WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

What's going wrong? Photoshop

Old 28-01-09, 09:21

Default What's going wrong? Photoshop

I have a rather old version of Photoshop, version 5.5 to be exact. It runs fine on Vista but it loses the exif when I save images once converted from the RAW file.

Am I doing something wrong or is this inherent in this older version of Photoshop?
Old 28-01-09, 09:37

Are you using "Save to Web" if so that is your problem, use "Save As"
Old 28-01-09, 09:47

I've just tried that after you suggestion and I'm still losing the exif
Old 28-01-09, 09:57

I've just tried a straight 'Save' and I'm still losing the exif!

I can only think that this version of Photoshop doesn't run true on Vista, not that it's a problem for me personally but when I upload photographs to here I'd like the exif included as that will help when people comment.

I'll have to resize for uploading in Canon DPP and leave it as is
Old 28-01-09, 10:01

It appears that Photoshop 5.5 does not support exif.

Remember Photoshop 5.5 is very old and probably predates main stream digital cameras. I remember we had to do a mod to my companies software back in that era to preserve exif data.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 28-01-09, 10:07

I understand version 5.5 is very old, it came as part of a bundle deal (I could choose two software programs) when I purchased a Windows 98 PC many years ago and to be honest I'm amazed that it runs at all on Vista.

I'd love the new Photoshop CS but at the moment it's beyond my budget, can anyone recommend something around half the price that will do a job for me?
Old 28-01-09, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I'd love the new Photoshop CS but at the moment it's beyond my budget, can anyone recommend something around half the price that will do a job for me?
Photoshop Elements 6 or 7 will do just about anything you will ever need to do with picture editing. You can get Elements 7 for under £55, see:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photos...474703-0686129
As Elements 6 has now been replaced, you can probably get that for a few quid less. The differences between them really aren't that great.

The great benefit of Photoshop over other programs like the free one you mention in your other thread is that there are gazillions of online tutorials for Photoshop, in whatever flavour you buy it, magazines and books will invariably teach how to do things from a Photoshop perspective. For learning resources, it cannot be beaten.

If you want to go beyond Elements, you can pick up CS2 for about £125 now if you shop around, but as you seem to be just starting out, I can't really see that this is worthwhile. CS3 and CS4 are hugely more expensive as no doubt you've found out.

Duncan
Old 28-01-09, 13:41

As you mention, Photoshop CS4 is beyond my reach anyway, I had looked at Elements 7 online at the Adobe website but wasn't sure of it's capabilities.

I'll be honest, I'm green-red colourblind so I wont be playing about with colour correction a great deal anyway so CS is probably a tool I can't take full advantage of, I will check out Elements though, as you say tutorials are commonplace.
Old 28-01-09, 18:37

Elements 7 will serve you well, but you could try downloading The Gimp (you'll have to google it). It's free and, some will argue, as good as Elements. Interface not as friendly as Elements, but, for the price, who can complain? Definitely worth a try.
Old 28-01-09, 20:40

I use Elements 6 and must say that it is an excellent programme. If you use 'save for web' it strips out the Exif data but not if you save any other way. Always save a copy not the original. I looked at an earlier version of the Gimp many years ago but found it confusing but then I knew even less than I do now.