WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

please respond

Old 23-07-06, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebyron
one more point ... perhaps there should be a further forum thread that in addition of the critique room ... could be a simple one entitled ..... BIN OR KEEP
That's a very good suggestion of yours, and I thank you for starting this interesting thread in the first place - it has generated some good responses . I often make fleeting visits to this forum just to look at certain threads of particular interest at the time, and very often do not look at the pictures. I do appreciate the pictures when I do look, but I have only posted two myself in the gallery (January) that have attracted eleven viewers and no comments each.

Roger
Old 23-07-06, 20:21

Hi everyone and thanks purplebyron for bringing this point out. I completely share your view point.
I am coming here from another site that people go shading blood on critique and actually can't say I am totally against it as I seem to have learned a lot. What made me to leave that site was injustice and disrespect of Admins and managers of the site to participants and members, a thing that you just see the opposite here. Truly I really like the polite dominant atmosphere of WPF, thing is one needs to get aware of all possibilities here and as navigation is a bite difficult here(Please excuse me for bringing this up), one needs to get to know site well first.
I personally truly believe that one can make the worst possible (But right) critiques from a picture, but in way that is acceptable to listener who actually could like the gain in information at the end, when this is compatible with the way critique is express. I personally mostly try to leave 2 section in my comments on "Gallery", the "Pros" and "Cones", or in photographers language, Positives and Negatives. I never take any critics word as if written on stone, instead a reflection of a kind person's view in interaction with a picture. I can only give that advise to you that I am aware off, that could be completely useless to you or very important. You won't be knowing that unless see me, placing those words. I can learn, pass or forget as the condition may mandate, that is it for me.
Though I fully respect the well separation of Critique & Gallery here on WPF, me too, would like to see more comments about my pictures in both sections, and may be combining the 2 could theoretically increase that likelihood, however there is a reason that I am here and not on other photo site, that could well be just this simple separation as I am not sure of that reason but see that it works for me.
It is easy to develop a peer group and members of community that you can interact with easily and feel comfortable with, others then turn into valuable potential bonus.
As for now I am trying to leave less critiques in Gallery, but won't hesitate to express my feeling even though I might be a lot less experience than the person that I leave my notes for. BTW I may admit that, this happens with a grain of salt and I make sure not to repeat if I see the photographer is too sensitive to my words, if so expressed. I am still not sure about those who do not made any comments, (I do try to go back and check response of others on my notes, within the limitations of site). Lets use this opportunity and ask anyone who does not like to see my comments on their pictures and will gladly try not to bother them in future, at the same time I am requesting everyone to interact freely with my pictures. I love to see more comments as every comment is a way of looking at something new that can potentially improve my work.

I Like the "Bin OR Keep" idea too. In fact would love to see option for checking one out of 3 boxes for every picture in Critique forum or Gallery for: 1- Bin or Negative 2- Not sure 3- Keep or Positive. I understand adding the element of "Not sure" could not help photographer but at least it can be considered as a polite NO or a low grade complimentary YES to photographer as they wish to interpret. At least another indication that some one wanted to somehow acknowledge their work.
Even if this forum does not bring any change, I alway like to see people can bring out the words as I firmly believe 2 can think better than One, One can make the decision better than two, combine the two and a better decision is more likely...

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 23-07-06 at 20:28.
Old 25-07-06, 22:15

A bin or keep option could prevent alot of people from posting photo's especially people like myself who are not very confident in their ability and or are new to posting photo's. I just feel it is a little bit harsh, on the other hand I would like to see a rating option say maybe from 1 to 5. 1 being poor and 5 being excellent.

At the end of the day though I find peoples comments the most useful as you can gleen a better understanding of where you may or may not be going wrong and learn so much more than a simple bin or keep.

just my humble opinion and maybe I should just have more confidence in my ability - :-)

Fiona
Old 26-07-06, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by finlaw
A bin or keep option could prevent alot of people from posting photo's especially people like myself who are not very confident in their ability

For a person with such a beautiful name as "Fiona" I think 100% confidence is a must.

