WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > Discussion on Photo of the Week

WPF Censorship - POTW

Old 12-03-08, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekb View Post
I have a great idea, which may well work out and gives everyone a chance to be a part of the selection process.

The image with the largest number of comments at a certain day/time at the end of each week is chosen as the POTW.

Now many may well say that in the above scenario the current POTW would have been chosen - I disagree because this is a one off and many people have commented on this image to show support for the mods.

If we start from scratch it will not matter what one individual thinks, it will be a real group decision and in my opinion will help make members feel part of the selection process.

Comments please????
I'll thank everyone individually for their comments on any of my postings; in addition, I'll register under a dozen different names and I think that I stand a good chance of winning
Old 12-03-08, 13:25
Super Moderator

Interesting idea.

On that basis, statistically, based on 22800 images posted recieving a total of 73600 comments or an average of 3.229 comments each your best chances of getting a POTW winner are:

Category_____________Ave Comments
People___________________3.683
Manipulated Images________3.676
Still Life__________________3.580

and least likely to be selected would be

Transport________________2.465
Plant Life.________________2.411
Sports & Action___________2.268

Of course there are lies, damn lies & then there's statistics
Old 12-03-08, 14:39

Some very interesting ideas here, but in the end, however the PotW is chosen, and whichever picture is chosen people will disagree.

You could set up a committee, but who chooses the committee, and is their choice of picture going to be any different to that which is being chosen at the moment.

You could select an individual member, but who chooses that member. And people will still dispute the choice of member, and their choice of picture.

You could select the picture which has attracted most comments, but not all comments attached to an image are relevant to that picture. (I currently have a picture in the gallery, and at least three of the comments posted have nothing to with my picture, instead they are a debate about Picture of the Week).
Also a lot of people reply to each comment posted on one of their images, thereby giving a false impression.

At the end of the day all theses alternatives are just “variations on a theme,” and will still cause controversy. So let’s leave PotW as it is.
Old 12-03-08, 15:43
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john crossley View Post
...At the end of the day all theses alternatives are just “variations on a theme,” and will still cause controversy. So let’s leave PotW as it is.
Well said John appl.gif
Old 12-03-08, 17:18

LOL - John your starting to sound like a committee meeting yourself.

I think the issue is more to do with the degree of controversy. Accepting you can't please all the people all the time you can at least attempt to get a High level of agreement in the choice of PoTW. In my case the level of agreement is 3 out of 8.

If after a straw poll 80% of the people are 80% in agreement with the choice of PoTW then I'll go quietly back into my corner and view the PoTW as another worthless exercise.

PS - I would put your Saltaire Chapel in my top 3 for this week, but having said that it no doubt has given it the kiss of death.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 12-03-08, 19:54

Hi All
I have read this thread with interest, and I remembered starting this thread:-

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=1717

Maybe a look would show the difficulty in picking one shot over a year, so you can imagine the trouble picking one per week.

Ian
Old 14-03-08, 13:32

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

For some of us, the point of taking a picture is to try to capture a true image of the natural world. Unfortunately pictures of that type don't even get looked at on WPF let alone draw comments. My impression is that only contrived, artificial pictures will ever be considered for POTW status. My solution is simple, look at the winner admire it, perhaps, then move on and not not worry about it. My pictures are what I enjoy taking and if my taste doesn't suite anyone else well, so be it.
Old 14-03-08, 16:10

Dan, I think you got it 100% correct.
Old 14-03-08, 17:56

As two threads have now been posted about the mods choice of POTW that have generated a fair level of discussion my thoughts are
1) Mods choice of POTW is Mods choice and not everyone will be happy but leave as is.
2) Members who feel that they would like to flag up a particular image could do so through a dedicated thread in the Photography Forum. " Personal Current Gallery Favourite "
That should keep everyone happy.

This would allow any member to post a link to ONE IMAGE that they feel worthy of note from " The Most Recent Photos " in any of the catagories. I realize that images in some catagories will span quite some time but hey-ho you have to start somewhere if this is what you want. Thereafter individual member submissions should be at least one week apart.

There does however need to be one rule. Respect for the posters Critique or No Critique before posting any comment as to that selection. The odds are that these choices could be as contraversial is POTW.

It would be up to the person chosing the image if they wanted to expand on the reasons for their choice.

I will start the ball running. See " Personal current gallery favourite " thread

Don
Old 14-03-08, 19:50

The idea gets my vote Don. It allows images of merit of any type to get a mention.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated