WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Do you sharpen?

Old 09-06-06, 23:59

Default Do you sharpen?

.....and what method do you use. I think I must have tried most methods but what about you

Last edited by Stephen; 10-06-06 at 00:07.
Old 10-06-06, 01:57

In Photoshop I only use Unsharp Mask. In PaintShopPro I have occasionally used Sharpen with some good results depending on the levels in the photo but generally it is always Image > Mode > Lab> Lighten and then unsharp mask and then back to RGB
Old 10-06-06, 02:06

The fly photo I just posted was sharpened after putting it through Neat Image. But normally I find it just adds noise.
Old 10-06-06, 08:09
Admin

Despite all sorts of sharpening software on my pc, I still end up using Photoshop USM. My prints tend to look the same no matter if it's sharpened with the latest trendy software or good old fashioned USM.

After I downsize for the web, I'll often use smart sharpen in Photoshop.

I may tweak a few bits on an image (catchlight in eye) with the sharpen tool set at around 10-20%

I find I'm using far less sharpening these days compared with a couple of years ago, some shots barely need any at all.
Old 11-06-06, 21:22

I find that digital images are far cleaner than scans and as Andy says simple USM is as good as anything. I suppose if I used ISO 1600 and above, then I would use fancy techniques. There is a good one that uses the find edges filter to generate a mask so that the sharpening acts on the edges, and not on the noise elsewhere.

Leif
Old 11-06-06, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Despite all sorts of sharpening software on my pc, I still end up using Photoshop USM. My prints tend to look the same no matter if it's sharpened with the latest trendy software or good old fashioned USM.

After I downsize for the web, I'll often use smart sharpen in Photoshop.

I may tweak a few bits on an image (catchlight in eye) with the sharpen tool set at around 10-20%

I find I'm using far less sharpening these days compared with a couple of years ago, some shots barely need any at all.
And this is really why I posed the question to begin with. I really do feel that there has rarely been a need for me to use any sharpening recently, maybe even for as much as a year. I remember when I first had the 10D I would sharpen as a matter of course, I just felt those files needed it. I suppose I used jpeg most of the time then and was just beginning to use Raw for important stuff. I always had in camera sharpening set to factory default however so perhaps jpegs needed that extra bit of usmin Photoshop.

Now of course for the last couple of years at least I have used Raw soley and in camera sharpening has no effect anyway, though the default sharpening in CS2 and ACR must I suppose have a bearing on it. I have for the last year also been using a laptop as my main machine, it has a super 17" widescreen and I think it does naturally make the images appear sharper than on a CRT monitor.

Then there is this new 1D I'm using, I'm not sure if it has definately had an effect on the sharpness of my images, but undoubtedly the 1.3 crop will make some difference. The fact is I rarely need to sharpen at all anymore, except perhaps occasonally the bicubic sharper setting in Save for Web, but for prints they are tack sharp.

How often do you see oversharpened pictures and the halo effect seen along areas of high contrast like skylines etc. Its a common sight it seems to me even amongst the images of some pro shooters. When I've needed to I've found that some careful use of the Smart Sharpen tool can avoid this, I have to say however I have really not seen much advantage in this lab method some use, especially when I see halos in their shots too. I can understand the principle behind it, though little evidence it is better than other methods.
Old 11-06-06, 21:50

Most of the time I just use unsharp mask but I prefer several very light applications rather than a single heavier "hit". I think this provides a more natural result and it doesn't leave a horrible halo.

Last week I downloaded Intellisharpen from the Fred Miranda site http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/IS and I'm very impressed by it. It's essentially a complicated set of actions that's automated into a Photoshop plugin. It's well worth a try.

Last edited by Wheeler; 15-06-06 at 20:12.
Old 12-06-06, 07:52

Do I sharpen? Very, very rarely. When I do, I find there's not much difference, until I get to the point where it gets halos and it looks horrible. When I do sharpen, I find the most usable tool to be Smart Sharpen in CS2.

So, no, I don't find I need to in 99% of all cases.

Duncan.
Old 15-06-06, 19:41

I find the Adobe plugin Smart sharpen from Chroma usefull sometimes.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
Old 11-07-06, 13:56

Is there a general rule of thumb regarding USM values to use in PaintShopPro and Photoshop?

Roy