WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

studio lighting set up

Old 19-06-08, 15:23
Super Moderator

Default studio lighting set up

I'm thinking of setting up a mini-studio to do some portrait work in... I started looking through the lighting options earlier today and got a bit lost! I found a couple of set ups that seemed ok as a starter but wondered if others could give opinions on them or other options. Also any advice on where to buy from?

First is this one - http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1023816 lighting and a background...

or this one - http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1002618 just the lighting.

Edit: getting even more confused the more I look - it seems I could get a constant light set up or a flash set up for similar money... any opinions on which is the better way to go?

Last edited by postcardcv; 19-06-08 at 16:14.
Old 19-06-08, 17:25

2 x 1000 watt bulbs . Thats some serious heat generators and bright.

Tricky one Postie. Some people find a constant light source easier to work with. Determining where the shadows will be, and their intensity. Trying to think who said that in an old post in the Flash Forum. The downside of constant light outfits is heat generated by the bulbs. Turn the lights on and you know it. In this case 2 x 1000watt bulbs in a fairly small room is to the eyes pretty bright. No idea how you can chimp in that light. I think Clive ( Gidders ) uses a constant light set up. I'm sure he posted a pic of his set up in a thread somewhere. I will search.

Personally I am 100% for flash. Once you have had a bit of a play its not as tricky as you might think. Again personal opinion but I think it far more versatile than a constant light source.

Best bet for now is to see if Clive picks up on this thread and see what he thinks.

Don
Old 19-06-08, 17:33
Super Moderator

thanks Don - having never used such a set up I really have no idea of quite what any given power will give (though now you mention it 1000w does sound a lot). I guess that the twin 500w would be more than enough for a small home studio set up. The flash set up that I was looking at was this one - http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1025920 any opinions?

Also do people think that proper background cloths are worth buying or do you use other stuff?
Old 19-06-08, 17:51

Minimum you really want is 250 w/s as that is roughly equal to a camera flash with a guide number of 45.

150w/s is probably closer to guide number 30 so you would be limited to a fairly wide aperture.

Remember diffusion whether of constant light or flash absorbs output. A bounce brolly will loose you one stop minimum over direct lighting.

I know you are starting off thinking portraits but once you have the kit its surprising how quickly you will want to try something else so these are important considerations.

Lucky out time now ( Lucky is the budgie and he shouts if he feels left out ) , so I will look through WHE around 7:00pm if you give an idea of total budget.

Catch you later.

Don
Old 19-06-08, 18:15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Minimum you really want is 250 w/s as that is roughly equal to a camera flash with a guide number of 45.

150w/s is probably closer to guide number 30 so you would be limited to a fairly wide aperture.

Remember diffusion whether of constant light or flash absorbs output. A bounce brolly will loose you one stop minimum over direct lighting.

I know you are starting off thinking portraits but once you have the kit its surprising how quickly you will want to try something else so these are important considerations.

Lucky out time now ( Lucky is the budgie and he shouts if he feels left out ) , so I will look through WHE around 7:00pm if you give an idea of total budget.

Catch you later.

Don
cheers Don, very useful info - It's good to get advice from someone who knows what they're talking about!

Total budget it a tricky one as I've not discussed it with my wife (as she's the one earning the money I guess I should check) but I was thinking of about £3-500 (though I'd like to get some background materials out of that too). That said if I don't want to find myself wanting/needing to upgrade in a years time. So if I need to I'll wait and save some more as I'd like to get it right first time.
Old 19-06-08, 19:15

I'll leave you with the WHE Steve Aves page to keep you going while i have a rummage.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/Home...s/reviews.html

Lots of general stuff here.

Don
Old 19-06-08, 19:32

Your starter for 10 here. Both manufacturers I would be happy to recommend.
Elinchrom D-Lite http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1012337

Bowens Esprit http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1019168

Both are 200 w/s so thats ok. Both are 2 head outfits complete with stands etc. If you have a camera flash of reasonable power we could consider a single head and use the camera flash as the second light to reduce outlay on the flash heads.

Now to have a look at backgrounds.

Don
Old 19-06-08, 19:57

So many options for backgrounds - cheap to expensive that I am going to see if I can find the thread where Clive shows his set up to post a link.

This thread really needs his input as the portrait guru anyway.

Don
Old 19-06-08, 19:59

There's a bit of luck. Found in no time.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=2387

Don
Old 20-06-08, 00:31
Super Moderator

You're right Don - I do use continuous lights, and as they are daylight (ish) balanced fluorescent tubes - 5 per soft box giving 500w without the heat issue