WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

How to spot a fake memory card

Old 16-05-07, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
Tannin; This is real genue Seagate 5 GB microdrive. The thing is they purposely made it incompatible with cameras. It works fine otherwise in MP3 devices. The technical explanation is that this was IDE version only, not CF II compatible because of manufacturers hardware modifications.
Wow. That is weird. I mean the CF interface is IDE! If my memory is to be trusted, you can, with a simple mechanical adaptor, plug a CF card into an IDE interface. Bizarre.
Old 25-05-07, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
Zeb, a word of caution on MyMemory own brand SD cards, I put one in my 1D MkIIn and it felt like a tight fit going in. With that one insertion it wrecked the reader slot with just a matter of days to run on the warranty. The design on the slot/cards prevents you inserting the card badly so I have to chalk this up to poor manufacture. I've no idea whether it was a one-off but I'll be sticking to Sandisk in the future.

On the subject of counterfeit Sandisk cards there are some interesting images on this thread:

http://www.ukar.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarbo...hl=counterfeit

The forgers are certainly giving people a difficult job spotting their contemptable products.
Thanks for the heads-up on that! When I buy equipment online I never go for company own brands. I prefer to spend a little bit more and get named but even then it can't be guaranteed that what is beign bought is genuine!