WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Do you sharpen?

Old 11-07-06, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Ledgerton
Is there a general rule of thumb regarding USM values to use in PaintShopPro and Photoshop?

Roy
It is difficult to be prescriptive about these things, as all files are different. I would say that usually as little as possible is good policy. If you are getting halos along points of high contrast on web images, you know its too much. I rarely go above an amount of 50 and radius of 1. The think is to experiment, and don't let it increase the contrast too much either
Old 11-07-06, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Ledgerton
Is there a general rule of thumb regarding USM values to use in PaintShopPro and Photoshop?

Roy
I have a book on Elements 3 which suggests as an "all purpose setting" Amount 85%, Radius1 Threshold 4. For soft subjects (flowers, puppies,people etc) Amount 150%, Radius 1, Threshold 10. Portraits (head and shoulders) Amount 75%, Radius 2, Threshold 3. Moderate sharpening (product shots, landscapes) Amount 225%, Radius 0.5, Threshold 0. Maximum sharpening for slightly fuzzy photos Amount 65%, Radius 4, Threshold 3.
I have only used the all purpose and it seems to work well as just that.
Old 11-07-06, 22:32

It seems that my approach is much the same as Stephens. Generally the amount is kept below 50 with a radius of 1. Keeping an eye on any areas where the local contrast starts to increase dramatically. The threshold I keep between 0 and 5 dependent of noise levels in the image.

Over the years as I've upgraded the quality of the glass the degree of sharping I need to do is much reduced compared to budget glassware shots.

This pretty well falls in-line with Mike's Figures from the book.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 12-07-06, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Now of course for the last couple of years at least I have used Raw soley and in camera sharpening has no effect anyway...
I have just posted a thread about the Picture Style settings in my 1D Mark II N, which I’m trying to understand.

According to page 53 of the manual, the parameter settings (sharpness, contrast, saturation, colour tone) available in the Picture Style options, DO have an effect on RAW images, although I haven’t verified this yet.
Old 12-07-06, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw
I have just posted a thread about the Picture Style settings in my 1D Mark II N, which I’m trying to understand.

According to page 53 of the manual, the parameter settings (sharpness, contrast, saturation, colour tone) available in the Picture Style options, DO have an effect on RAW images, although I haven’t verified this yet.
I have replied to your other thread Paul. Essentially though whilst I accept the POI I would question the need to use these parameter settings if using Raw
Old 13-07-06, 15:08

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I use PS7 USM. If I'm going to use neatimage I use the USM until afterwards.
Old 13-07-06, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyowl
I use PS7 USM. If I'm going to use neatimage I use the USM until afterwards.
Do you find though that this can negate some of the work Neatimage has just done.
Old 16-07-06, 23:42

sometimes .. i use the duplicate layer ... high pass ..hard light about 15% .. opacity slider 20%.. merge down layers as an alternative to usm

Last edited by purplebyron; 16-07-06 at 23:46.
Old 17-07-06, 13:08

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Do you find though that this can negate some of the work Neatimage has just done.
It probably puts a little noise into the pic, but not enough to cause a problem. I find that Neatimage tends to make the picture look phony and flat if Im use it to remove all the noise. I frequenty set Neatimage to remove only half the noise bcause I like the look of the finished product better that way.