WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > Games - Photography related of course

Games - Photography related of course Just for fun, anyone can start one, everyone can play, so let have your ideas & have some fun

How about "Then & Now" game?

Old 26-10-18, 16:01

Default How about "Then & Now" game?

Not necessary a Game to win or lose but it could be interesting:

Not too long back, one of the members here (Mo), posted a nostalgic image of his Dad, from many many years back in a park, next to some trees & a relatively specific location. (LINK) and I suggested if he can go and find the same exact location of the park to replicate the image, with himself being the subject this time, after many decades and may be one day his children can do the same...

I've seen many old images posted by other members in relation to landmarks, in the Gallery, here. This bring me to the question that why not use this as an excuse to have some fun?
So here it goes: Game of "Then & Now".
If you have an old image and can reproduce a similar view of that location now, how abut a trial and effort to show how it looks now then post it here for everyone to enjoy? At least its a good excuse to open up that old album and un-dust some memories! Who knows, may be you have a perfect picture of "Then" that can be compared to "Now".

Post your images directly in the gallery and if use the title as above.

Here is a few link to a web page with some similar theme that might be inspiring.

LINK
LINK
LINK
and this LINK that takes it to a different photographic level.

Hope you can participate and fun is the name of the game as unfortunately there is no other prize to win

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 22-11-20, 07:30

GREAT topic! This is one of my favorite types of photography.

I did a bunch of these for a newspaper in NJ back in the early-to-mid '80s (and in some cases added on Google street views for myself later), and in Nashville in 1997. Samples attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg days.jpg (191.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Ryman-large.jpg (158.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Broad-Union.jpg (160.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Hard-Rock-large.jpg (189.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 22-11-20, 12:37

W - o - w ! Mike.
These are amazing.

Your middle picture, "Broad Union" or may I call it TTT or "Time Tunnel Transition" is a mastery of edit to astonishingly convey the topic. At Best!

Your first collage image has too much to see & enjoy... That is beside the very nice history given, including the very nice (And timely sensitive) reference to "Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi" The man who is the creator/designer of one of the most iconic sculptures of our modern world (May I call it One of the Seven Wonder's of our New World"!) the famously elegant "Liberty Enlightening the World" sculpture, that is commonly known as the Statue of Liberty...

I'm surprised that the fire did no damage to the three-story original building (in the back showing identical widows and appearance that looks without a change, since earliest postcard picture of turn or 19th century!!!).
Seems since adding the Annex building to your photography, nothing much is changed except many of the Pines trees are no more in front of the high school building (Seems two have proudly survived!). But the amazing living constants are, first that double tree to the left of the new building that though aged and lost the top of the right side, is standing as proud as before. Then the young tree to its left has grown old, without changing the configuration of branches and handsome shape... And most amazingly, the "Stone Wall"... I can superimpose the stones of your more recent photograph, exactly to the wall image from early 19s... and kudos to the builder (So William Keil, The Healer, and the builder was there!!!). And even more kudos to your pictures that have so beautifully told the story and evolution.

Excellent job in every respect. 👌🙏

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 22-11-20, 18:47

Sassan, thanks for your enthusiastic reply! Here is more info for you.

I attached some more info about Bartholdi as well as posted a separate related PDF.

The school fire took out the original stone building with the bell tower, that area is now a courtyard.

I've also attached another Nashville blend, as well as a lucky juxtaposition involving a horse and buggy and car at the same exact place!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Butler & Bartholdi in photo.jpg (411.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg unioncorner.jpg (55.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg wagoncar.jpg (74.9 KB, 7 views)

Tags
game, then-and-now