WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > WPF Photo Competitions Forum

WPF Photo Competitions Forum All the details for the monthly WPF Photo Competitions

January Competition Theme: Black and White

Old 01-01-08, 10:40

Default January Competition Theme: Black and White

Our Janaury competition shall be themed 'Black and White' Please upload your photos to the competition entries category in the gallery.

The competition will be open until January 31st. At the end of January entries will go into a poll for voting for two weeks when a winner will be announced and transferred into the competition winners category. At the end of this year all competition winners will be entered into a poll for the photo of the year contest, held in January 2009.

One entry per member, photo must have been taken by a member but there is no time restriction on when the photo was taken.

Photos that have been entered in our gallery longer than 31 days shall not allowed.

Digitally manipulated photos shall not be allowed, there will be opportunity thoughout the year to enter art of this kind.

In the event of an overwhelming number of entries Moderators and Admin will decide on a final short list, in this event any Moderators or Admin who entered the competition shall remove their own entry.

To enter click Here

Black and White was suggested by member Greenbunion, if you have any suggestions for future competitions, please send to me via private message.
Old 01-01-08, 11:08
Chris

a couple of clarifications please Foxy

"Digitally manipulated photos shall not be allowed" - does this exclude normal conversion to black and white (or tinted) in a pp programme?

If we happen to come across a subject that answers the title but happens to be in colour is that OK?
Old 01-01-08, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
"Digitally manipulated photos shall not be allowed" - does this exclude normal conversion to black and white (or tinted) in a pp programme?
No, I think he meant no other mixing and matching than Black & white.
Quote:
If we happen to come across a subject that answers the title but happens to be in colour is that OK?
????? ????
Old 01-01-08, 12:07

Quote:
Manipulated means the introduction of subject matter to change the original photo beyond recognition for the purpose of art. A good example of manipulation can be found here. Normal photo workflow is not considered as manipulation. Changes such as cropping, exposure, colour, sharpness and conversion to black and white are all procedures in normal editting and enhancement.

Quote:
If the photo shows a subject as black and white, yes. The image must be totally black and white.

If a photo does not fit the theme it will not go through the finalist stage for inclusion to the poll. If anyone has any doubt for the validity of an image, please consult me via private message.

Disclaimer: The above manipulation definition is my personal opinion when applied to the phrase digital manipulation
Old 01-01-08, 18:33

So if we just use the B/W setting on the camera,I think cameras do have this facility,will this be okay,or as prev mentioned do we have to find a subject which is already B/W and contains no other colours as such.
If I took a shot of Alfie our black lab on the beach,and changed the sand to white,would that count?or similar.
This sounds really difficult,but a challenge !!!!.
So if digital manipulation is not allowed,does this include eg Picasa prog.One click of the mouse,and ones shot is immediately changed to B/W.I just tested it with a Blackbird against a clear background.
I guess one needs to find a B/W subject.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356

Last edited by Christine; 01-01-08 at 18:46.
Old 01-01-08, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
So if we just use the B/W setting on the camera,I think cameras do have this facility,will this be okay,or as prev mentioned do we have to find a subject which is already B/W and contains no other colours as such.
If I took a shot of Alfie our black lab on the beach,and changed the sand to white,would that count?or similar.
This sounds really difficult,but a challenge !!!!.
So if digital manipulation is not allowed,does this include eg Picasa prog.One click of the mouse,and ones shot is immediately changed to B/W.I just tested it with a Blackbird against a clear background.
I guess one needs to find a B/W subject.
I think the spirit of Greenbunions 'Black and White' competition theme is a photograph finished in black and white. How any member arrives at that finish is immaterial. As stated above black and white treatment of photographs is perfectly acceptable.
Old 01-01-08, 19:27

Christine,

It may help to re-read Stephen's clarification of digital manipulation:

"Manipulated means the introduction of subject matter to change the original photo beyond recognition for the purpose of art. Normal photo workflow is not considered as manipulation. Changes such as cropping, exposure, colour, sharpness and conversion to black and white are all procedures in normal editting and enhancement."
Old 01-01-08, 20:04

If anyone wants some help on converting their pictures to Black and White to fit this month's theme, there's some useful utilities here:
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=1483
These tools work in Elements and PSP as well as the full version of Photoshop.

Hope this helps, otherwise it may be tricky if we get a lot of pictures of zebra crossings.
Old 01-01-08, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
If anyone wants some help on converting their pictures to Black and White to fit this month's theme, there's some useful utilities here:
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=1483
These tools work in Elements and PSP as well as the full version of Photoshop.

Hope this helps, otherwise it may be tricky if we get a lot of pictures of zebra crossings.
I don't think this helps as Black and White is about two colours. If you convert pictures to "Black & White" this is essentially Monchrome, which is a range of greys between and including B&W.

So is the competition Black & White subject only (two tones) or Monochrome converted from a colour capture (thousands of tones)?
Old 02-01-08, 09:23

When I suggested the theme my intention was for monochrome, greyscale photographs. Taken using black and white film and scanned, colour film, scanned and converted to greyscale, or digital converted to greyscale. NOT the photographing of black and white subjects. Here is an example:
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...=500&ppuser=17
Taken on a Nikon D200 in full colour RAW then converted using Black and White setting in PS3, finally converted to greyscale for uploading.