WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Overcoming resizing hell?

Old 14-12-07, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw_aurora View Post
I second Duncan's request for info on how you are currently doing it Matt.

Until then, simple steps in Photoshop...

1. Select menu item Image->Image size...

2. Check the boxes "Constrain proportions" and "Resample Image".

3. Select "Bicubic Sharper" from the resample drop-down. I used to use Bilinear and then apply extra sharpening afterwards, but with CS2 and CS3 have used Bicubic for most web images and get favourable results with most images.

4. Type the width (or height) you want the longest edge in the relevant box at the top. For example, I would type 800 in width for a landscape orientated image.

5. Click OK

6. Apply a little sharpening (e.g. USM) only if it needs it...

7. Save as JPEG and adjust the quality to adjust the final file size (or save for web and adjust the quality to adjust the final file size.
I would go along with this all the way, especially item 7 about adjusting the quality to give you the desired file size - as stated in my previous post there is very little difference between a high and low jpeg quality when viewing (printing is a different ball game).

I never use 'save for web' as it strips the Exif.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 14-12-07, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
This is an interesting thread for me because I had trouble to start with and I now do all my resizes with Photoshop Elements. I aim for 480x360 pixels -sometimes I get away with 600x400 which seems to come in around 250 k - just under the site 300 k limit for uploads. If I tried 800x800 the upload would be rejected. How do others resize for uploads?
Andy,

You aren't doing your pictures justice by using this method. Most members seem to have their screens set up to view pictures with a max width of 1024 pixels (landscape) or height of 800 (portrait). If your squeezing them down to 600x400 then people really won't be appreciating them at their best. Try resizing to the max dimensions I've given (depending on format) and varying the jpeg compression to about 70% of the max. As Roy says, it can make very little difference, but this depends on how complex the picture is.

This has been discussed at great length in several other threads.

Duncan
Old 14-12-07, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Matt,

Can you give a fuller description of what you are doing please? Which software are you using to do this resizing? Which particular series of clicks are you going through to get the results you are doing? We may be able to help you a bit more if we have these details. I'd say you're using too high compression with jpeg images from the examples.

As Foxy has said, it should not be a result of using a compact camera, despite what Ken Rockwell would have you believe.

Regards,

Duncan
Thanks

To resize down to 800x600 pixels I simply use a free download tool from power toys plus?, downloaded it last year and never had cause to use anything else...I don't currently use any software from Photoshop.

I don't seem to have had ''too'' many of these problems with the last three images in my gallery.

Thanks for the responses everyone

Matt
Old 15-12-07, 00:49

There is an element of truth in what Foxy is saying if the original image is poor. i.e blurred. Generally the image will look sharper when down-sampled.

If the original is sharp then you are at the mercy of the re-sampling algorithm. Some are quick and dirty while others try to take into account what else maybe happening in that area of the image which entails more processing.

I am often accused of pixel peeping but I find it helps explain what is really happening. I've knock up a couple of simple images in Photoshop and down sampled them using a crude method and the bilinear method to compare against the original. The set in the top row are of a diagonal line with random noise added. The bottom set are just the line. The original was 480 x 480 pixels and down sampled to 233 x 233 pixels. The attached are 50 x 50 pixel crops blown up by 600%. In the crude method the resultant pixel is simply voted in or out by the majority. The bilinear method has dithered to retain some data instead of completely removing it. The dithering has caused a blurring hence the need for some degree of sharpening after the re-sampling.

The method outlined by Mark is tried and tested and gives good results.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 26-07-11 at 22:34.
Old 15-12-07, 08:26

Thanks all - I have always gone for highest quality jpegs - I'll use your advice from now on and maybe repost some of my images.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 15-12-07, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
..... and maybe repost some of my images.
Andy,

If you don't want to lose any comments you have already received, you can use the "edit photo" link on the appropriate gallery image page and replace the original image with the resized one.

Duncan
Old 15-12-07, 17:05

Thanks Duncan, I found that button and have just replaced one or two images.
Andy M.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 27-12-07, 00:42

Hi Matt
Although I now have a digital SLR as well as a compact and Photoshop Elements 5 I still use the freebie Faststone for resizing my pictures.
I find that resizing down to 800 X 600 usually gives better results than resizing less !!!
Might be worth trying Faststone for cropping, resizing and sharpening as I do.
It's free & it might work for you.
Cheers : Ian Mc
PS Hi everyone from an expat Scot in Christchurch New Zealand.