WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

advice sought on flight pics

Old 10-07-06, 17:54
Chris

Default advice sought on flight pics

Being of an excitable temperment, I posted
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...500&ppuser=780
which Ollie commented, probably rightly, that it was too far away to be worth taking. Obviously with the quality of plane pics posted by Ollie and Stephen Fox, I am prepared for a general comment 'if you don't have the right equipment and dedication to go to displays, leave off this subject', but would appreciate some guidelines if possible
1: Ollie started with what I had sussed too late, ie spot focus, whereas mine is usually set to central area focus
2: maximum exposure time to 'stop the props'?...looks like 1/640 or 1/800 from another shot I had of same copter with better detail, but only boring grey sky behind
3: if you can't get that speed don't try?
4: minimum lense spec?
5: Duncan gave a guideline of proportion of frame for bird pics, is there one for plane pics
6.....Nn what else?

Is there a place for technically sub-standard shots if they capture some sort of 1 off event of interest, as I would say is the case in other categories??

Old 10-08-06, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal
Being of an excitable temperment, I posted
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...500&ppuser=780
Quote:
Which Ollie commented, probably rightly, that it was too far away to be worth taking.
It really depends on what you were trying to achieve, my first comment is that obviously the subject is out of focus, which would have improved the shot. For me the point of the shot is to show the helicopter hovering within the trees, this could have been enhanced by cropping in.

Quote:
Obviously with the quality of plane pics posted by Ollie and Stephen Fox
Ollie himself has a lot to learn, and his comment concerning the distance from the camera of the subject is one he hasn’t learnt himself.

Quote:
I am prepared for a general comment 'if you don't have the right equipment and dedication to go to displays, leave off this subject', but would appreciate some guidelines if possible
Quote:
1: Ollie started with what I had sussed too late, ie spot focus, whereas mine is usually set to central area focus
I would say Ollie is slightly wrong, I've used evaluative focusing to great success on aviation shots, however I would say that at higher subject speeds the chances of success diminishes somewhat, and spot focusing is probably better. Another issue is whether your camera has a servo or ai servo facility which tracks a moving subject and keeps it in focus. The upper end Canon DSLR’s certainly have this facility.

Quote:
2: maximum exposure time to 'stop the props'?...looks like 1/640 or 1/800 from another shot I had of same copter with better detail, but only boring grey sky behind
Why would you want to stop the props, it gives a totally unreal look to the shot, not many aircraft fly with frozen props !!! Obviously the slower the speed the more movement you’ll get, 1/400 downwards is the norm, recently I’ve been shooting at 1/45 and 1/90 with varying results, some of which are featured on this forum. Panning with the subject also helps. This can also be influenced by the focal length of the lens being used, as can the weight of the equipment. It’s much harder to hand hold a large professional camera with big lens, rule of thumb (but not always) is that the shutter speed should match the focal length of the lens i.e if shooting at 400mm 1/350 -1/500, however lower speeds can be achieved with some practice, especially if panning.

Quote:
3: if you can't get that speed don't try?
Experiment and practice, it’s the beauty of digital that it costs nothing. My main interest is historic aviation, but because of my location I don’t get to that many airshows, so to practice I spend a morning or afternoon at the airport photographing anything that moves to get some practice in. Not very interesting but it’s better than nothing

Quote:
4: minimum lense spec?
Again depends on location, I was advised that minimum spec for Flying Legend at Duxford was 300 - 400mm however I spent the afternoon using a 70-200 F2.8 with good results and a totally different perspective. The 70-200 also meant I was able stop down the shutter speeds 1/45 - 1/90 compared to those using the larger lenses. As an average I would say 200mm is the minimum but don’t expect to see the pilots tonsils, 400mm is ideal.

Quote:
5: Duncan gave a guideline of proportion of frame for bird pics, is there one for plane pics
Try to fill the view finder/frame with as much of the subject as possible, there is no point having 95% blue sky and 5% aircraft. Look at some of the aviation shots on this forum as a guide, Wheeler’s especially, which are generally superb.

Quote:
6.....Nn what else?
Practice makes perfect.

Quote:
Is there a place for technically sub-standard shots if they capture some sort of 1 off event of interest, as I would say is the case in other categories??
I would say that it would depend on the event. There is a particular forum that has many substandard shots posted to it, but I would probably be banned for taking the Michael if I were to post a link.
Old 12-08-06, 10:17
Chris

Thank you for informative reply; will digest and take note
Old 22-08-06, 03:03

En830 does make some good points there. For me as i do not have a lock on my control pad on my d50 my major focusing problem is when i knock the direction button and move my focus point off center.
Old 22-08-06, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes
En830 does make some good points there. For me as i do not have a lock on my control pad on my d50 my major focusing problem is when i knock the direction button and move my focus point off center.
Have you tried reading the manual ? By all accounts the Nikon D50 has the ability to Lock Focus by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button.
Old 22-08-06, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by en830
It’s much harder to hand hold a large professional camera with big lens, rule of thumb (but not always) is that the shutter speed should match the focal length of the lens i.e if shooting at 400mm 1/350 -1/500, however lower speeds can be achieved with some practice, especially if panning.
That was true with film, but for APS sensors the rule of thumb becomes:

T > 1/(1.5*FL).

where T is the exposure and FL is the lens focal length.

Leif
Old 22-08-06, 19:25

Quote:
Have you tried reading the manual ? By all accounts the Nikon D50 has the ability to Lock Focus by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button.
I may try that at the next show.
Old 22-08-06, 22:28

Quote:
I may try that at the next show.
But you'll want AI servo (or the Nikon equivalent) not focus lock if shooting moving objects !!!!!
Old 22-08-06, 22:46

Quote:
But you'll want AI servo (or the Nikon equivalent) not focus lock if shooting moving objects !!!!!
Thats what i thought, you had confused me when you mentioned focus lock.
Old 22-08-06, 22:52

Quote:
Thats what i thought, you had confused me when you mentioned focus lock.
No, you mentioned it in an earlier post.

Quote: