WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Do we really want HD movie mode

Old 24-09-08, 06:16

Have a look at the frame grabs (just one of the the terms that us videographers use) on Vincent Laforet's blog - I'd like to be able to take images like that with a 'still'.
Old 26-10-08, 11:44

I could not handle video when I was given a Sony Hi8 as part of a promotion years ago when I got a laptop. Only ever used it for my first ever digital stills and then gave it away to my nephew.
I would rather work on a complex lighting set up for a single still image than work out a few minutes of movie sequence that would hang together.

People obviously think this is the up and comming thing though. Link to Redrock site and their imminent release of pretty fancy DSLR video accessories. Check the thumbnails.
http://www.redrockmicro.com/redrock_dslr.html

Don
Old 26-10-08, 23:37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekb View Post
If you REALLY want to see what this camera can do, then watch this video...

Here

Stunning does not quite tell the tale!
That clip doesn't seam to be available any more but try Here

And I think This is the same video as in the original link

Last edited by Gidders; 26-10-08 at 23:39.
Old 27-10-08, 00:16

On average a normal HD video camera cost you about 2.5 to 3 thousand dollars. Lens could be addition.
Now just think of buying a top of the notch still DSLR camera at same price, that gives you that 1080P resolution. Story doesn't even end here. Think of being able to use your own existing all focal length lenses, say from fish eye to long tele that too with "L" class quality glass that is one the reasons for many to switch to Canon line of photography products on this video system... Well now all are here and it is new 5D ii. Well it takes some 12 to 15 minutes shoots at a time but then that is probably more than enought if you are geting an assisted camera for the coverage and adding extra scene to final coverage. On top of that, for example a photographer covering a weding doesn't have to loss that especial movement that either still or video cam are needed but just to turn the knob. Now I am to see if any pro makes a full video coverage of a function just by this 5Dii. Near future will tell us.

I think idea is good and should work as a big plus especially that you don't have to pay any extra to get this body when compare to the old 5D. In other world, top quality HD recording is a free bonus wheather you want it or not and No it doesn't add any weight to the camera.

Can't think how this could be useful for myself, being able to see one of my youth age idols, "Demis Roussos" in concert, on Thursday night, when he was perfermoring at Shrine auditorium in LA to support and help fundrising for Diabetis. Well I had my cell phone and did take both still and video shoots but I have to cry when seeing the result now

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 27-10-08 at 07:47.
Old 27-10-08, 05:47

I've been having more thoughts on video mode. Bird watching is another hobby of mine. As a photographer, I like to get still photos of birds, but as a bird watcher, I would love to get videos of the bird as well. I'd imagine that that there are a lot of photographers with a second hobby who would also like video mode.