WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photography Books & Magazines

Photography Books & Magazines Read any? Can you recommend any? Dislike any? This is the place to let us know!

Magazine sample photo's

Old 10-03-06, 11:28
Super Moderator

Default Magazine sample photo's

In most of the digital magazine they come with tutorials and photo's to use for the tutorials. Does anyone know whether I could use these photo's in the manipulations thread and not be breaking any laws.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 10-03-06, 13:47

Exclamation

Hi Christine,
Unfortunately I think you will find that all images that come as part of such publications will be copyrighted in one form or another. If it is a ‘Group’ (as in publication house) copyright they will own it themselves.
Most readers images which are submitted will also be subject to magazine copyright for a (usually) defined period, after which the copyright will then resort back to the original owner.
The most likely scenario is that the images have been purchased from an image library for the sole purpose of samples for use on the cd, as such there may be a limited copyright which the magazine acquires for the purpose of the publication, but essentially the copyright will remain with either the library or the person who submitted the original to them.

The chances of any published images being copyright free is fairly small.

It may be better to find some image libraries who permit free personal use as this would not be contravened by the image manipulation thread – provided of course that results are not entered into competitions or sold. If there is a worry over actually posting a ‘free for personal use’ image, then you could simply post a link to the image.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-03-06, 14:02
Super Moderator

Thanks for clearing that up Steve, I thought it was better to ask rather than jump in and use the photo's. I did buy 150,000 clipart on 14 cd's about 10 years ago which has lots of photo's they are quite crude and not brilliant images. I should be able to use them they are for general use. If not I will have to try and take my own photo's for the thread.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 10-03-06, 14:41

Default New Gallery?

How about asking for a gallery specifically for images to be used in the image manipulation thread?

There are no doubt plenty of people in the same position as myself, in that they have a lot of images which they would not normally post (bland, uninteresting, poor composition etc.), which would probably be exactly what is required for the purpose of composition?

By having a separate gallery it would prevent the thread from being congested with people offering sample images as well as posting finished articles which may be lost.
Old 10-03-06, 14:58
Super Moderator

That could be a good idea, I did start to load extra photo's into the first thread, but as the pages increased no-one went back to the first one so didn't bother anymore. I will ask if its possible.

Old 10-04-06, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
In most of the digital magazine they come with tutorials and photo's to use for the tutorials. Does anyone know whether I could use these photo's in the manipulations thread and not be breaking any laws.
The photos that magazines use to illustrate 'how to' articles are most likely from a purchased royalty-free image CD. You pay for a CD and get unlimited use of the images. It's much cheaper than paying for each image. You might find it worthwhile buying a couple for the forum if you plan lots of articles. Try any major picture library (such as Corbis).
Old 11-04-06, 18:10
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info jjjj. I will bear them in mind if I decide to go that root.