Fiona good that you expressed yourself. It gets a lot better to participate in the discussion and critiques the same way. It is not about what your professional level in photography that count, its only that simple gut feeling and general perception of a photograph that mater to most reasonable photographers hoping to receive a critique, for everyone else, who cares…

I suggest, to exclude and element the concert of participation, the “Bin, Not sure or Keep” could be kept as an option that if poster, check the box, gets it otherwise you may (But Fiona should not) leave it unchecked.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 26-07-06 at 04:25.
Old 26-07-06, 07:48

I think that a problem with a voting system is that friends will vote for each other, skewing the results, and potentially putting off newcomers who are not in cliques. And of course having a picture that gets "null points" from many people is not very nice either. For my own part I like seeing pictures in a less competitive forum.
Old 26-07-06, 19:38

Flattery will get you everywhere Sassan and I like your idea of being able to choose whether or not you want your picture voted on. That way people aren't discouraged from posting but those who like more competetive edge get it.

Taking the idea further what about the photo with the highest rating (if more than 1 with the same, base it on the number of positive votes) and make it photo of the day or week?

Fiona
Old 26-07-06, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebyron
this site to me is a place where i try out new ideas and really want opinions on what i place on view, i dont mind and welcome harsh critique. I wish people hung about more and ventured deep into the forums where things could be discussed in depth ... this site is brilliant, the opportunities are enormous, it just seems very ephemeral and transitory ... anonymous people placing anonymous pictures.
Hi purplebyron

In the short life of this site similar views have been represented before and I am sure they will be again but as I believe the site aims to be many things to many people I see plenty of opportunity for serious critique just as there is space for the "nice shot" type comment.

However my main reason for posting is that I am intrigued. I'm pretty new to photography and at present learn a lot from what people say about their own images. So, given that you want comment why do you tell us so little about your pictures. Having looked at all 4 you put in today's gallery there is no exif data, no mention of equipment, no comment on circumstance or why you think it worth posting; not even a title. Again that is entirely your perrogative - but I find it slightly at odds with this thread ??
Old 27-07-06, 05:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel G
Hi purplebyron

In the short life of this site similar views have been represented before and I am sure they will be again but as I believe the site aims to be many things to many people I see plenty of opportunity for serious critique just as there is space for the "nice shot" type comment.

However my main reason for posting is that I am intrigued. I'm pretty new to photography and at present learn a lot from what people say about their own images. So, given that you want comment why do you tell us so little about your pictures. Having looked at all 4 you put in today's gallery there is no exif data, no mention of equipment, no comment on circumstance or why you think it worth posting; not even a title. Again that is entirely your perrogative - but I find it slightly at odds with this thread ??
Yes Nigel-i agree with you.
I know zero about photography-but that doesnt stop me from liking the pictures.I am sure for all (for me at least)-i would see a picture and say wow
but dont forget i am down this side of the world-For me
A.The place the picture was taken is a must.
B.what time the picture was taken(i no nothing about shutter speed.focusing level etc) for in my mind it tells me was it evening-for then my mind comparse the picture with what i may have seen-thus telling me how close it was to what i saw.(is it beautiful or not)
C.-what the picture taker was feeling when he took the shot -joy sorrow or simply focused on the picture or was it his first try or more.
whic in turn enhances the value of the picture to me in my mind
D.Title of the picture-not just Mb1324- but what the photographer has called it-for then seeing his title in my mind again will improve in its likiing for the shot.(dont forget emosions of the picter taker to the picture he took is also going to influance my mind to say it excellent ,beautiful or just plain.
D.Last not the least-what state my mind was when i saw the picture-was it sad,happy,tired.or simply going through the motions of seeing the pictures uploaded in this web site.
Please dont blame the web but blame ourselfs for lack of what i will say is uploading pictures flooting in space(web space) without any of the things i feel are importent for me to view and comment on the picture-i know i am a nobody in photography-but i am human and being human i like to watch photograph taken by all of you-for it takes me where you"ll are when you take the shot but just having a no. Mgn-2415-it leaves me lost for my mind askes the questions that i wrote above and i dont have the answers so feeling let down i leave and try to see a nother picture which may have all that i wrote above.
I am sorry if i have hurt any bodys feeling-i know nuts about photography and want to learn but seing some of the pictures it leaves me frustrated and incomplate-i hope you understand.I am a healer -i heal people but come to (web)you'LL to be healed(relaxtion of the mind) by watching your pictures,places ,animals-but am left half healed.You'LL take so much time and trouble to take shot but but just a few minutes of your time to say about the picture is missing-I love all of your pics-but for me who has no knowldge of photography must depend on my sences-sight to like a picture and details written about it.
I hope if you'll the mods think i shouldnt have written this and decide that i should leave please inform me-i know most of you"ll will say who is he say all this.I am sorry again but I always do speak my mind come what may.Redgars to all.
Old 27-07-06, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel G
Hi purplebyron

