel count is pretty impressive too. I have not had a proper chance to use in anger on a landscape shoot as yet but will be out this weekend hopefully.
Build quality is reasonably substantial as well, although not as heavy or solid as the D200 was, it is still partially magnesium alloy framed and has the dust and moisture seals of the D200/300 cameras.
The new metering and focus works like a dream on subject tracking in the 3D mode. I could never quite get it work on the D200 so didnt ever bother using it. Would be a boon for wildlife togs with a fast lens attached.
I would highly recommend the D7000 to anyone considering an upgrade or new camera. I got the 18-105 VR lens as part of the kit which is fine as a general purpose carry around, but will be switching to the Sigma 10-20 as soon as I hit the hills

Regards
Richard

www.rsp-photo.co.uk

Tags
d300s, d7000, nikon