WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Canon 20D & File Numbering

Old 10-07-06, 09:37
Super Moderator

Default Canon 20D & File Numbering

I have file numbering set to continuous so that I don't duplicate image numbers, and have taken 2083 images since buying the camera.

Recently I lent one of my CF cards to a friend with a 10D. When I put the card back in my camera and started taking pictures the file numbering has jumped tp 5049!

For some reason my camera has taken on the file numbering from my friends camera. I've tried reformatting the CF card but that has made no difference. Does anyone know how do I reset the numbering back to where it should be for my camera?
Old 10-07-06, 21:37

Snap! Just done exactly the same and I'm scratching my head as to how to re-set it to where it was.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 14-07-06, 20:26
Super Moderator

I also asked Canon the same question and first off they said

"This is normal. The file numbering system will be indicative of the amount of shots taken on the card."

So thinking they had missed the point I referred them back to my original query and they responded

"When the camera is set to Continuous Shooting, it checks the file numbers on the card and gives the next shot the next number.
If the card has been used in a different camera, then file numbers may have been written in a different way to your own, but your camera would then write the next file with a number following on from the last one on the card.

As there are only 2 different ways of setting the file numbering on the camera, Continuous and Auto Reset, it is not possible to set a the numbering on the camera. "

So I think the long & the short of it is we either continue from where we are or go back to 1 but there is nothing in between
Old 14-07-06, 20:43

Well thats a bit naff, and something I had never realised. What they seem to be implying is that if you are rotating a couple of cards, you may be in danger of repeating the same file number if you are continuous. I always thought that when the card was put in the camera and and switched on a new folder was created and the file numbering continued from where it had left off before. Lifes too short however to bother testing it
Old 14-07-06, 22:41

I didn't even take any photos with my card - I just put it into my camera and formatted it but it still picked up on the last numbered file and continued from there. It's annoying but, as Stephen says, life's too short to bother about it!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 17-07-06, 07:57

Has anyone tried putting the card into a reader on a PC, changing the file name (number) of the last image taken to be the number you want to start numbering from, and then inserting that into the camera.

For example, in the first post, Clive would take the card with picture number 5049 on it, move all files except 5049 to a drive on the PC and rename file 5049 to be file 2084. Insert this into the camera and see which number it picks up from.

When I updated the firmware on my Pentax, I had to do this trick to get the file numbering sequence back as, post-update, the camera started numbering from 0001 again.

Duncan.
Old 17-07-06, 14:34
Super Moderator

Duncan

Tried your idea but unfortunately it didn't work

However it did set me thinking and I've found a technique that works using your idea as a basis.

1) Delete all but the last image from the card and rename the last image to the file number one before you want to start with - in my case 2083, and rename the folder that it is in appropriately - 120CANON in my case. (in continuous numbering Canon store 100 images per folder starting at 100CANON for images 0001 to 0100 then 101CANON for 0101-0200 etc so images between 2001 and 2100 would be in folder 120CANON)
2) copy this folder to you PC
3) then format the card in a card reader
4) BEFORE putting the card in the camera, set the file numbering system to "auto reset" and then insert the card.
5) take a picture and it will have file number 0001 in folder 100
6) put the card back in the card reader and copy across the folder & image created in step 2
7) BEFORE putting the card back in the camera set the file numbering system to "continuous" the insert the card
8) take image number 2084

Thanks for starting me thinking Duncan
Old 17-07-06, 20:59

Glad it worked out for you Clive. I'm surprised you need to do steps 4) and 5) but then that's software for you.
Old 23-08-06, 13:14
Super Moderator

Talking

Wouldn't just deleting the folders off the card do the same thing. I am getting a new camera tomorrow and will have to use my card out off my 350D until the new one arrives next week. The folder out of my 350D is 370 on caculations thats 37,000 images. I don't want to start with that Number in my new camera. I will if I have to do the above but would have thought just deleting that folder would do the same.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 23-08-06, 18:19
Super Moderator

Not sure Cristine - probably. I would format the card in a card reader before putting in your new camera to be on the safe side. You only need to follow this procedure if the new camera picks up the numbering from your 350D.

Go on tell us, tell us - what you getting?