The answer is a very simple one:
i want the image to be judged purely on its own merits ... to start putting titles, information, f stops and location on top is to detract from the most important thing to me which is the image itself. This seems absolutely appropriate.
If a picture or knowing its location is that important, i would be happy to tell someone where it was.
I dont see how this has anything to do with criticsm. opinions, beauty, bin or keep scenarios.
I will, if absolutely vital include as much info as people want ... but it is against what i believe is the important thing here, the image itself.
I do realise that there is a lot of people who view these pics from other places in the world, that are intrigued by where they are, i to sometimes like to know about exotic places, but i dont know how to resolve such matters.
Dr Singh, above gives a great example of your case and i feel bad about the lack of info to people as far away as himself, but this is a photography site, not a sight- seeing bus.
i have already tried to give an idea that would fit Dr singh's wishes more appropriately by the setting up of some kind of diary forum, this could include photographs and a long description of all the things and more that he would find interesting.
To conclude:
1) i find title and information detracts from the important issue to me of the image being judged on its own merit.
2) i am not an entymologist, i often don't know what i am taking a picture of half the time, i am in the dark as much as the viewer.
3) i am still dispondant about the amount of views to comment ratios that seem apparant in this room .. a comment about how someone spent a lovely childhood holiday at a location of where i took a picture of a dragonfly would be of no merit.
4) the technical info,or the lack of, however is a justified and important criticsm that i do believe is me being complacent and lazy and it might be of invaluable use to a fellow photographer, so i apologize on this.
5) to be really honest ... the location issue is a sensitive one ... i have been to many places where i have seen a large amount of people enjoying the sunshine ... personally when i find a secluded place with no-one around just me and my camera and nature i get an enormous amount of pleasure ... i wish to keep it like that ... i know its selfish ... but i have seen so many horrible things in areas of beauty spoilt by people, their dogs etc
6) finally .. photography is always about a decisive moment, one of luck, chance etc etc its hard to perfectly describe information like that.
7) at the moment i am trying hard to look in some cases at patterns within nature ... to provide information would diminish the abstract nature of the form within the image

p.s
like i have said before i would be glad to divulge any information if asked ... it is obvious to me that the room is split into two areas ...one being people interested in the image and process, the other- the room is frequented by people who wish to holiday with their eyes.

Last edited by purplebyron; 27-07-06 at 13:12.
Old 27-07-06, 12:54

We are somewhat back to what makes a good photo - technical merit, that certain 'wow' factor when something is original/stunning or just a moment captured which might be funny,sad or just interesting. So the pictures in the gallery are there for all sorts of reasons. If you post something you'd like a critique on or some help with perhaps we could have a code - add 'crit' or 'help' to the title and ask away in the description box. I agree that I like to see as much info as possible - I like to see what different camera/lens combinations can do etc. just for reference. I'm not bothered if people want to pull holes in my pictures as i'm just a happy snapper, but i think it's wise to read what you're about to post and make sure things are written in a tactful way. After all this is meant to be a hobby for most of us! Comments? It's really just a way of telling the owner of the photo that you've looked at it and like it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/