WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

New BBC 4 tv series

Old 02-11-07, 17:12

So... what did we all make of programme 2?
Old 09-11-07, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes View Post
So... what did we all make of programme 2?

Programme 2 did not do that much for me, but programme 3, different story.

There were quite a number of war images. In the case of Tony Voccaro it showed the skill and bravery required to record some pretty guesome scenes. I was really struck by Joel Meyerowitz's images of the aftermath of the World Trade Centre. Images by W Eugene Smith have really set me a challenge of finding my way to getting a method of achieving the best from B & W conversion. Seriously impressed by the printing.

I cannot record these programmes as I do not have the technology so I will watch the repeat.

Don
Old 09-11-07, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Programme 2 did not do that much for me, but programme 3, different story.

There were quite a number of war images. In the case of Tony Voccaro it showed the skill and bravery required to record some pretty guesome scenes. I was really struck by Joel Meyerowitz's images of the aftermath of the World Trade Centre. Images by W Eugene Smith have really set me a challenge of finding my way to getting a method of achieving the best from B & W conversion. Seriously impressed by the printing.

I cannot record these programmes as I do not have the technology so I will watch the repeat.

Don
Agree with Don on this. Programme 2 was a bit of a let down from the first week. Last nights was far more attention grabbing for me. Particularly impressed by Tony Voccaro's tales of developing film on a moonless night in a series of tin helmets. It was a real shame that the films in question were destryed by the military censor, they would no doubt have been valuable historical records now, though it is difficult to judge the standards and values of one period of history against another.

Duncan
Old 09-11-07, 16:32

Agree with both Don and yelvertoft. It was also interesting that people were being stopped from photographing 'ground zero'. Censors rule ok now as then!
Old 09-11-07, 18:12

Arrhhh guys, I missed programme 3

Sounds as though it was interesting.
Old 09-11-07, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes View Post
Arrhhh guys, I missed programme 3

Sounds as though it was interesting.

It's repeated on Monday evening at 8:00pm on BBC4

Hearing about Tony Voccaro's tales certainly puts my puny photographic efforts into some sort of perspective!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 10-11-07, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
It was also interesting that people were being stopped from photographing 'ground zero'. Censors rule ok now as then!
Did anybody else think this was was more that a little ironic? In his comments on the "War on Terror", George W stresses how the perpetrators of 9/11 'want to destroy our liberty and our freedom', or similar words along those lines.
Old 16-11-07, 21:28

Last night's programme was very good, I thought. Mainly American photographers featured, but the subject was probably better to suited to the other side of the pond than here in the UK - though some of the beach shots taken here were good.

The programme was sandwiched between two other photo programmes, both good, making it an excellent evening for snappers to tune in to! Lots of thought-provoking ideas.

The first series of programmes on the archives of Albert Kahn, originally shown on BBC4 has also started a re-run this evening - well worth watching (if you missed it tonight, there are four more programmes to follow).

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 17-11-07, 16:56

The type of photography covered this week is not my cup of tea but I loved the photos by James Ravillious in the programme that followed.
Old 17-11-07, 18:09

Same boat as you Mike. So far its two out of four for me.

Don