WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Nikon or Pentax

Old 15-06-07, 12:32

Default Nikon or Pentax

Good afternoon

I am toying with the idea of getting a DSLR (with hopes of attaching it to my Opticron [i]Imagic[i] field scope).

The Pentax K100D has been suggested as a good match; but I have recently read a review of the Nikon D40 and wonder if anyone can offer advice as to which may be best?

I have one eye-piece which came with the scope; but also purchased a HR2 zoom, which is the mainly used one.
Old 15-06-07, 21:42

After a bit of a search I have not found details for the scope you mention. Of those pages I have looked at Opticron do not appear to have an adaptor to attach an DSLR to the scope.

I have not tried to digiscope with a hand held DSLR so cannot comment on the difficulties of attaining focus, or what focal length to lens to use. As there are mounts available for a range of compact cameras to attatch to various scopes then the question is ' Why a DSLR ' as opposed to a compact.

A question for digiscopers is what performance can be expected from digiscoping through a ( 18-55 ) zoom eyepiece.

Details of the scope and the eyepiece that came with it may be helpful.

I am sure you would get better results using a DSLR and zoom lens xx - 300mm. Also a lot easier in use.

Don
Old 15-06-07, 22:54

I have an opticron scope and opticron make all the necessary adapters to connect any DSLR to any of their scopes. Mine is the 66ED which with the connector gives a 1100mm focal length in 35mm terms so dial in the 1.6 conversion for my 20D gives 1760mm equivalent. The set up gives you automatic exposure (ie fixed aperture but exposure controlled by auto shutter speed) but manual focus of course. The main downside is the aperture is about f14 so have to use high ISO. Tripod and cable release essential!
Old 16-06-07, 10:48

I have found this link to DSLR adaptors for Opiticon scopes. http://opticron.boson.posiweb.net/PDF/PG46-47.pdf

In view of the camera mount being a ' T Mount ' I am not sure it will work with the D40. The D40 only takes AFS lenses with no M/F switch on the body. This may well result in an ' Err ' message as the camera will assume no lens is mounted.

Don
Old 16-06-07, 13:13

I wouldn't like to say which model is more suited for digiscoping, I've only ever digiscoped with a Sony W5 compact. It looks like Don's research has found a potential fly in the ointment for the D40, but he raises some very valid points regarding the expected quality of the results.

If you do decide to go Pentax, then these people do the K100D cheap:
http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPro...SUBCAT_CODE=51
They did have some refurbished ones with manufacturer's guarantee for £249, which is a bit of a bargain by anyone's standard.

Having digiscoped with both a cheap (non-ED glass) 'scope, and a better quality item (Kowa 663), I would say that it's well, well worth getting a better scope. Your "keeper" rate will be miniscule with a non-ED glass scope, regardless of the camera you hang on the back of it.

Hope this helps.

Duncan
Old 16-06-07, 18:55

I have not taken many shots with my Opticron HR 66ED and 41110 Telephoto adapter but I must say the results are very good to my eye. The problems are carrying that lot around, finding the bird and then camera shake in a hide with people moving and subject movement. It appears I am getting 1600mm at f15 as the Canon factor is 1.6. I have no idea about suitability of Nikon 40 or the Pentax.
Old 16-06-07, 20:37

For my money, and if I had to choose between the two, with main use being to fit to any high magnification lens set up, there would only be one choice..
The Pentax K100D.
Slight downside is it's use of AA batteries...and it does come with some rather cr@ppy alkalines. I thoroughly recommend the use of two rechargeable CRV3 batteries to overcome this.
However, MAJOR upside is that it has a body intergrated anti-shake feature. Yes, it isn't the best form of image stabilisation in the world. BUT, it's better than having none at all ( as with the Nikon D40).....an important feature with your application I feel.

Remember also, if you want to extend your lens range at a later stage, the Nikon D40 uses only AF-S lenses (if you want autofocus).....which, quite frankly is a pain in the butt, as most Nikon lenses to date (other than expensive VR galss) are AF only....as are all the independants e.g Sigma and Tamron
By contrast, there's loads of lens options available for the Pentax, which will retain autofocus and metering etc.

Last edited by Joe; 16-06-07 at 20:47.
Old 16-06-07, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
For my money, and if I had to choose between the two, with main use being to fit to any high magnification lens set up, there would only be one choice..
The Pentax K100D.
Slight downside is it's use of AA batteries...and it does come with some rather cr@ppy alkalines. I thoroughly recommend the use of two rechargeable CRV3 batteries to overcome this.
When I was using the *istDS, now used by Debbi (Mrs Y), I used CR-V3 single use batteries. I got on average, about 1900 shots out of a set of these. If you wait until 7-day shop have them on special offer (quite often), you can buy them in bulk and they are quite cheap. Never tried the rechargeable versions as I got fed up with the self-discharge characteristics of Ni-MH technology.

Single use CR-V3s are ready when you need them, give faster AF than Ni-MHs, and lasted me typically about 6 months. It's a good overall compromise. I'd say Joe's analysis of "slight downside" is accurate.

In-body anti-shake typically gives a 2 stop advantage I'd say from my experience of the K10D.