WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Raw conversion with Elements v5?

Old 05-05-09, 18:38

Default Raw conversion with Elements v5?

Today I went out and took quite a few photos. I brought the camera back and tried to upload them to Elements 5, but it came up as files damaged! I used to shoot in Raw with my Canon 300d and always successfully edited the photos in Elements, but it's just not happening now. Also Adobe doesn't recognise them as Raw files (I know this because I had to upload them to Picassa and then opened the file, after saving it to desktop from Picassa, the file opened then, but no Raw conversion dialog box came up!). :-(

I really am not sure what to do with my raw files, now I can't edit them properly. :-| Also, the files are called NEF files??
Old 05-05-09, 20:13

Hi Sally,

I see you are using a D40 so perhaps I can help a bit.
I know nothing about Elements 5 but you can convert Nikon RAW files ( NEFs ) using Nikon View NX. I would think that this came on a disc with your camera.

View NX is a very basic prog unlike Nikon NX which is the full thing. In View NX your raw adjustments in the Camera Settings Box are limited to Exposure adjustment +/- 2 stops, White balance and Picture control. If you do not have a disc with View NX then you can download for free from Nikons site.

I only use this as a tranfer job for Stevies camera so I have not really played with it. Attatched is a screen grab to show the conversion path that I hope helps.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg View NX.jpg (122.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-05-09, 20:28

NEF files are Nikon RAW files. If you have a late model camera of any make try downloading and installing the latest Camera RAW plug in for Elements although unfortunately I think that the necessary plug in for the latest model cameras need Elements 6 or 7 to download and install. You will have to go to Adobes web site and look I am afraid.
Had a look on Adobes site and the latest plug in compatible with Elements 5 is Camera Raw plug in 4.5 which is works with the D40 so that is OK. Find it here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4000
I would print out the instructions so you can refer to them as it slightly long winded and you do not want to get it wrong. Hope this helps.

Last edited by miketoll; 05-05-09 at 20:43.
Old 05-05-09, 20:30

Sally,

Have you installed the Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) plug-in on your version of Elements 5? The latest version of ACR that Elements 5 supports is ACR v4.5. You can download a copy from here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4000
The installation instructions can also be found on this page. ACR v4.5 supports the D40, so you should be able ot process your raw files using this.

Duncan
Old 05-05-09, 21:28

Alternatively, try downloading the latest 'updates' from within Elements - I think it's under 'Help' (that's where it is in the full Photoshop, anyway).

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 05-05-09, 21:32

Sorry but Adey's idea does not work in 5 or 6. I think I read somewhere there is a more automated method in 7. Long winded way I am afraid.
Old 06-05-09, 10:29

Thanks for the replies!

I got my camera second hand, so didn't get any software with it. I have now downloaded the latest Raw conversion software, from the Nikon site.

Thanks again!
Old 06-05-09, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Sorry but Adey's idea does not work in 5 or 6. I think I read somewhere there is a more automated method in 7. Long winded way I am afraid.

Ah well, it was worth a try! Don't worry about the long-winded way, though, Sally. Provided you follow the instructions it works fine (I did my first updates in Photoshop via this method until I realised the 'Help-Updates' system worked quicker).

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway