WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

New BBC 4 tv series

Old 29-11-07, 11:52

I have just checked and tonights prog should be of wider interest :

Episode 6 - How being a photographer has changed over the years and the impact of the digital post-production techniques.

Don
Old 29-11-07, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
I have just checked and tonights prog should be of wider interest :

Episode 6 - How being a photographer has changed over the years and the impact of the digital post-production techniques.

Don
Thanks for the heads-up Don. I have missed one or two from the series through being busy or too tired to remember. Oh and fighting with her who holds the TV remote

I think this final programme will be right up my street, as I am clutching the remote claiming it to me mine this evening!!

Starts at 21:00 (33 minutes time)
Old 08-12-07, 16:46

I know it was last week but what did we all think of the series as a whole?
Old 08-12-07, 23:10

I did enjoy it...BUT....i am gulity of fast forwarding through a few parts...Generally quite good, but did get a little irritating at times.
What I feel was missing, particularly in the later episodes is the referencing of the photographer who makes a daily living today. which might have linked up nicely with the referencing of the 'old masters'/early pioneers and people who made a living out of it back then. the series started out nicely but I feel lost it's way.
It's a bit of an old cliche to link photography and art.
To me, as in the title of the series "genius of photography" is a much to do with the images all around us as it is to do with the photographs selling at sotherbys. The last episode touched on this, by telling us it has never been more accessable with the new digital age, but I don't feel enough was made of this. What of the new 'digital' masters, for example? How has editorial and advertising changed with the genius, for example?
Maybe I missed it, but I feel much of the photo style and photographer referencing got stuck somewhere in the 50's, then again in the mid '80s?
However, for me a highlight was Martin Parr's involvement.

On the whole, not a bad series ....I was just a little dissapointed it could've been rounded off and summarised a little better.

......maybe could've done with a 12 part series! lol
Old 08-12-07, 23:19

Thanks for that Joe,

I feel it wasn't inclusive enough bordering on highbrow. I really enjoyed the first show and looked forward to others but it wasn't practical and never engaged me afterward. We were all inspired my the camera obscura but were we inspired by the other shows? Perhaps it was too biased to art when I was looking for science.
Old 09-12-07, 09:13

I think it was a first class series. With a title including the word 'Genius' in it, it was always going to concentrate on the more artistic side of things or on the 'names' from the past who have stood the test of time. Whether some of the more modern stuff will still be remembered in years to come remains to be seen, but that's probably true of most art forms.

It didn't get bogged down in all the technicalities of photograhpy. Programmes that I've seen before, over the years, always seem to spend more time on explaining shutter speeds, apertures, loading your film into the developing tank, etc., which is fine for the beginner but you wouldn't expect a programme on literature, say, to concentrate on choosing the best pen and paper or how to spell different words.

This series has avoided all that and shown how those who've realised the potential of photography have pushed the boundaries to take it beyond the simple static shots of the first photos.

We've also been treated to a couple of excellent series on the photographs of Albert Kahn ('The Edwardians in Colour' and 'The Twenties in Colour'). Kahn was a wealthy financier (though he eventually lost it all in the 'crash') and he used his money and influence to send photographers all over the world to document the different peoples before their way of life was overtaken by a fast-moving modern society.

I've had a general interest in photography for many years but, I must admit that I'd never heard of Kahn before, so this series has been a revelation to me. Those old Autochromes are quite something and seem to have stood the test of time better than some more modern emulsions.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 13-12-07, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker View Post
We've also been treated to a couple of excellent series on the photographs of Albert Kahn ('The Edwardians in Colour' and 'The Twenties in Colour').

[snip...]

I've had a general interest in photography for many years but, I must admit that I'd never heard of Kahn before, so this series has been a revelation to me. Those old Autochromes are quite something and seem to have stood the test of time better than some more modern emulsions.
Agreed. The 1920s in colour was a brilliant series, though I didn't get to see them all. Though not in colour, I found the footage of cod fishing from open dories using hook and line particularly enthralling, don't know why, I just did.

D.