WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

More new toys

Old 01-07-08, 09:02

Default More new toys

I see the latest from Nikon is announced - D700.

DPR link http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08...0previewed.asp

More for your kit bag Andy ?

Don
Old 01-07-08, 09:15

Looks a cracking piece of kit, a bit pricey though.
Old 01-07-08, 17:02

So, when are you buying this Don??

Let me tell you, there no end to this....
Old 01-07-08, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
So, when are you buying this Don??
Count me out Rudra. My current camera will be in use for years.

Local camera dealer tried to get me to buy a D3. Obviously needs the sales, but the only real plus point he could give me for what I do is that for example a 28mm lens is a 28mm lens and not 42mm. In A/F I start at 12mm (DX) and end at 180mm. Thoughts that my 180mm would only be 180mm put me off.

Full frame just toooooo expensive when you start adding new lenses.

Somewhere I did put up a thread some time ago asking for general experience comments Full Frame v 1.5/1.6 crop but there were no takers. I know you are full frame and the quality of your images is stunning, but I do not know if similar could not be achieved on smaller sensor cameras.

Still waiting for a serious comparison between a D2X and a D3 at ISO100 - 200 which is my normal.

For anyone reading this I do realise the implications of pixel size on low light abilities ( Foxys Hs never ceases to amaze in that respect ) but I never go over ISO400 so do not feel I am loosing out.

Am I ???????

Don
Old 02-07-08, 02:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Count me out Rudra. My current camera will be in use for years.
That’s what I meant Don. That’s why I said there’s no end to it.
Quote:
Thoughts that my 180mm would only be 180mm put me off.
That’s a thought indeed.
Quote:
Full frame just toooooo expensive when you start adding new lenses.
That didn’t happen in my case. I came straight from 24 X 36 film to full frame digital. All my lenses are the same.
Quote:
but I do not know if similar could not be achieved on smaller sensor cameras.
Of course it can be. There are plenty of examples here in this forum only.
Quote:
Still waiting for a serious comparison between a D2X and a D3 at ISO100 - 200 which is my normal.
I’m also waiting to see the difference between 12 bit and 14 bit colour processing from 1Ds Mark II and 1Ds Mark III.
Quote:
For anyone reading this I do realise the implications of pixel size on low light abilities ( Foxys Hs never ceases to amaze in that respect ) but I never go over ISO400 so do not feel I am loosing out.
Well, at times I had tried ISO1600 in low stage lighting for Anitha’s dance. Must say, I’m really happy with the results.

The shot below (you’ve seen this before) was taken with ISO1250.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...00&ppuser=3028
Old 02-07-08, 08:13

" more for your kit bag Andy ?"

No thanks Don - giving the D700 a miss - must say I like two things about it - the battery pack MB-D10 works with it and the D300 - and it has sensor cleaning built in. Now lets see what the D3X brings.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 02-07-08, 09:01

Rudra,
You do all these multi quotes that I never get right. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Well your pic does show the advantage that large pixels give in low light. This is why I mentioned Foxy's Hs. That is a crop sensor but only 4mp, so large pixels.

12 bit and 14 bit processing, perhaps Andy or Derekb can give their take on it from a Nikon perspective. I remember Foxy and I looking at the differences between compressed and uncompressed NEFs. ( Nikon term for the RAW file ) Uncompressed from a D2X these weigh in at 21mb each but compressed only 10mb. If I remember the uncompressed retained a smidge more in the white end so of interest to wedding photogs but not for me. 12 bit v 14 bit may be similar but I have not taken time to read up on it. Not sure of who has a 1Ds Mark III to beg a similar comment from.

Andy,
D3X if 24mp or greater brings other issues to the table. A bit like the move up from 35mm to M/F in the old days. Provided you have quality glass then the file will have the ability to record even finer detail. Print to the size of a house.

The downside if you want to show off your pic online is that the compression required will do the image no favours. Take a pic of a detailed subject with your D2X and top glass ( sorry not the 18-200mm ) and process and post here. Do a crop of about 1/2 the scene and post at the same image size and you will see what I mean. I have D2X images that cannot be posted as they look rubbish with the levels of compression required. Perhaps processing guru's will add a comment to that. ( I don't mind if you say I'm talking rubbish - honestly. )

Don
Old 02-07-08, 09:19

I know what you mean Don - a lot of what I post here is only OK compared with the real thing - the compression is some thing I've never mastered. I will post something from an 80-200 f2.8 on the D2X and D3 and crop - should be interesting.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 03-07-08, 09:46

Money no object, then this is the latest toy to be released - around UK £20,000
http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=802195

Don
Old 03-07-08, 11:15

Interesting thought having been blown away by Rudras latest JBL speaker shot. Rudra used a 1Ds Mk2 which is full frame 16mp.
I find the fine pixel pitch of the D2X right for the type of studio and other subjects I do, but in this case if I did the JBL shot even with the same light setup, it would look different.

Rudras pic has a smoothness of tone that I am not sure I would quite match unless I used an Hs or D3.

My decision on the X was based on what I do, but I wonder how many looking at new kit place this aspect high up the list.

Don