WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Nikon SB22 flash / D50

Old 31-07-06, 08:20

Default Nikon SB22 flash / D50

Wonder if anyone can advise please...
I've picked up a second hand Nikon SB22 flash at what I think is a very good price on 'the old ebay'....I've taken a chance with this as I know next to nothing about flash photography...my thoughts were that the flash itself is apparently a good unit with good reviews for Nikon SLR film cameras & if it wont work with my D50 I can always sell it again & worst case scenario is I'll get my money back.
My questions are...will it work with my D50 with albeit limited functions? Will it do any harm to my camera? Could I keep it to use as part of a flash setup, i.e off camera remote?
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Al.
Old 31-07-06, 10:14
Super Moderator

Al I thought this site may be off interest it has the voltages of most flashguns and a rough idea whether they could work with digital. You do have to be careful as the wrong voltage can damage the electronics.
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 31-07-06, 10:23

I found this on Photo.net

"The SB22 will work on the D50, but in manual only (no TTL)."

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 31-07-06, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tee
Wonder if anyone can advise please...
I've picked up a second hand Nikon SB22 flash at what I think is a very good price on 'the old ebay'....I've taken a chance with this as I know next to nothing about flash photography...my thoughts were that the flash itself is apparently a good unit with good reviews for Nikon SLR film cameras & if it wont work with my D50 I can always sell it again & worst case scenario is I'll get my money back.
My questions are...will it work with my D50 with albeit limited functions? Will it do any harm to my camera? Could I keep it to use as part of a flash setup, i.e off camera remote?
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Al.
Here's a possible solution, do not switch on the camera and do not connect the flash to the camera until you have followed this procedure!

1) Switch on the flashgun.
2) Set the flashgun to TTL.
3) Connect the flash to the camera, (make sure the camera is switched off first).
4) Set the camera to manual.
5) Switch on the camera.

This works for me with an SB24, it should work for SB22.

nirofo.
Old 01-08-06, 13:23

Thanks for the info, Saphire / Robski / Nirofo...little confused with last post, Nrofo's...do I have to go through this proceedure each time or does this proceedure give me extra features?
Al
Old 01-08-06, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tee
Thanks for the info, Saphire / Robski / Nirofo...little confused with last post, Nrofo's...do I have to go through this proceedure each time or does this proceedure give me extra features?
Al

Hi Al Tee

If you want to use TTL you will have to go through this procedure each time you attach your flash unit, you will need to keep it on this setting, if you change to manual you will have to go through the procedure again to go back to TTL. It doesn't give you any extra features.

nirofo.
Old 01-08-06, 14:04

Hi Al Tee

Sorry I gave you slightly misleading info for setting up flash in my previous posts, I have just found my own set of instructions hidden away amongst my voluminous data files, I have copied it below, hope it's of use to you. If you have any further queries please let me know!

nirofo.

SB24 Flash setup for standard TTL

Set up camera, connect off camera flash lead (SC17) if in use to Main Flash or attach flash to camera directly, switch on camera, switch on main flash – select standard TTL, (Pulsating symbol on flash display).

When camera is switched on and an AF electrically coupled lens is in use, flash is controlled by the settings on the camera and on the lens. Metering, compensation, film speed, shutter speed is adjustable in manual mode only, ( the camera sets shutter speed between 1/60 and 1/250 in all other modes). If you want to set shutter speeds lower than 1/60 on the camera to enable lighting control, (such as dark backgrounds), then it is only possible using manual mode on camera body. The lens sets the apertures in manual mode, some programme modes and aperture priority only. AF electrically coupled lens sets aperture and focal length on flash unit.

Flash charge indicator, (lightning bolt symbol in camera viewfinder) winks after flash fired, (the period of winking increases depending on amount of power required, will continue winking if flash strength is insufficient for set up), goes out until flash is recharged, then lights up steadily when ready to fire.
Old 01-08-06, 15:54

Thanks Nirofo...will try it all out when it arrives...panic...sweat...!!!!
Al.
Old 21-01-07, 23:06

well they seem to work fine as i have just purchased one, but can we use both sb22's at the same time with one d50... if so, what do we require.

cheers for any replies
jamie
Old 22-01-07, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieZ740 View Post
well they seem to work fine as i have just purchased one, but can we use both sb22's at the same time with one d50... if so, what do we require.

cheers for any replies
jamie
Jamie,

The simplest device to trigger the second unit is an optical trigger. There is a pic of Foxy's in the Flash Forum Link http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=1859

Don