WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Is it possible to re-size RAW files??

Old 25-03-09, 20:41

Default Is it possible to re-size RAW files??

As a bird watcher 1st and photographer 2nd I tend to post on Bird Forum and there are some very knowlegable & helpful people there.
However this question is specifically camera/computer based.

For the 1st time I used RAW and want to e-mail a RAW file to someone so I can work on it "with them" in order to learn a few basics.
The file is 15.MB so I would like to re-sze as you can with jpeg. so far it looks as though this cannot be done. I have googled the question and again it looks negative.
I have PS3.
Does anyone know if it is possible for this technophobe to do?
Old 25-03-09, 20:54

I doubt very much if you can do this David, it goes against the whole idea of what a raw file is.

Rather than emailing it, you could use your internet service provider's web space (the vast majority of ISP accounts come with some web space for the user to utilise), and upload the raw file to a folder. You could then email your friend a link to the file where they could then download it from.

Contact your ISP, or take a good look around their home page, to find out about user web space, then get hold of a program such as the filezilla client
http://filezilla-project.org/
to upload your raw file.

Duncan
Old 25-03-09, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
I doubt very much if you can do this David, it goes against the whole idea of what a raw file is.
Rather than emailing it, you could use your internet service provider's web space (the vast majority of ISP accounts come with some web space for the user to utilise), and upload the raw file to a folder. You could then email your friend a link to the file where they could then download it from.
Contact your ISP, or take a good look around their home page, to find out about user web space, then get hold of a program such as the filezilla client
http://filezilla-project.org/
to upload your raw file.
Duncan
Yes-I thought it seemed to go against the idea......maybe I should have used a smaller RAW setting in-camera?
Your advise would be good to anyone with 1/2 a brain but from inside my head........ Mind you I should (will) have a look and might surprise myself.
Thanks
Old 25-03-09, 21:48

Hi David,

Try You Post It = http://www.yousendit.com

It is a way of emailing large files and there is a free version.

I use it for people who don't have ftp.

Derek

My New Website
Old 26-03-09, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
......maybe I should have used a smaller RAW setting in-camera?
The raw file is the raw file, there is no option to have a smaller setting for the raw, only smaller jpegs.
Old 26-03-09, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
The raw file is the raw file, there is no option to have a smaller setting for the raw, only smaller jpegs.

I know the Canon 40D does give the option of 2 settings. (RAW & sRAW)

I note that Photoshop ACR gives you the option to resize and save as a .dng which is an Adobe RAW format. Agreed this would suffer from re-sampling artifacts in the same way as re-sampling in Photoshop proper.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 26-03-09, 21:04

Hi David,

Another option is to 'wire' it to the other person. Slight technical hitch though...the person you're sending it to does need to have an FTP address ideally.
Many FTP programs are around on net searches for no or little money. I use coreFTP, but others work just as well.
Assuming the above is done, it's just a simple 'drap and drop' operation to use....and is very quick too.

...just another idea to throw into the pot.

good luck

Last edited by Joe; 26-03-09 at 21:07.
Old 27-03-09, 02:57

Why not zip it, I've just compressed a 15mb NEF down to 9mb using WinRAR, there are other compression programs that could make it even smaller, such as 7zip. Whoever you send it to needs to have similar software installed on their computer in order to re-open it.

nirofo.
Old 07-12-09, 23:20

Hi

I'm a fan of YouSendIt - I often send 64 MB TIFF files to agencies this way.
The free version allows single file transfers rather than batches but it sounds like that will do the job.

Adam

www.adamcoupe.com/portfolio
Old 24-12-09, 12:23
The Wanderer

You can always save it as a TIFF and send It and then get your friend to open it in bridge and then use the command to open in RAW as if the Image was taken In RAW then it will maintain the RAW data and also be a big enough file to work with.
Hope that was of help.

Just realized its an old post . But I'm sure it'll come in handy for you or someone else.

Last edited by The Wanderer; 24-12-09 at 12:26.