WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

What software for processing Raw

Old 08-07-07, 21:10

Attatched is a grahic ( NX 1 ) showing the options available in NX depending on file format.

A series of stitched screen grabs show the options in LCH and Levels ( NX 2 ). I thought I would show this as both of these are quite different and more controllable than in CS.

Too much to go into here but other than Control Points are :

Available options for ALL file types includes - USER SELECTED AREA ADJUSTMENTS - Curves, LCH, Contrast/brightness, Saturation/warmth, Colour balance, Colour booster, Noise reduction, Sharpness and blurr. ........ probably missed something out.

I will post info in the NX thread when I have time.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NX 1.jpg (145.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg NX 2.jpg (87.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-07-07, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal View Post
Just in case other Canon users are looking at this, I find Canon DPP 3 excellent and does, eg, all Clive says Lightroom does; it is 95% intuitive, so may not suit untintuitive types, I suppose Photoshop must actually suit somebody, and I do sometimes finish off in PSE4 to level up or host FocusMagic or NeatImage plug-ins where Layers are useful, about all that is lacking in DPP.
RSE doesn't need intuition: it has sliders that have titles such as 'Exposure Compensation' and 'Shadow Contrast'. Anyone who can read can use RSE straight away. It saves as JPEG and TIFF.
Old 08-07-07, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post

I have no experience of CS3 but I have CS2. Quick check on prices at WHE and CS3 £569 , NX £119.
Just in case someone is interested, I picked up a brand new shrink wrapped copy of PS CS2 for £250 from FleaBay. IMO it is well worth it. It has some advantages such as nice integration with noise reduction tools, a better sharpening algorithm, and so on.

I was really cheesed off that Nikon charged so much to upgrade from NC4 to NX (originally £50) and now you have to pay the full whack. However, it is currently free with some Nikon cameras.
Old 09-07-07, 23:39

Has anyone tried www.rawtherapee.com ? There is a http in the address.Someone posted the link on BF ,I had a quick look at the site.Think it is American,free to download,but donations are accepted.Just wondered if anyone had heard of this prog ,or had tried it?.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 13-07-07, 22:53

Why use inferior tools when Capture NX and Photoshop are available? If cost is the problem then go for Photoshop Elements 5 with the updated RAW file (v4.1). It does all you need and more!

nirofo.
Old 17-07-07, 16:03

Interesting that I seem to be the only Aperture user. I presume that is because I use a Mac. Among its many features, Aperture works with RAW images natively throughout the application. There is no intermediate conversion process and the application uses a nondestructive image-processing engine, which leaves the original image untouched. (I cribbed that off a web-site!) It is a fantastic product that has some very powerful tools.
The highlight/lowlight tool particularly is way-ahead of any other I have tried, including CS3. It can perform excellent B/W conversions and tints as well.
Old 17-07-07, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
Why use inferior tools when Capture NX and Photoshop are available? If cost is the problem then go for Photoshop Elements 5 with the updated RAW file (v4.1). It does all you need and more!

nirofo.
Couldn't agree more.