WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photography Books & Magazines

Photography Books & Magazines Read any? Can you recommend any? Dislike any? This is the place to let us know!

Books for Beginners - what would you recommend?

Old 02-12-12, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
I would recommend books by John Shaw. They are getting a bit outdated as far as the equipment is concerned, given that they were written in the pre-digital age, but the basics of exposure, aperture, composition, and so on are as well described as anywhere. Leif
I agree; he is one of the best writers on landscape and natural history that we have seen in many years.
GHK
Old 15-04-16, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmeduke View Post
I have always found 'The Photographer's Eye - Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos' by Michael Freeman a real help. It's great on the things that make a strong photo but can't normally be summed up in a quick lesson. It got me thinking about the principles of effective photos and helped me to take less 'almost' shots! I definitely recommend it!
I would +1 with a !! this one. There are two versions, this one and the Graphical Guide. They approach the same compositional material from different perspectives, I have and recommend both.
Old 23-05-16, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baycat View Post
As a begginer myself I can highly reccommend 'The Art Of Photographing Nature' by Martha Hill and Art Wolfe. As the title suggests, this non-technical book deals with the art of producing great wildlife photos and discusses such things as isolating the subject, composition, colour, dof, reading the light.... The book uses side by side comparison of similar photographs to discuss why one photo is superior to the other. This book is a pleasure to read and is packed full of Art Wolfes' beautiful photographs.
Couldn't agree more Amazing book!